Making tools the old fashioned way. Anyone practice this trade?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW6ac7AaA6w]YouTube - Making a Tracker Knife[/ame]
    Obviously the fellow in the video isnt doing exactly the old way, and I can respect his desire to implement new techonology in it.

Im not sure how practical the Trakker (SP?) is, given the dimensions, appears almost clumsly, but thanks to Hollyfool, everyone has to own one.

Anyways, this thread isnt about the Trakker.

I like unique, custom, hand forged knives, something about them is mystic in they're beauty, history and that is obviously appealing.

So Im curious, any hand forgers call INGO home?

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Sounds like a great skill to have. Was really fun to watch AFTER the knife maker stopped narrating. Some people do not have good voices for video/audio.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Been doing it for about 6-7 years now. I have a small forum called Primal Fires where that's all we do. I did all my work on a hand crank forge that was built in 1890something before it got stolen. I'll buy another one but waiting till I settle down again (that stuff's hard to move).

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've tinkered around on a forge for quite awhile now. I don't get as much time as I want, but I've made a few knives in the last year. This one I made out of rebar, it's hard, holds a good edge.
    b42fca50.jpg

Last edited:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Thanks. Can you see the whole pic? I can't! I just get the top! It was fun to make, didn't take to long. I need to make a few more for gifts and to sell, some day I'll have the time.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have not made a knife, but I have made several fireplace pokers and other implements that aid in keeping a fire going in hearth and home. Learned it from my grandfather when I was 15 and tinkered on and off with Smithing since then. When I finish grad school I plan to celebrate by taking classes at Connor Prairie by the Blacksmith there to fill in much need gaps (welding, etc.)

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Viking, sent you a pm. Nice work Kinards! One of my buddies in Chicago, Rob Rossdeutscher, made a parang out of rebar and actually used in in a Blade magazine cutting competition. If I remember right he came in 4th or 3rd in that one. Some rebar will make a good knife. Best way to know for sure is to run a grinder off it and if you get a good shower of sparks, try heating a piece of it to bright red (or if you have a magnet, to where the magnet won't be attracted to it anymore) then dunk it in oil (corn oil is ok). Leave it in there until it's cool to the touch. Then run a file across it. If the file just skates across the top and doesn't bite in, you've got a good steel for making a knife.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Varies. I picked up a small 4" tanto from Rob for 200 bucks. I'm guessing something seax size would run 600ish+ but you'd have to work that out with the individual smith. It also depends on the smith. I think Rob underpriced himself when he sold me that blade.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Thanks for the info timinmishawaka. I'll try that, I typically use old motor oil, I have plenty of that lying around. The tool room guys at work keep me up to speed on how to heat treat steel by type. There are some you have to let air harden. It's crazy how many different types there are. My knife pictured above Rockwell tested at 58-59! A little too hard, but I know not to pry with a knife, so I should be ok!

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    hand made these my first 2 knives,,ats34 stainless super nasty hard steel.full tang the wood is austrailian lace wood,i would not choose that wood again looks good but soft,all other metal is sterling silver,rivits, pummel, bolster.skinner took 30 hours,drop point 27 hours.learned alot on these..oh i did not use a grinder lol.
    picture.php
    picture.php

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    mastersmiths! making 10" blades with stag handles, while scowling, for hundreds of years! lol......

forging is an art.... some people find it easier, some find it harder.... me, i've never had the urge to play with fire that much.... just adds another set of equipment, and doesn't gain anything for me. this is just ME, though. millions of people wouldn't make a knife any other way than forging.

nova, those knives look great!

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I have not made a knife, but I have made several fireplace pokers and other implements that aid in keeping a fire going in hearth and home. Learned it from my grandfather when I was 15 and tinkered on and off with Smithing since then. When I finish grad school I plan to celebrate by taking classes at Connor Prairie by the Blacksmith there to fill in much need gaps (welding, etc.)

Did you ever take the class at Conner Prairie? One is getting ready to start and I am thinking about signing up. I have been searching for reviews with no luck.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Yep. I hand forge hammers, punches, chisels and more tools daily. I forge other items as well such as fire pit coolers, grill sets and more. Once and a while a grind a knife. Or two.

Top Bottom