• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I am not a knife guy, I dont carry a knife almost ever, and recently I have been thinking that is a hole in my personal protection plan. I have also developed a passionate lust for an Emerson Karambit folder. Today on ebay I find a Karmabit folder that looks nearly identical from a company called Fox Cutlery. This knife also has the "wave feature" and they claim that they are liscenced by Emerson to use it. I am curious if anyone has any info on Fox Cutlery, or if they have a reputation at all. Cost for this knife was $118 which is about half of a Emerson, however still a good bit of money for a knife. Is this a cheap imitation? or a lesser known value?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I am not a knife guy, I dont carry a knife almost ever, and recently I have been thinking that is a hole in my personal protection plan. I have also developed a passionate lust for an Emerson Karambit folder. Today on ebay I find a Karmabit folder that looks nearly identical from a company called Fox Cutlery. This knife also has the "wave feature" and they claim that they are liscenced by Emerson to use it. I am curious if anyone has any info on Fox Cutlery, or if they have a reputation at all. Cost for this knife was $118 which is about half of a Emerson, however still a good bit of money for a knife. Is this a cheap imitation? or a lesser known value?

Fox knives are made in Italy and are considered to be a high quality knife. Their upper end knives usually use N690Co Cobalt vanadium stainless for their blades. I have seen and handled a few of them and they seem to be very good.. but a bit pricey. I don't think $118 is a bad deal if they are using the better steel (N690Co) for their blades. What you have to watch out for is some of their lower end knives use 420 stainless...if this is the case I wouldn't pay $118 for it. :twocents:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

BUY THE EMERSON!!
    I promise you'll love it.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Brad, I checked and it is made of N690 steel. I gambled on it, and ordered one today and will be glad to post a review when it arrives.

Trader, I went back and forth and gambled on this one, but I will go with a real Emerson Commander here shortly. I dont know if I will actually carry both everyday, but if not, I will have one in my day pack and one on my person.

Thanks for the response guys, and if anyone else has more info, I would love to hear it.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Brad, I checked and it is made of N690 steel. I gambled on it, and ordered one today and will be glad to post a review when it arrives.

Trader, I went back and forth and gambled on this one, but I will go with a real Emerson Commander here shortly. I dont know if I will actually carry both everyday, but if not, I will have one in my day pack and one on my person.

Thanks for the response guys, and if anyone else has more info, I would love to hear it.

Pics and a review would be great....I look forward to it! :yesway:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    When I'm working security, I always have my karambit in my weak side pocket. My only regret was not getting the super karambit. With a little practice, it will feel like part of your hand.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I recieved my Fox Karambit today and am very pleased! It appears to be very well made, solid, and an overall good piece of kit. I will say that it does not appear to be as sharp as I had hoped, not dull just not as good as I expected. I do think that a quick clean up on a ceramic stick will make it a very useful tool. I will try to do some form of testing in the next couple days and let everyone know what that yields.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I love it!! It was not very sharp at all as it arrived, but my brother worked on it for less than 5 mins and it is plenty fine to shave your arm with. It costs half of an Emerson, has an Emerson patent on it, and seems thus far to be well above my expectations.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Way late to this party (as usual) but I'm not surprised that you're happy with your Fox knife. I bought one of their little hand ax/hatchets from A.G. Russell several years back, and it's proven to be a doozy!

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    Congrats on the K-BIT! Did you get the G10 or ALU.
    The price(double the price of the Fox) you quoted for the Emerson is the Full MSRP and is not what most dealers charge. I got my EmersonCombat Karambit for $159 shipped last month.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Also late to the party. Fox has some very nice knives, beautifully made. They have a small, discrete dagger that is as good as anything I've ever seen. However, as mentioned, they are expensive. I can get some custom knives for less than their production prices.

Top Bottom