• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’ve been reading The Cutting Edge more and more in the last year and you guys have killed me as I’ve fallen in love with better and better knives.
    I just bought a RTAK II from Ontario Knives. I know there are many politics been ESEE and Ontario. I don’t mean for this to be a "Versus Post". This is just my report from my limited experience.
    I decide on the Ontario RTAK II because I love the ESEE Izula that I bought from Knife Lady about 6 months ago. I’ve been debating between the various models of the ESEE’s for months now trying to decide my next one. I decided I was looking for something sizable to use in the woods, something different than a machete but something that had many uses. Money is a huge factor for me, but I know you get what you pay for. I wanted to buy the ESEE Junglas but decided to go the route of the RTAK II because of the considerably lower cost.
    picture.php

Here’s the specs:
    Manufacturer: Ontario Knives, Franklinville, NY
    Designer: Jeff Randall
    Blade: Drop Point, 1095 Carbon Steel with foliage green powder coating, 10.25 inches long, 3/16” thick
    Handle: 6.5 inches long, canvas micarta (lanyard hole in the pommel)
    Sheath: Molle compatible, hard plastic covered with Cordura nylon. Utility pouch on the outside
    Weight: 2.2 pounds
    Price I paid: $86 without shipping.
    picture.php

(Notice I have some of Tyler34's handy work hanging from my backpack/Izula sheath...)
    I took it to the woods today and worked it over some. I chopped a few small trees down, used the knife to split some logs using a baton that I made from one of the small trees I cut. It performed better than I could have hoped. I really love this knife. It didn’t seem too big at all once I had it in action. It also cleaned up nicely considering the workout it got for its initial trip.
    picture.php

picture.php

Pros:
    Seemed great for working in the woods, cutting and splitting wood. Perfect fit for my hand. Hand wasn’t sore after using it for a few hours.
    Very Sharp from the factory.
    Price.
    Sheath has a lot of options for wearing/mounting using the Molle connectors, plus I like the utility pouch.

Cons:
    Not ESEE.
    Sheath it not Kydex like the Junglas’.
    Didn’t buy it local.
    A little heavy for general machete-type brush clearing.

picture.php

That's my review. I welcome your feedback and ideas. I'll let you know how it holds up on subsequent trips or if I have any problems or complaints in the future.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    To heck with what people say about the EESE vs Ontario debate. Both are solid knives. and I don't know anyone who has personally broke either of them. I've been sporting Ontario Knives for years, done lots of camping and hiking, shelter building, and fire building. Ontario is a wonderful and reputable knife company. I have wanted an RTAK II for a long long time. Because of there price i went with an Ontario SP-5. Its great as well. I bet that RTAK II makes for a hell of a chopper. Great buy my friend. Expect some rep incoming for the review.

+1 Ontario

Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    I can confirm the RTAK II is a great knife. I joined Shoots4fun to break in my new Ka-Bar.

The finish on the RTAK is great and it is extremely sharp. I would not hesitate to buy it.

BTW, could not be happier with my new BK2.
    picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    To heck with what people say about the EESE vs Ontario debate. Both are solid knives. and I don't know anyone who has personally broke either of them. I've been sporting Ontario Knives for years, done lots of camping and hiking, shelter building, and fire building. Ontario is a wonderful and reputable knife company. I have wanted an RTAK II for a long long time. Because of there price i went with an Ontario SP-5. Its great as well. I bet that RTAK II makes for a hell of a chopper. Great buy my friend. Expect some rep incoming for the review.

+1 Ontario

I don't want to get off track here, the Ontario knives themselves are still pretty decent. The main reason why people are down on Ontario is the absolutely horrible way they treated Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin, to include trying to trademark Jeff's name and sue him to keep him from using his own name in the knife business. Ontario's reputation today is in large part due to Jeff and Mike and Ontario turned around and did them wrong.:dunno:

Regardless, the Ontario stuff is not up to the quality of ESEE (due to the manufacturing process), but it is still more than most people will ever need. I kept my Ontario RAT-7 because it means something special to me--Jeff personally gave it to me in S. America. But the rest of the stuff, I did away with and won't buy them any more.

But, the quality of the knife itself is still pretty decent.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I don't want to get off track here, the Ontario knives themselves are still pretty decent. The main reason why people are down on Ontario is the absolutely horrible way they treated Jeff Randall and Mike Perrin, to include trying to trademark Jeff's name and sue him to keep him from using his own name in the knife business. Ontario's reputation today is in large part due to Jeff and Mike and Ontario turned around and did them wrong.:dunno:

Regardless, the Ontario stuff is not up to the quality of ESEE (due to the manufacturing process), but it is still more than most people will ever need. I kept my Ontario RAT-7 because it means something special to me--Jeff personally gave it to me in S. America. But the rest of the stuff, I did away with and won't buy them any more.

But, the quality of the knife itself is still pretty decent.

^^^^THIS^^^^
    :+1:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    All i was saying is that, regardless of anything that went down between the companies, Ontario makes a great knife, I'm willing to say the best knife per dollar of any knife company out there, when you compare knives in the same class. and the RTAK II petty much tops the list as a great survival blades under 100 bucks. Even that Nutnfancy guy loves it.

Top Bottom