• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    This morning I found myself with a very dull hunting knife and a broken Smith's sharpening kit listed below.

Sports Authority - Smith's Standard Precision Knife Sharpening Kit

The Smith's kit was cumbersome and I never could get the angle right (it's a guided angle system). I don't know whether it was inferior quality or my frustration that broke it, but there it was in pieces anyways.

So I scour the Intarloops looking for THE knife sharpener. The one that is idiot-proof. Read several knife related forums and found that the Spyderco Sharpmaker was THE kit to have under $100. Found the cheapest Sharpmaker on eBay and it was $47 dollars delivered.

Unfortunately, I have the patience of a 3-year old and had to have it today. So I went out looking for one and ended up at PSS. Bob didn't have the Spyderco, but he had something similar. A Lansky Deluxe Crock Sticks kit. I gladly paid the $16 as it was the same design and concept of the Sharpmaker.

I got this thing home and opened the package. Hi-Larious!!!! The the box flips open (ala a "hitter" box :D) and a set of medium and fine rods were found.

Five minutes with this bad boy and I had an el-cheapo Buck folder shaving sharp! Not to mention it was $30 dollars cheaper than the Spyderco. Yeah, Yeah it doesn't do scissors or fish hooks or broadheads - it only does knives. $16!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob still has two or three in stock, if you're interested!

Here's the cheapest version on the web for those outside of Indy.

Lansky Sharpeners LCD5D Four Rod Turn-Box Sharpener

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Crock sticks are the shiznit. I bought a standard set for ten bucks and couldn't be more impressed. The medium grit plus a good strop on my belt leaves an amazing edge.

Top Bottom