• ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Dan Koster makes good knives.

If you buy something from him, IT MUST BE SOMETHING THAT IS READY TO SHIP THEN.

Some folks are good businessmen. Some folks are good bladesmiths. Occasionally the two meet. Not this occasion.

How much do I say?

Search deep on Bladeforums for details. If you really consider buying something, feel free to PM me - I'll give you full details of MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

An experience that lasted nearly two years with my money in his hands and repeated - over and over and over and over - promises for repayment that were broken again and again. (Lies.)

These are things I will say to his face. We've met a few times in the past. I had expected to have a face-to-face at Blade last year but he finally made good (after much coercion) about two months before Blade show.

Everyone runs into problems. I understand that. It's how a man deals with those problems - AND HONESTLY DEALS WITH OTHERS - that defines his character.

This was a Koster blade that I owned. I sold it.

IMG_3135.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i agree with paddling completely. don't place a order with him. the above account is completely true which is why i bought both my blades secondary market. i want a freaking monster nessie but am poor and cant quite afford one yet

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    yes, sir!

really good knives! but make sure it is built before you send your money. he won't rob you, but you will be waiting. this is EXACTLY why i won't take money up front.

woodswalker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Minnapolis
    I ordered my knife over 4 years ago. No response to emails over the years and only recently when I asked for a refund did Mr. Koster reply that he didn't give refunds, I just have to wait, try to sell my spot or just walk away. What a jerk. I still have all the emails from 4 years ago when he estimated delivery in 6 to 12 months. There a list out there of all the orders he took years ago (over 800 according to him) and he claims he's still working on the list yet I don't think anything has been delivered for over a year. Meantime he is still taking large orders from dealers and even did a Kickstarter project and committed to another batch of knives (none of which have been delivered yet). I understand that things happen and delivery dates get pushed back but this guy has taken thousands of dollars from customers and instead of delivering their knives he's off signing up more suckers on Kickstarter.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    well I would say this sounds like a lot of drama for a knife. custom knives ar like custom AR platforms. The cup runneth over and a maker who can balance the scale of business and craftsmanship gets left behind....I can say prolly one of the best experiences I had with a custom make was with Jeff White.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I ordered my knife over 4 years ago. No response to emails over the years and only recently when I asked for a refund did Mr. Koster reply that he didn't give refunds, I just have to wait, try to sell my spot or just walk away. What a jerk. I still have all the emails from 4 years ago when he estimated delivery in 6 to 12 months. There a list out there of all the orders he took years ago (over 800 according to him) and he claims he's still working on the list yet I don't think anything has been delivered for over a year. Meantime he is still taking large orders from dealers and even did a Kickstarter project and committed to another batch of knives (none of which have been delivered yet). I understand that things happen and delivery dates get pushed back but this guy has taken thousands of dollars from customers and instead of delivering their knives he's off signing up more suckers on Kickstarter.

Lots of stories like this on bladeforums.com.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Damn, that sucks, kind of like Nocturnal knives and a lot of other makers. I know a custom maker and had him build me a knife, I've known him for years and asked if he wanted a couple hundred down up front (I knew he'd make the knife and wouldn't jerk me around), he said no, makers should never take money from people before you build the knife. If you don't have the self funds to build it before you make it, you shouldn't be a knife maker

Top Bottom