• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    The purpose of this thread is to discuss anything and everything relating to tomahawks.

I am completely new to them and wish to learn more. I'm in the process of getting a couple cold steel spike hawks via group buy. (Thanks to OneBadV8 and Kinnards80 for setting it up!)

My first question is about sharpening the bottom side of the blade as seen in the second hawk from the left in this picture of some nice hawks owned by Fireaxes.

tomahawk005.jpg

Other than the fact that it just looks cool, I can see how it would make it more effective hooking and pulling a limb or neck in a combat situation. Is there any downside to doing this? Could it have any affect on how well a hawk throws?

I have lots of other questions, but I'll start with this for now.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I might know some one with the equipment to sharpen things;) but really a grinder or belt sander will get the job done.

I plan on making sure my hawks get a thorough beating. So I can't see taking extraordinary efforts beyond what I could do myself to put an edge on them.

But as I said, I'm new to this so if I'm wrong, somebody tell my why.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    The one you mentioned is a Cold Steel Vietnam hawk.

Some models are easier to sharpen in this area than others. Won't make a bit of difference when it comes to throwing them. On that note, I don't recommend throwing the Vietnam style hawks (the middle 2). They are not really designed for it. The last one is a SOG and is reinforced, would hold up a little better on softer targets.

Throwing hawks are styled a bit different. Wider blades and softer steel to absorb some of the shock. Usually they are made to be able to replace the handles easily too. Yes, you can throw about anything and be successful. Some styles are just easier than others.
    The top one is fairly typical of most throwing hawks.
    tomahawk003.jpg

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If you do use a grinder, or belt sander to sharpen anything, don't let the metal get too hot for you to touch. If the steel changes colors, you can alter its hardness, and possibly lessen its usefulness.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    When you sharpen the beard of a hawk it will allow you to "can open" out of materials like a car door or trunk. I havnt seen any real downside to having it sharp other than that's just one more place it can cut you with!:D

So its called the "beard"! I knew there was probably a name for it but I couldn't remember. But I'm learning! :yesway:

If you do use a grinder, or belt sander to sharpen anything, don't let the metal get too hot for you to touch. If the steel changes colors, you can alter its hardness, and possibly lessen its usefulness.

That's good advice for any blade. :yesway:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    OK, next question.

What are the advantages of having a wooden handle verses a hawk constructed of one solid piece of steel as pictured below? (This is the same hawk featured in Kinnard's video)

images

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    OK, next question.

What are the advantages of having a wooden handle verses a hawk constructed of one solid piece of steel as pictured below? (This is the same hawk featured in Kinnard's video)

images

Actually, the advantage would be with the solid tomahawk.
    A RMJ hawk will cost you!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Actually, the advantage would be with the solid tomahawk.
    A RMJ hawk will cost you!

Advantage in what way? Strength? Throwing? And don't throw big words at me without explaining yourself! What's a RMJ? Sure, I could google it, but that's what you guys are for.

I was actually kind of interested in these because if I got a hold of a decent piece of steel, it looks like it might not be that hard to make one.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Sorry, I posted and ran. Had to take care of something.

Anyway, no cracked or broken handles like with wood. The head would not work loose either like on a traditional hawk.
    I did see a thread where an INGO member made his own one piece hawk and it looked pretty good.

If you are wanting a throwing hawk, I would buy a couple made just for that purpose. Spare handles are cheap and a good idea too.

Now RMJ tactical is the king of combat tomahawks. Hit his website and look around. Then tell me what you think.
    http://www.rmjtactical.com/

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Wood handles all the way! One piece hawks take away from the versatility hawks were designed for. The only reason for a one piece hawk would be combat and rescue type things. If you break a wood handle hawk in the field all you do is find the nearest tree and make a new one. You can't do that with a broken one piece hawk. I'm on my phone right now but when I get home I'll post a video about the versatility of traditional tomahawks.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    I think the 400 + price tag and months of lead time are a little out of my league for now. Awesome weapons though!

I think you will notice there is not one in my collection. I can't quite commit yet to the $. Too much other stuff to buy now. Instant gratification is where it's at for me. I always want my stuff delivered yesterday!

Seriously, pick up a few of the Cold Steels. The Trail Hawks are nice all around hawks. I need to get one of the Spike Hawks myself. The Norse or Frontier would make good throwers. Despite the name, I don't care for the Rifleman hawk. Too big/heavy and not well balanced in my opinion. I threw mine in my truck in case I ever need to hack through a building, I have not used it.

Last edited:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Seriously, pick up a few of the Cold Steels. The Trail Hawks are nice all around hawks. I need to get one of the Spike Hawks myself. The Norse or Frontier would make good throwers. Despite the name, I don't care for the Rifleman hawk. Too big/heavy and not well balanced in my opinion. I threw mine in my truck in case I ever need to hack through a building, I have not used it.

I've already ordered a couple spike hawks. :rockwoot:
    images

I'm sure these won't be the only ones I will get eventually.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Sorry, I posted and ran. Had to take care of something.

Anyway, no cracked or broken handles like with wood. The head would not work loose either like on a traditional hawk.
    I did see a thread where an INGO member made his own one piece hawk and it looked pretty good. Thanks:D

If you are wanting a throwing hawk, I would buy a couple made just for that purpose. Spare handles are cheap and a good idea too.

Now RMJ tactical is the king of combat tomahawks. Hit his website and look around. Then tell me what you think.
    RMJTACTICAL.COM

Wood handles all the way! One piece hawks take away from the versatility hawks were designed for. The only reason for a one piece hawk would be combat and rescue type things. If you break a wood handle hawk in the field all you do is find the nearest tree and make a new one. You can't do that with a broken one piece hawk. I'm on my phone right now but when I get home I'll post a video about the versatility of traditional tomahawks.
    There are several advantages to a wooden handle, easy to make one is one. I made my one piece tatical just because I always wanted one, didnt want to spend the $400 on a RMJ. That does not meen their not worth that, I just don't have it. If you ever want to make one I would be happy to help Suprtek.:yesway:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    There are several advantages to a wooden handle, easy to make one is one. I made my one piece tatical just because I always wanted one, didnt want to spend the $400 on a RMJ. That does not meen their not worth that, I just don't have it. If you ever want to make one I would be happy to help Suprtek.:yesway:

How about starting me off with a link to the thread about it?

Top Bottom