• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Since we have this fancy knife forum and all, it begs the eternal question,

Fixed blade or folder for personal protection, and why?

I know it’s been debated on other forums, but let’s ask this group too.

I’ll start, yes on both accounts. My primary is a fixed blade. It deploys much faster, and more reliably than even the best of waved folders, and facilitates the grip rip and stick method of defense. Since we don’t have a bunch of laws in Indiana regarding fixed blade carry, I do. My current choice is a Shivworks Clinch Pick.

I also carry a folder, because it makes a nice utility piece when I don’t want to drag out the fixed blade in front of the sheep. It also allows me to have access to a knife with both hands without having to compromise the carry locations to make the same blade accessible to both. Again, the current choice is a waved Benchmade Griptillian.

Let’s see what the rest of you are doing, and why. Do any of you carry a folder in the open position in a kydex sheath (i.e. the in fight access sheaths) to use more like a fixed blade without the legal ramifications?

No posts without a why, those are useless. Pics are good if you're doing something different the the norm.

Tinman….

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry a waved Emerson CQC-14.

I've never really given carrying a fixed blade a thought, although I'm big enough to carry and conceal a pretty big one. I've found that the wave action deploys the blade quickly and reliably, which is all I ask for in knife.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, I generally don't carry a knife for "protection". My knives are all tools :)

I carry a folder because I can get away with it at all times. I open and break down boxes just about every day, for example. I keep a fixed blade and a hatchet pretty close by, though.. just because you never know when you're gonna need something a little bit stronger..

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The only fixed blade I've ever carried for more than a little while was my Becker Necker (until I lost it), worn on some 550 cord around my neck. The primary intent was utility. I haven't carried a knife specifically for defensive use since I moved home from California.

An interesting trend is the small fixed blades like Tinman carries. If you carry them on the centerline of your body (like over or behind the belt buckle), they are easily accessible to either hand very quickly. One of the uses is when you're being overwhelmed by a larger, stronger, and/or more skilled attacker. The small fixed blade doesn't need to be opened (which could be impossible in a clinch) and is ready to go right away. Even waved knives have to be in either pocket or in a special sheath. You might not be able to reach a pocket on either side, but you can usually get at least one hand to the midline of your body.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Tinman, you sure don't have the highest post count, but I always make sure to read them when you do!

My "always" knife is a waved Spyderco Endura. Clipped in the right pocket, I use it mostly for untility purposes (I guess ALWAYS, as I've never cut anyone with it). My thinking is that it could also be used in a self-defense situation if need be.

However, I'm always a bit skeptical, because although I've had some formal training in the world of pistols, I've never had any type of training in the defensive use of knives. Sure, a stab is a stab, and a slash is a slash, but I'd really like to know exactly how to effectively use a technique before I start hacking away. That is why I've stayed away from most fixed blades thus far.

Here is a knife I've tried carrying IWB in the past:
    k9usg1.jpg

I never took the time to find a "good" holster, and carrying it was somewhat awkward. The same went when I tried a TDI knife.

So, back to your original question: I believe a fixed blade is best for personal protection, however I do not currently carry one. A folder is great for utility purposes, and can be used to defend one's self in a pinch, but I don't believe it is best suited for this purpose.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I recommend a fixed blade or a folder with a locking blade. Swiss Army knives are super nice for utility knives but suck for a defensive knife.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Fixed blade or folder for personal protection, and why?

Both! It is purely situational on which or what. Daily EDC is a Spyderco Endura 4 with a wave, right front pocket. Occasional EDC and actually quite concealable is a Cold Steel Spikesheathed behind the belt to just the left of my midline. These two knives are rarely used, but are carried A LOT. I EDC a folding box cutter as an everyday work knife, along with a SOG PowerPlier.

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Daily carry is a Kershaw Leek, more for utility than personal protection. Working in uniform around civilians, anything larger tends to make them geek. (Considering where I work, that's a pun)

Daily carry in Iraq and my current carry when I'm going someplace hinky is a Cold Steel Recon 1 tanto point. The weight of the blade spine makes it a fast on-hand deploy and I'm not worried about it being too little for the job.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    First off, let me say that knives scare the sh*t out of me. Someone who really knows how to use one, doubly so. Being Steve Tarani's meat puppet in a Karambit demo will do that to a guy. ;)

What little knife training I've had has been as an aside to pistol courses; the instructor taught the use of the knife as an "anti-grappling device" to complement the pistol, rather than as a primary weapon in and of itself.

In that spirit, I carry a couple Spyderco Native III folders, one on each side, all the time. They are primarily used for utility purposes, but I keep them sharp so they could serve in a defensive role if called upon. Nice thing about them is that nobody seems to consider them "weapons" - I've carried them openly in any number of places that have "no weapons" signs posted.

The fact that I carry two, and that they have fairly large, partially serrated blades is enough to cause some anxiety amongst bystanders when I have to bust one out to perform some menial task. My workplace and daily mode of dress precludes carrying anything more substantial or fixed-blade, even if I had the training to properly employ it.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    First off, let me say that knives scare the sh*t out of me. Someone who really knows how to use one, doubly so. Being Steve Tarani's meat puppet in a Karambit demo will do that to a guy. ;)

That is a fact!! Took Tarani's Edged Weapon Defense class a year or 2 back. I still get the heebie-geebies thinking about how fast that man can move... His sash (or whatever is is called) is just about as scary as the blade.

Always carry a folder, usually Emerson Commander or M-Wave. I've got to re-read the policy manual for work to see if fixed-blades are OK on-duty.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That is a fact!! Took Tarani's Edged Weapon Defense class a year or 2 back. I still get the heebie-geebies thinking about how fast that man can move... His sash (or whatever is is called) is just about as scary as the blade.

You should see some small Filipino dudes move if you want to see fast. I apparently failed to have that piece of the genetic melange passed to me.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To answer your question, Mister Smarty McSmartypants, I'll have to go with:

small
    fast
    and half of the Filipino part

I'm marginally a dude. I've even been addressed as "dude" by chicks.

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    both
    the fixed blade for defense only (you never know when you will need one)
    and a folder in front pocket for every day use

Top Bottom