• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Good morning all. I recently purchased an old sharpening steel that I would like to have reground for sharpening my kitchen knives. Does anyone know of a local Indy resource that can regrind it for me? I understand that many will look at this method of sharpening as old school but it seems to work for me.

Thanks

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    A steel does not actually sharpen a an edge. It re aligns an edge which has folded over. It will feel like a new edge but really you are just straightening what you had before. They are useful to restore an edge which has folded but to hone an edge you need a good stone. As for regrinding a steel I would just get a new one. It probably still works unless it was seriously abused. I've never heard of anyone that will regrind one.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good morning all. I recently purchased an old sharpening steel that I would like to have reground for sharpening my kitchen knives. Does anyone know of a local Indy resource that can regrind it for me? I understand that many will look at this method of sharpening as old school but it seems to work for me.

Thanks

Drail is 100% correct. Steels are used for "tuning" already sharp knives that have lost a bit of their cutting ability due to deformation of the cutting edge or the little microserrations.

I'm not sure what you mean by "reground for sharpening"? Could you explain?

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Funny thing happened yesterday. I was processing a turkey for a Friend of ours. Our turkeys are only minimum fed Grain, and are raised free range. The only time they spend in a cage is the last 12-24 hours to limit the food intake and lessen the amount of internal poop.
    Anyway I was cutting the turkey legs off and it occurred to me that although I have a set of knives , not expensive but an actual set for doing the job and yet for 90% of the work I use a small looks like parring knife made in china. I detest buying from China, and don't really remember where this little knife came from, but that all said.. It keeps it's edge well and fits my hands well for the job I am doing. The knives that came in the set, are larger and heavier and when I am doing multiple animals a day, it helps to have this little china knife. I guess what I am saying is that while buying a quality knife is a good recommendation, make sure it fits your situation and what you are doing. This little knife would surely tire out doing a deer or goat, but for birds it does the job. I have browsed knife sites looking for a long term purchase of better quality knives and some smaller ones like little china knife. I haven't found any yet.

Anyone Have any links that might have such specific details such as weight length, and true pictures not stock photos of a "knife"?

BTW thanks for the knife discussions . Now while I am cutting up the birds I am thinking about these threads and the knife in my hand.

Probably should have been thinking about the Very Sharp meat cutting utensil in one hand cutting up things in my other hand. LOL

Last edited:

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the replies. What I meant by "regrinding" is to grind the steel so that the raised edges are once again present. If you look real close to a sharpening steel, you will see raised rows of steel running parallel for the length of the steel which allow for the steel to "straighten" the knife that is being worked on.

Is this clear as mud?? I think I'll just go buy a new one....:)

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Its probably cheaper to buy a new one. It is much easier and cheaper to get a piece of leather , apply polishing compound to the cut sid. and now you have a strap. Drag the knifeedge length wise across the leather. this will straighten out the edge ( midly) and polish the edge . this is the easiest way to sharpen a knife. past that spend 50 to 80 bucks and get a mild abrasive spyderco sharpening system these are some of the most fool proof sharpening systems out there, and some of the most effevtive for the inexperienced.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. What I meant by "regrinding" is to grind the steel so that the raised edges are once again present. If you look real close to a sharpening steel, you will see raised rows of steel running parallel for the length of the steel which allow for the steel to "straighten" the knife that is being worked on.

Is this clear as mud?? I think I'll just go buy a new one....:)

It will still do what it's intended to do. If you throw that one away, I'll take it.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I have used steels in the past when I worked as a cook that were perfectly smooth and worked just fine. I can't really see where having the raised lines you speak of would really make any difference. My personal steel I have does show lines though they are so fine that you can not feel them.

I would say give the steel a try on a few blades and see what you get. I don't really think a replacement is necessary. But that's just my :twocents:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Back in collage, my old professor that taught meat cutting (I was a Hotel and Restaurant major) insisted that we use a mirror polished steel, no ridges. He stated that the steel is to straighten the edge. His position was, "how can rubbing a rough surface produce a smooth knife edge?" I was taught that the ridges commonly seen on many steels were there to act like a sharpening stone to speed the sharpening of a dull edge. For the best edge, use progressively finer stones and finish with a mirror steel. You have to look for a mirror finish steel but large restaurant supply stores will order them for you if not in stock. Zoll Brothers (ZESCO) downtown or Central Restaurant Supply on the NW side will likely stock these. I school, my boning knofe would slice tiny strips off the edge of a kleenex without tearing. That's what a mirror steel will do.
    Enjoy the knife thread. Keep up the good conversations.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the conversation folks. Based on the suggestions, I think I'll keep the old steel and use it on my knives prior to honing the edges even sharper on my Lansky. I did try the leather strap method and was impressed with the results. Great ideas from all.

Merry Christmas to a great forum!

Top Bottom