• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I'm trying to find some accurate information on IN laws about knifes. The only information I have found states that "automatic" knives are prohibited. I have yet to find anything regarding blade lengths, I know S house lawyers tell me 4" is the limit. Does anyone know for a fact if there is a blade length limit in IN? I'm eyeballing a Spyderco Civilian for a Christmas present. Thanks to any responses.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Yep...the previous post pretty much nails it...

I HATE Indiana's knife laws that we do have, though.

I can carry a dozen different firearms about my person and, as long as I have my LTCH, I'm good to go.

But I can't even OWN an automatically opening knife. Even one with a 3" blade. Nor can I own any kind of "throwing star".

An absolutely idiotic and assinine law.

-J-

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    yes, idiotic. but look around us. some states, no folder with blades XX long.. no fixed blades with XX long, no karambits, no fixed blades concealed or open, no folder concealed or open..... we have it pretty easy in indiana. if someones says "you can have anythinng you want, just don't eat those apples!".... i try not to eat the apples............. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A knife law went into effect prohibiting knives in schools a couple of summers ago. The only exception is for maintenance people to have knives that are issued to them by the school. Like the automatic knife prohibition, there is no exemption for law enforcement or anyone else.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I was told by a knife guy at the Nappanee gun show that the law on automatics was supposed to change soon. I have no idea of the truth of that though.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I was told by a knife guy at the Nappanee gun show that the law on automatics was supposed to change soon. I have no idea of the truth of that though.

This was bill lest session, 2008. Didn't pass.

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Mil and LEO can get automatics. I know in Hendrick's county it is now illegal to sell assisted opening knives. Don't know about owning them though.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Mil and LEO can get automatics. I know in Hendrick's county it is now illegal to sell assisted opening knives. Don't know about owning them though.

Pretty sure the Walmart here in Brownsburg is still selling the assisted knives.

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    IC 35-47-5-2
    Knife with blade that opens automatically or may be propelled
    Sec. 2. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to manufacture, possess, display, offer, sell, lend, give away, or purchase any knife with a blade that:
    (1) opens automatically; or
    (2) may be propelled;
    by hand pressure applied to a button, device containing gas, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.70-2000, SEC.2.
    IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.
    (b) The term includes a dagger, dirk, poniard, stiletto, switchblade knife, or gravity knife.
    (c) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally possesses a knife on:
    (1) school property (as defined in IC 35-41-1-24.7);
    (2) a school bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-8); or
    (3) a special purpose bus (as defined in IC 20-27-2-10);
    commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a previous unrelated conviction under this section and a Class D felony if the offense results in bodily injury or serious bodily injury to another person.
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.
    As added by P.L.72-2006, SEC.9.

IC 35-47-5-12
    "Chinese throwing star" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    a Chinese throwing star commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (b) As used in this section, "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.2.

Interesting, well then all those guys at the gun shows are WRONG! Well I was in the Dick's in Plainfield when the sheriff's deputies came in and told the manager about the new knife policy. Maybe it has since been repealed.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As far as I know the law, there is NO exception in Indiana Code for ANYONE owning an automatically opening knife. Not Military, not Police, not Handicapped (as some doofus gun shop owner in Ft. Wayne told me).

Assisted-opening blades are perfectly legal.

There may be, however, a fine line between assisted and automatic, depending on which side of the bead you get up on in the morning.

MY understanding that it's assisted if: Whatever button, lever, gizmo, etc you push on, pull on, breathe on or anything, if that little doohicky begins the motion of the blade, then the springs assist after that, then it's assisted-opening.

But just to push a button that releases a catch allowing the spring to begin initial blade movement: automatic and verboten.

I still wonder if any LEO-type people have visited that gun shop in Ft. Wayne and taken a gander at the automatic knives he has for sale...

-J-

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    MY understanding that it's assisted if: Whatever button, lever, gizmo, etc you push on, pull on, breathe on or anything, if that little doohicky begins the motion of the blade, then the springs assist after that, then it's assisted-opening.

But just to push a button that releases a catch allowing the spring to begin initial blade movement: automatic and verboten.

I still wonder if any LEO-type people have visited that gun shop in Ft. Wayne and taken a gander at the automatic knives he has for sale...

-J-

this was my interpetion of the assisted laws too. you must begin the motion, not use a type of "release" to move the blade....

this is one of those hashed rehashed laws that is up to the LEO or judge. and trying to argue your point, if your are already in trouble, is probly a bad idea. debate it on GOOD terms, not "hell, no officer, its not an auto, you have no idea WTF you are talking about."...... a lot of cops and LEOs aren't huge knife nuts or gun geeks. some are. just as with everything else, it depends on the person.

flash409

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    i think you should be able to own and carry a assisted open knifes.. since i already do...shhhh lol

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Anyone can get an automatic knife in Indiana. No one can possess them legally, and that includes police and military personnel as there is no statutory exemption for them (see the pertinent section of the Indiana Code quoted previously).

It's also not "illegal" to sell assisted opening knives anywhere in Indiana since they do not violate any actual laws. Each and every assisted opening design on the market was specifically designed not not violate any switchblade or autmomatic knife laws.

Whether or not the prosecutor and law enforcement in Hendricks County can cooerce retailers into not selling them is another matter. The basis of their objection is rooted in ignorance of both how an assisted opening knife functions as well as perhaps the IC statute that prohibits automatics, but that hasn't stopped other badly conceived plans in the past.

Top Bottom