• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backwoods

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'll start by saying that I really don't know too much about knives. I would really like to find some good knives for cutting up deer. Any info would be a great help.

Backwoods

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Are you talking about just gutting your deer or actually processing it?
    Processing it is what I would like to have them for. I have a meat saw & grinder, but good knives that hold the edge can be worth their weight in gold.

When I did a search on Mr Tom Krein, the only thing I seem to find, is that people had sent their knives to be redone by him. Does he have a web site to order from? I don't know if I would have a good enough blade on any of my knives now, that would have a good enough blade worth sending.

smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    I am a butcher and i use a victornic knife holds a edge really well,i personally use a five inch boning knife with medium flex. smokey mountain knives sells them and they are pretty resonalbe to i like the medium flex because it flexs enough to ride the bones when deboneing.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Forschner or Dexter Russell, both great knives, and MANY, MANY varieties. I have factory direct access to both on the cheap if you figure out what you want.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Forschner and Russell are pretty much standards for meat cutting. The Old Hickory knives that everybody's grandmother used are good carbon steel knives but they are now sadly made in China. Victorinox are very good also. Their kitchen knives are sold under the name Henckles.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Forschner and Russell are pretty much standards for meat cutting. The Old Hickory knives that everybody's grandmother used are good carbon steel knives but they are now sadly made in China. Victorinox are very good also. Their kitchen knives are sold under the name Henckles.
    JA Henckels is it's own company, has been for close to 300 years in Solingen, Germany. Victorinox AFAIK is a Swiss company, and entirely seperate from Zwilling/Henckels.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If anyone is interested in Forschner knives, let me know. One of my suppliers carries them. I love my 8" chef's, which received Cook's Illustrated's*** highest mark.

***CI is the Consumer Report's of the kitchen. You can catch them on PBS.

Top Bottom