Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

There are local ordinances that prohibit blades of certain lengths. I'm not sure what douche bag is carrying a tape measure to enforce such things but I haven't heard of it being enforced by any of my coworkers. The "big trouble" you'd be in? A citation and we could seize your knife.
    Dollars and guns are no substitutes for brains and will power. -Dwight D Eisenhower

User Info Menu

I carry a chain saw in my truck. Really. I do.
    May God have mercy upon my enemies...because I won't. - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

User Info Menu

The Douchbag with the Tape Measure was a Speedway Police Officer, and this happened several years ago. I also had a Belt made out of a Chrome Motor Cycle chain, that my mom bought me from a guy she worked with, that made Novelty gifts out of motorcycle parts, and the cop took it,and said it was a weapon and I had to jump through a bunch of legal hoops to get it back. I'm So glad I moved out of Speedway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brick House View Post
    Would Having it behind my seat in a vehicle make it a concealed weapon???
    So what if it was concealed? Are you confusing your License to Carry a Handgun with a Concealed Weapon Permit?

Meh.

User Info Menu

No , I'm just trying to guess what reason a Leo would use to try to Ticket or even arrest me for having a Machete hidden in my vehicle. They can come up with any reason if they feel the need to. , For example, I have been pulled over before because " My vehicle fit the description of one just used in a crime"...the oldest trick in the book to pull someone over that has not broken the law.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brick House View Post
    The Douchbag with the Tape Measure was a Speedway Police Officer, and this happened several years ago. I also had a Belt made out of a Chrome Motor Cycle chain, that my mom bought me from a guy she worked with, that made Novelty gifts out of motorcycle parts, and the cop took it,and said it was a weapon and I had to jump through a bunch of legal hoops to get it back. I'm So glad I moved out of Speedway.

Was his name Dine by any chance?

User Info Menu

I had a machete in one of my vehicles "confiscated" once, they said I could pick it up downtown Indy at the property room, I told them to keep it, as it would have cost me more in gasoline & parking than it was worth.

I am not sure why it was "confiscated" or why the rest of my camping gear wasn't "confiscated" as well, but it sure did leave a bad impression on me with regards to douche-bag officers doing what ever they wanted, regardless of the legality.

User Info Menu

LEO's are often the most misinformed folks around when it comes to "laws". They are not lawyers nor have most actually read the Indiana statutes. Mostly they rely on what they have heard or been told.

There are local ordinances that prohibit blades of certain lengths.
    I think you could easily argue the preemption law on a local ordinance if it came down to that. However the only length ordinance I could find applied to minors only in Merrillville.
    Last edited by 451_Detonics; 06-06-2011 at 09:05.
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

User Info Menu

Cops don't come from magical LEO farms - they come from the general population.

Thus they are mistaken ever bit as often as, and have all the morals and ethcis of, the random Joe you bump into on the street.

User Info Menu

I disagree...by the very virtue of being an Law Enforcement Officer they should be able to be held to a higher standard. If they feel a need to enforce a law then they have a need to know what that law is. The firearms and weapons laws of Indiana are actually very simple and easily understood. It is an area that I would think LEO's would make sure they are familiar with.

Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast