• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I am actually looking for two knives for SHTF unless someone knows a knife that will handle both tasks. I will say up front that I know very little about knives and I have a headache from trying to sort out all the info on the internet so I am turning to to the experienced and knowledgeable folks here for recommendations.

Knife #1

1) a good survival/fighting knife
    2) 7-8 inch blade. Bowie style would be nice but not absolutely necessary.
    3) Good steel that will hold an edge and not be too difficult to sharpen
    4) Handle of any durable material
    5) $75 or less in price
    6) Any brand is fine

Knife #2

1) Good hunting knife that will dress out game
    2) Good steel that will hold an edge and be fairly easy to sharpen
    3) Handle of any material
    4) $75 or less
    5) Any brand

As I said I know very little about knives so if these guidelines are not realistic please feel free to say so. I just need some expert help figuring out what I need. Thanks for any and all input.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i think your money would be better spent dividing the knives into a large field knife and a reliable, quality folder.

my reasons:

knife fighting is a myth. defending yourself with a knife can happen, but a big honking "fighting knife" is a cool way of "bunch of bells and whistles that clutter it up".... just my opinion.

most knife chores are either of a cutting nature or a chopping nature. the chopping can only be handled by a larger knife (or better yet, ax, hatchet or hawk). i would spend a little more on a rugged fixed blade than the $75. maybe a 8" blade or so. no fancy stuff. just a workhorse.

the folder i would go out and get a kershaw, spyderco, benchmade, or Vic. something you can use for the CUTTING aspect. also, something that will be practical if you have to be forced into it as a weapon. i know that rules out the vics.

the above is just my opinion, so take it for what was paid for it. :) what would i buy with the $150 salary cap?

Kershaw JYD II
    Grayman MegaPounder

ok. i fudged the cap a bit.... lol. get a MP for $150, and then scare up the $35-30 for a JYDII........

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    You're price restrictions of $75 or less knocks out some great knives.

But, I'll try.

1) KABAR small or large bowie. They're tough, and pretty sharp. Heft isn't there but it scored well on knifetests.com. But, made in Taiwan :(

2) Cold Steel, Buck, or a small fixed blade Benchmade. Possibly a Scrap Yard if you get a real small one or a used one.

Like I said, you're price restriction hurts your cause because good steels cost good money. But, 1095 is a generic steel that high end knives use, and some average knives use. 1095 is a good all round, really not expensive steel.

Also, anything you can do with a small knife, you can do with a big knife. But everything you with a big knife, you can't do with a small knife. It just takes practice and experience. So, with that being said, you could combine your two knife budgets and spend $150 on one knife.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Thanks This info is a great help! I had no idea buying a good knife could be so confusing!!

SOOOO naive ;)

When you ask peope about good knives, it's worse than Ford vs. Chevy.

You need to do A LOT of research, and actually feel some of the knives in person. It won't matter how tought your knife is if it doesn't feel right.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    SOOOO naive ;)

When you ask peope about good knives, it's worse than Ford vs. Chevy.

You need to do A LOT of research, and actually feel some of the knives in person. It won't matter how tought your knife is if it doesn't feel right.

That's part of the problem--I have done sooooo much research my head's about to explode!! :): I haven't actually handled any yet though.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That's part of the problem--I have done sooooo much research my head's about to explode!! :): I haven't actually handled any yet though.

There's always more research and reading to be done.

As for handling them, the 1500 is the best place in Indiana I can think of because it's in once place and you can feel them all in a relatively short amount of time and compare.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    What he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^ The Indy 1500 has soooo many knives to look at, and handle.. It is the best place to go to see so many different knives in one place..!!!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Listen to Cubby.
    For ease of sharpening, I personally would stay away from serrations.
    As far as the fixed blade goes, look for something in a tool steel. The bare portions of the blade will need oil to prevent corrosion, but the steel will more than make up for it in durability. I would give the ESEE 5 or 6 a serious look. Both come with a full tang blade, micarta handles, decent sheath, and are work horses. Some other greats would.be Grayman, Scrapyard, Blind Horse, and Swamp Rat.
    As far as a folder goes, either Benchmade or Spyderco would be a great choice. Spyderco uses VG-10 in a lot of their blades, where Benchmade uses the very popular 154CM. Both are great steels, and easily maintained. If you want a real "slicer" get something with a thin edge, like a Spyderco Endura full flat grind.
    Attend an Indy 1500, and feel up as much merchandise as you can. Good luck.

Last edited:

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Cubby's right. In the army we were taught the best thing to bring to a knife fight is a .45, and 2 magazines. The idea of going mano e mano with a knife makes me sweat cold. You will get cut.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Cubby's right. In the army we were taught the best thing to bring to a knife fight is a .45, and 2 magazines. The idea of going mano e mano with a knife makes me sweat cold. You will get cut.

So, you don't think you will get cut if you have a .45..??? If he is trained you will be dead..!!

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Actually I'm not looking to fight my way out of a pack of zombies or anything with a knife, guys. BUT, if attacked and I can't get to a gun (out of ammo, out of reach, whatever) I don't want to try and take out my pen knife to fight off a man or an animal. I am looking for something that would be good for daily chores but could be either used in self defense or at least make a human attacker think twice. (I'm guessing an animal wouldn't be too impressed by even a sword ;) ). But it must be durable and good quality - a functioning tool. Otherwise I'd just get me a cheapie 14" bowie and pretend I was Rambo or something. :rolleyes:
    The other knife would be something I could use for game. Something that would be good for skinning and gutting, for example.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Ka-bar or spend a little extra and get a ESEE 6 for a better knife. and for a folder a Kershaw Blur has been a good knife.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Ka-bar or spend a little extra and get a ESEE 6 for a better knife. and for a folder a Kershaw Blur has been a good knife.

Thanks! I'm leaning toward a Ka-bar right now and I do like the Kershaw, too.
    These would be good starter knives for me I think. Later, after I get some more money and get all my other provisions and ammo a little better stocked I might spend a lot more on a really good knife. I think more than one would be a good idea in case mine should get lost or stolen (one reason I hate to put too much money into it). Backups are always good!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What do you guys think of the Buck 119 which they sell at Walmart for around $35-$40? Any good?

Buck has made good knives for years. Don't know about the 119 at wally world. Their recent models with the S30V steel are real winners. Check the internet for prices and be careful to compare apples to apples. some models are made with different steels at different price points.
    My EDC is a chinese Spyderco made with 8Cr13MoV as the steel. Its a tough knife and holds an edge well. And the price was reasonable.

The big Kabar Bowie is intimidating to wave around but I'm with the other guys. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. And don't let a guy with a knife in hand cross 30' away w/o starting some rounds downrange.

And IMO, tradertator is correct about serrations. Unless you plan on cutting a lot of rope or straps, serrations are unnecessary.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Buck has made good knives for years. Don't know about the 119 at wally world. Their recent models with the S30V steel are real winners. Check the internet for prices and be careful to compare apples to apples. some models are made with different steels at different price points.
    My EDC is a chinese Spyderco made with 8Cr13MoV as the steel. Its a tough knife and holds an edge well. And the price was reasonable.

The big Kabar Bowie is intimidating to wave around but I'm with the other guys. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight. And don't let a guy with a knife in hand cross 30' away w/o starting some rounds downrange.

And IMO, tradertator is correct about serrations. Unless you plan on cutting a lot of rope or straps, serrations are unnecessary.

Thanks! And I agree--not interested in getting up close and personal with anyone wielding a knife. Just want something that conveys a threat but is mostly a good workhorse for camp chores. Doesn't have to be too big. Just functional.

Top Bottom