• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    I am still a complete rookie and nowhere up to the standards of the fine makers I keep seeing on here, but I keep trying to learn and improve bit by bit. Of course with everything going on with an older house that needs some work, kids that have stuff going on and this god awful heat lately I haven't had much time in the shop. Anyway, here are a few I've been working on.

This is #4. It is made from some scrap 1/8" thick O1 from a local machine shop. I squeezed what I could out of the piece I had. I am not a real fan of the design, it looked good on paper, but not sure about it now. Scales are natural canvas micarta.
    84b0b28d.jpg

1f966849.jpg

d28e36ac.jpg

This is #5. I had looked at a picture of a TDI, but have not handled one yet. I figured what the heck, that looks like it would fit on that next piece of scrap. So I sketched my version of it on the steel and this is what I got. Again it is O1. This time it is 3/16" thick. The scales are a home brew denim laminate.
    35bd6e79.jpg

e2e1f0a8.jpg

This is #7 (haven't got pictures of #6 yet). It is still in process and is currently waiting for heat treat. This one is 1/8" O1 that Cubby was kind enough to give me when I visited him. Not 100% certain what I will be doing for scales yet. I have some home brew black and tan linen laminate that may end up on this one.
    db97b865.jpg

4ce166f2.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    The first blade has an interesting shape. What would it's main role be?

Your TDI clone looks excellent, almost like a luxury TDI. I also like the denim blue color.

Your work appears to be top quality. I'd be interested in seeing what that last knife looks like with black and tan grips.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Looks great! Always happy to see stuff folks on the forum have made. I've always liked the look of the TDI, but it really lacks in construction. Looks like you remedied that.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    Would you care to share more about what tools you use and the process you make those great looking knives?

I am just getting started and would like any tips and info you care to share.

Thanks.

I really like those denim scales!

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Those all look great to me, and I've seen a lot of custom knives. You do real nice work.

Do you ever intend to make any for sale? I'd be interested in one like your #7..... really like the shape & grind on that blade! -Lee

PS- Keep up the good work. You have a talent for it. :yesway:

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Thanks again for the compliments everyone. I am glad you like them.

Prowland - My process is still pretty crude. I have a note book where I keep sketches of potential knives. On all but one of the first (7) knives I made, I was using some scrap O1 steel that was given to me. For those, I traced the shape of the scrap pieces multiple times onto a on a sheet of paper. Then I started sketching inside the outline until I got to something I liked. Then I transferred the design to the steel, drilled a bunch of holes around the outline and cut between the holes with a jig saw or hack saw. I've since been lucky enough to um "inherit" a used metal cutting band saw (thanks buddy). That makes the process faster though a water jet would be even better.

As for tools to make the knife - The very first one I made I used a disc sander on an ancient Shopsmith (which is now dead and gone). Later I managed to find an old 1" X 42" Delta Rockwell grinder at an auction. Didn't have to pay hardly anything for it thankfully. So for now that is what I use for the rough grinding. It runs too fast and the belts don't last a real long time, but it does the job. Then it's lots of filing and hand sanding.

Rather than me rambling on, you can check with your local library to see what they have on the subject. One really good book is Wayne Goddard's $50 Knife Shop. My library had that one and it is geared towards the beginner that doesn't have a lot of "fancy" tools. There are others, but I am drawing a blank on the titles right now. Also, I'll see if I can find a link to a pretty good tutorial I read way back when that helped quite a bit. From there, check out the Knife Dogs forum. They have some good information over there and even a section for those of us that are new to knife making.

M67 - I would love to make a big honking chopper some day, but for now I'm kinda sneaking up on it. I do have a piece of 2" wide X 18' long X 5/32 thick O1 with a big ole blade drawn on it, but I haven't worked up the nerve to start cutting and grinding yet. One that was 1/2" thick and 12" long would be one heavy beast, not sure I would want to carry that very long. So far #7 is as big as I have tried and that only has a blade that is roughly 4.5" to 4.75" long.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    I had stumbled onto the thread here -> Home grown "micarta"(picture intensive)

and it got me to search for others. After reading a few I realized they were all pretty much saying the same thing. In the end I pretty much followed the steps in the link. One thing I did differently was to make a "form" out of some scrap wood. It is basically a trough with a bottom board and two side boards that are about 1.25" higher than the bottom board. Then I cut another board, that fits into the trough, to use as the clamping board on top. I cut some wax paper (parchment paper will work too) to line the trough and wrap around the stack of material.

You will also want something to catch the resin that squeezes out when you clamp the stack. On old aluminum roasting pan will work. Cover the surface of your work bench with something to catch drips while you are mixing pouring etc. and get some latex or nitrile gloves for your hands. You will also want to have some acetone (other solvents may work, but I used acetone) to clean resin off anything you don't want it on - while it is still wet. Also, be sure to work in a well ventilated area. Outdoors is good cause it will keep the smell out of your house or garage.

Make the form and the strips large enough to allow excess material along the width and length. That way when it is fully cured, you can trim off the rough edges and ends with a band saw, hand saw or what ever. Be sure to where a good respirator when you are sawing or grinding this stuff case that fine dust is not good for you.

I just made up a batch with tan and black tee shirt strips. I think the contrasting colors will look good.

campguy00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    These look really nice... I definitely prefer the more traditional style of #7. Looks like it will turn out great! One of these days (when I can find some "free" time), I might have to try my hand at making my own as well! Keep up the good work :)

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    M67 - As I mentioned above, I would love to make something like that one of these days, but I am sneaking up on it. It seems that a big blade means more room to make more mistakes or for them to show anyway. Of course I haven't tried a big blade yet so I don't know that to be a fact, but that's what I keep thinking.

That would be a blade that weighed in at what 2-3lbs. or more when it was all done?What a hog!

campguy00, Free time can be a problem. It seems to take me a looong time to finish a couple knives. I always seem to have something around the house that needs worked on or more importantly, something to do with the kids or my wife. But I do enjoy it when I get the chance to work on some. I does make it hard to get better though, when you can't practice by doing several in a row.

Top Bottom