• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    A while back I picked up a CRKT M16-14ZSF. Keep it in the truck for general use. Then it started rusting or corroding or something, seen this before in other posts before where some guys knives are just fine and others are rusting setting in the drawer. So today I was at the INGO swap meet and talking to Billybob44 and ask him what he used for rust. He showed me this stuff called FLITZ, a polishing compound, just rubbed it on the blade and it really worked. Have tried many things to stop the "stuff" on the blade but no success this FLITZ worked.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    flitz doesn't stop the stuff from forming on your blade it's a polishing compound that took the stuff off your blade but it won't prevent it from coming back. you have a carbon steel blade and it will rust in a humid environment, the blades that don't are a stainless steel. if you don't want it to rust while sitting in your truck then put some mineral oil or rem oil on it and you will be good to go. flitz is a very nice polishing compound though

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The light oils are good to wipe them with when you use them regular. If you are going to store it in the truck for long term storage for a SHTF type knife, I would go with a heavier oil or even grease.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    To help prevent corrosion, either
    A) Polish the steel with the flitz to a high gloss finish
    B) Keep the steel coated in oil, preferably heavy for long term storage
    C) Apply some sort of coating. Krylon even helps. Sharpen the edge, and keep the bare metal coated in oil.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I use Tuf-Glide as a rust preventative on all my blades that I store. I have had to flitz to remove crap from used knives then always coat with something to prevent rust. Flitz is a great polish but does nothing to protect the blade.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Flitz is a polishing compound... it will remove rust because its a mild abbrasive... it will NOT prevent rust.

try eezox. its silicone based and will dry onto the blade.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Not real sure that its rust. To be honest don't know what was happening. Put oil on it, and it is already coated blade. Oil did not stop it or slow it down.

Have read in another post about folks with CRKT knives doing the exact same thing while others with the same knife with no complaints at all. This is an $80.00 knife.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have the CRKT m16-10z. No rust, it does like to lock up and not release without a little assistance from a key at times. I tightened it up and it seems to have stopped.

I have opened boxes, cut drywall and cieling tiles, cut string and rope, even cut through a copper cable by mistake once.

I got mine from Brad's knives as an INGO SPECIAL. For a hard use everyday lock back it is not bad knife, I got it for a song, the only thing I bought at that 1500.

Top Bottom