• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    My Grandfather was a Colonel in WWII in the Philippines when the war ended and brought back two officers swords. Mine is in aged but new condition. Any ideas out there?

strongcrow

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy Central
    wow, soundl like one of the "knockoffs" and I'd have to give you $100 for them both.

ON the serious side, they are probably worth their weight in gold. If they are authentic katanas, as sounds like they are, I'd have them appraised by a professional. As someone would like to get them from you on the cheap.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    My Grandfather was a Colonel in WWII in the Philippines when the war ended and brought back two officers swords. Mine is in aged but new condition. Any ideas out there?

Your first step should probably be to take some detailed pics of them, trying to show any markings. The value of Japanese military swords is primarily based on the maker and then on any historical significance. Their value can range anywhere from a couple hundred bucks to well into the thousands.

If you're able to identify the maker, that should set you on the right track to determining a value.

Here's a link to a website that might be useful:

THE JAPANESE SWORD INDEX

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you are talking about officer parade swords you can find them online for around $300, they are not Katanas and wont be worth thousands of dollars like real Katanas.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    The story went that US Officers were taken to a warehouse where the confiscated swords were hanging in rows. Each US Officer was given one but my Grandfather said he had two son's and they let him have two. One of them has a small scroll in the handle hollow with Japanese print on it supposedly naming the Officer and his family name. These are supposedly very valuable to the original Japanese family.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Yeah, I'm thinking so. It's just when one gets in a bind it does cross one's mind. But the farther it gets from WWII the better! Now what to do with the Nambu's??

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Like the others have said, they can range quite a bit in value depending on some of the specifics. Some of the families sent their "family" blades with their soldier and some of those blades carried some historical significance and would be very valuable. Others were simply mass produced military blades. Still some value but not near what the family blades could bring. Getting someone who knows what they are doing to look at them would be a good idea. You could start by positing some detailed pictures. If you know how to remove the handle, you could check for signatures and post pictures of them, if present. If you don't know how to remove the handle properly, then please do not try.

I would also say to keep them if at all possible.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    If it has the original family's name on it, you could always return it to them.
    :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:

they are family history, some are very valuable, but what ever you do DONT REMOVE ANY RUST ON THE TANG!!!!!!

if you need to know the blade maker make a rubbing of the name, there are a lot of swords that are missing, the nhktb(sp?) (a japanese govt agency) that lists swords of cultural significance that are "missing" and they would like them back if possible i think they even pay a reward for their return

but like scutter said its a family heirloom and the family might like it back (if you are interested in getting rid of it):twocents:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    You folks are invaluable! Yes, my Dad and I removed the the handles years ago, as I remember they have a small hardwood press pin at the base of the handle.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    It is true that many Japanese officers carried family swords, in some cases as a matter of honor they will pay vast amounts of money to get them back. Towards the end of the war however many Japanese officers carried government issued swords. While these swords do not carry the value that a family sword would they are still high quality swords and can bring as much as $500 or $600 at auction, if they are in pristine condition.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    but what ever you do DONT REMOVE ANY RUST ON THE TANG!!!!!!

This is very true and very very very very very very very very very important that you listen to shootersix here. Do not remove that rust. The rust was a part of the original design of the tang and removing it is like rubbing the patina off a museum piece.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    The story went that US Officers were taken to a warehouse where the confiscated swords were hanging in rows. Each US Officer was given one but my Grandfather said he had two son's and they let him have two. One of them has a small scroll in the handle hollow with Japanese print on it supposedly naming the Officer and his family name. These are supposedly very valuable to the original Japanese family.
    I've kept hold of a beautiful WWII katana for years, not for its monetary value, but for the ability to have the pride of our defeated enemy on display in my living room. It gives me a warm tingly feeling every time I look at it and think that they dared to mess with America, and this is what happens.:patriot:

gunrunr76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    ft. wayne
    i would still get them appraised by someone....the more info you have on them the better....heirloom quality pieces should be handed down and kept in the family with the stories also....you should write down the story you remember and hand down knowledge with the item so it isnt lost and eventually ends up in a garage sale or on antiques roadshow....take a lot of pics and have them appraised so you can have insurance on them also....different situation but took some custom knives and axes camping, got home late and had to work in the morn, walked out the door to find an empty parking space...if i hadnt had the pics insurance would have gouged me hard...also pretty easy to pass them off to detectives...just a thought

Top Bottom