Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    updated again 18 mar 2012 on page 13

update on page 11...

updated on page 7 contact made/ warranty process

so me, dtrap, and mad dog (my 5 y/o girl) were about and about building shelters, fires, and just plain chopping today. it was going great. we had some busses, blind horse knives, 2 hawks warbeast, JK belt hawk, condor parang and a fiskars bill hook.

we threw up a quick tarp shelter, found some kindling and dry wood (very hard task). do some prep work. I pull out the esee fire starter and get a flame going (after about 30 tries lol) we found a old metal barrel someone was shooting and used it as the fire pit, also found some weird plastic things we let my daughter use as seats and a sled lol. after she was all hooked up and warm under the tarp, dtrap and me started really playing around. we found a lot of dead hardwood and proceed to test the chopping ability of the blades. the wood was a hard oak or something similar. the hawks are crazy good choppers. they all were really doing very well but the blades required more work. we stoked the fire continually and it used a lot of wood. under the tarp it was actually very warm, probably around 55 or so, while in the elements it was 21.

now on to the wtf part. so I am using my 2 hawks war beast to chop some very seasoned hard wood. the final hit and the wood breaks off and I hear this strange sound. I look down and this is what I see

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

to say I was salty is a freaking understatement. wtf!!!!! but I guess at least it wasn't a real survival situation and I guess we will see how his warranty it. this hawk I got at the 1500 and has very minimal use.

here are some other pictures of us continuing the tests anywho.

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    continued

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

on the walk out. omg when the sun went down it got cold quick. my little did hella good and she had a blast chopping also. we were probably out there for around 3 1/2 hours with a couple mile walk and she did it all herself.

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    First post...last picture...

What's the hatchet/hawk with the micarta (I presume) scales?

Thanks!

-J-

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    Man, I can't believe that hawk broke like that.. Please keep me posted on how the warranty part goes.. I have a hawk I purchased from him last october..!!!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    yeah I'm disappointed but we had a blast and I'm glad it happened while we were just messing around vs me really needing it. it held a very solid edge and chops like a beast.

off there site, this is their warranty-

~All hawk blades come with a 25 year Warranty~

jeremy the fiskars for the money is hard to beat. I'm seriously impressed with it. it chops great and goes through thick grape vines in one swing. I got mine on sale from tractor supply for 15 bucks. the handle is very comfy is a killer blade for the money.

and yes that is a jk belt hawk. it did great today on the hard woods. I'm very pleased with it to say the least.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What do you think of the Fiskars you have pictured?!

I have looked at them to add to the Backhoe to help with cleaning fence rows.

The fiskars is a great tool. It cuts amazing for as cheap as they are and I was really impressed at how it slices right through most stuff wrist size and smaller. A great tool for what you are talking about doing with it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    jeremy the fiskars for the money is hard to beat. I'm seriously impressed with it. it chops great and goes through thick grape vines in one swing. I got mine on sale from tractor supply for 15 bucks. the handle is very comfy is a killer blade for the money.

The fiskars is a great tool. It cuts amazing for as cheap as they are and I was really impressed at how it slices right through most stuff wrist size and smaller. A great tool for what you are talking about doing with it.
    Rep handed out accordingly...

I had been meaning to ask on here about them but kept being distracted and forgetting to ask...

Looks like the next time I am in town I'll be grabbing a couple...

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol yeah if dave had went all HULK on it and **** I could have seen it breaking but it was just lowly old me chopping with it. ohhh well stuff breaks what matters now is how he handles it. if done right (which I really think he will take care of me) then that is all that matters.

Top Bottom