• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    I have these old sharpening stones and razor hones that belonged to my grandfather, and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about them. Like what exactly they are for (razors or knives) how old they are and an approximate value.
    First is a King Midas Hone, made by King Razor MFG.CO in Indiana, PA. Its brown on on one side and black on the other and is in a leather case.
    82e9f29c-7df1-440d-81ab-a69f43da7ee1.jpg
    6a83db77-a182-4eb4-85a2-eaa167b7eae4.jpg

Next is a Bear Brand Sharpening Stone Says Hard Arkansas Oilstone HS4 on it. Its white and wedge shaped and in the original box
    4129399e-60d1-466c-8b38-1a88249ec3ce.jpg
    b5dcb9c5-81d0-43a3-bc47-cea6fbd894ce.jpg

And last is Bickett Razor Hone by National Products Co. Eauclaire Wis.
    Its in the original box also and cost new $1.50
    6cdb6ace-1995-4231-adcd-748a12ba810c.jpg

Thought I would share these with everyone and see if anyone could tell me a little about them!

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I don't know anything about them other than they are some nice stones. Looks like they were well taken care of. Nice collection!

I'm sure someone like Brad of Brads knives could tell you somthing about them.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Antbody? I'm more curios about the midas and the bicket. Are they for razors or knives? Both? Value doesn't matter I'm gonna keep them but would be interrested in some history.
    I'm a total knife noob, trying to learn.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    This is really not my cup of tea, but bicket hones are used by barbers for sharpening shaving straight razors. The grit is very fine, more so than stones that would be used for sharpening knives. Many companies in the barber supply business made bicket hones, yours just happens to be manufactured by National Products Co. Your King Midas hone is just a larger bicket hone and is still used for sharpening shaving straight razors. I suppose you could use them as a final touch up on a knife edge, but you would want to work the knife edge down using a lower grit stone before using a bicket hone.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom