• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I am just curious what everyone thinks is the best overall survival knife under $100?

I am thinking that I want full tang, flat handle bottom (for hammering), small enough for delicate work but strong/big enough for light chopping.

Last edited:

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Ive found several of the Air Force survival knives and have used one very roughly and still going strong. think it was made by Camillus. For light jobs the Mora knives are pretty decent and razor sharp.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    if you truely want a survival knife, and your life will depend upon its use I dont think there should be a budget, especially $100.

You could go a little higher and get a esee 6 or scrapyard 711. both would be able to handle whatever you could throw at em.

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Generation-Fightning-Serrated-Sheath/dp/B000BSWEA0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_6]Amazon.com: KA-BAR Next Generation Fightning Knife, Serrated, Hard Sheath: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Beckers aren't bad, but if you could find a used Swamp Rat of some kind that would be awesome.

Scrap Yards are great knives, but you can't hammer anything with the butt since they have resiprene handles. Then again, they're tough as hell knives so you could use the spine as a hammer :D

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What do you want out of a "survival" knife? Do you want it out of carbon steel to help make a spark? Are you going to use it to split wood? If you were taking it overseas the knife may need to be a weapon and could qualify for a survival knife. What are you looking for?

I have what I call a survival knife and its setup for an extended outdoors use knife. To be completely honest though I haven't beaten on that knife enough to really test it yet.

Capt. Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    under $100? keep in mind that you get what you pay for. if this is a tool that you will depend your life on it, dont cheap out.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I will share what I have. Others might not agree but I think they are good choices.

If you only have $100 to spend and want a good knife for batoning or chopping I recommend a Black Jack Grunt - Blackjack Grunt BJ-GRUNT - New Graham Knives
    THere are many places you can get these from reasonable cheap. About $20 - 25 is a normal price for these knives. Even with batoning through a cinder block the edge doesn't roll. But not very useful as a prybar.

If you can go up to the $200 or so range then I recommend going here - HIMALAYAN IMPORTS - Khukuris, page 1 : khukuri, kukri, kukris, khukri, kukhri, gurkha, gorkha, gurka, Nepal

The make excellent Kukris with outstanding warranties as you will see if you peruse some of the descriptions.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Looks like I am still in the stone age with knives, I have had a Ka Bar for a good 15 years, large knife anyways. It's got me through a lot, not saying there aren't better options out there but it's still working for me.

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    the older kbars are much better than the new tawain and china junk. they are decent knives but there is just better out there as a survival knife imo. zero tolerance, esee, kershaw, customs, busse, swamp rat, scrap yard, tops, ect ect ect.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    blind horse makes a solid knife and most models can be had under 100, their bigger ones under 150.

Himalayan Imports Khukris are amazing for the money, mostly under $150 brand new with sheath, khukri small blade (apple cutter/letter opener) and blade straightener steel.

If you are wanting a functional survival blade for around this geographic location I would recommend looking at a BHK PSK, ESEE 5/6, Scrapyard SOD or 711, Swamp rat ratweiler camp tramp or ratmandu, Busse NMSFNO Sarsquatch DSF, or a 15-17" HI khukri under 20 oz. model would be at your descretion but the WWII, AK, Bonecutter, Tamang, or BAS are some awesome designs just to start looking at.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If any of the other ESEE knives are as good as my edc Izula, that would be my choice. I cut down an inch and a half sappling at my mothers house in one cut. That was nice :-)

Don't limit yourself on a good knife, if you do...you will probably wind up buying the cheaper and more expensive choices.

Top Bottom