• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Having been fascinated with Japan's martial culture from the time I was 10 years old, it has been a dream of mine since seeing the mini-series of James Clavell's "Shogun" to own my very own 100% authentic katana/Samurai sword. There are a number of quite serviceable blades being made by non-Japanese smiths using a blend of both modern materials and machinery, and new and ancient methods to produce blades for serious use by serious warriors (Paul Chen/Bugei, Cold Steel, and several others), but for my first katana, my dream has been to own one that was 100% made in Japan using traditional materials by Japanese craftsman.

Today I achieved that dream! :cool:

This is the blade that is now in my most appreciative hands:

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/BushidoDevilDog/DSC00142.jpg

A summary of facts about my blade:

- blade is possibly only about 80-90 years old (per my friends I train with), or could be 300+ years old (per the shop's webpage info on the blade); the tsuba was made in the Edo Era (1603~1868)
    - cost 450,000 yen = about $4500 :eek: :spend::nuts: :dunno:
    - weighs a bit over a kilo (2.2 pounds)
    - has not been shortened (a fairly common practice, one that I dislike immensely)
    - is totally badass cool!! :rockwoot::D

I plan to post a lot of pics, not to toot my own horn, but to give some of you a chance to see some (hopefully high quality) pics of an authentic Japanese sword. It only takes having had a few authentic, traditionally made Japanese blade in your hands to realize that each blade has its own "story"...and I don't mean the actual history of its previous owners (for older blades like mine), I mean the story that can be seen in the steel. Is the temper line straight, wave-like, cloud-like? What were the smith's preferences for the blade's shape, thickness, balance? What kind of detail in the temper line (hamon in Japanese) was the polisher able to uncover? How clean were his lines on the sides and tip?

Literally every inch of a Japanese blade has a new story to tell, and I want to share this with you....stay tuned!

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Outstanding!!! My aunt is Japanese. In her sixties. Only child. There were 4-5 katanas in their home that had been in her family for generations. You're right. Nothing compares and impossible to describe without experiencing the tactile sensation firsthand.

Congrats, buddy!

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    having trained in Aikido for a few years I can respect all that! Would love to feel the heft of that bad boy!

Congrats on that classic slice of history! :yesway:
    <pun intended> ;)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    お祝いの言葉, Bushido Devil Dog!

I am envious, but also a bit confused: I thought that Japan forbade anyone from owning more than the tsubo of a katana. Has the law changed to allow a bit more freedom/leniency?

Konbanwa and Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    お祝いの言葉, Bushido Devil Dog!

I am envious, but also a bit confused: I thought that Japan forbade anyone from owning more than the tsubo of a katana. Has the law changed to allow a bit more freedom/leniency?

Konbanwa and Blessings,
    Bill

Thank Buddha/God/Allah/Krishna/The Flying Spaghetti Monster/insert Diety of your choice (or Nothing for the Athiests) here ;), that the law is not so strict. If it was, there would be no sword shops to go to. I literally walked in, gave 5-man (=50,000yen = a bit over $500) to the owner and a promise to bank transfer the rest on Monday, and walked out, sword-in-hand*. (*Inside my sword bag actually, don't want to scare the sheep...)

The shop owner, Hataya-sensei, is a shihan in Toyama-ryu, a different style/organization from the one I train in, but one that many of our people cross-train with because they are heavily into cutting. Hataya-sensei is The Man to go to if you are in the market for a sword to be used for serious training. A lot of other sword shops are mainly focused on selling the uber-beautiful 'art' swords; the ones that are nice to look at, but are too high-class to actually use for kata training/cutting practice. It is the difference between dating the stuck-up prom-queen, and dating the fun, out-going chick down the street. The prom-queen will stroke your ego, but the other girl will stroke your :naughty:...fancy! ;)

Because the guys ("Bucho" and "Elvis") I went there with have a good relationship/do a lot of business with him, I was able to take the blade home before having fully paid for it, which I will do on Monday. Note to Sarah Brady; I didn't have to fill out any forms asking if I was a criminal/doper/nut case/etc., no NCIS check, no finger prints...none of that bull :poop: .
    But there WAS a waiting period! I had to wait till he was done with the previous customer, had to wait for me to look at all the blades I was interested in, and I had to wait as we just chilled out and shot the breeze for a few hours in his shop. :laugh: It's that kind of place, and he is that kind of guy. His outward persona makes Mr. Rodgers look like 50 Cent, but with a blade in his hand the only thing keeping your head on your shoulders is the fact that he is a good person. My buds tell me he is Super BAA-AADD ASS, and I believe them.

Because he *is* a nice guy, he threw in:

- a cleaning kit (¥5000)
    - a sageo (¥5000+) (=the cord that is attached to the scabbard --> AKA the saya)
    - a sword bag (¥6000+)
    - a sword bag cord (¥3000? +?)
    - and I can come back as needed for adjustment of the tsuka (handle & wrapping) when it loosens up, and for minor polishing to remove any nicks I (hopefully NEVER!!) put in the blade from cutting practice

...all as "service" = free. Unfortunately, when getting ready to leave, the other guys were helping me get all my stuff back into my sword bag while I was getting my jacket on, so I assumed they put the cleaning kit in my bag. Inside the cleaning kit was the sword registration, which by law MUST be with the sword AT ALL TIMES...so of course we forgot it back at the shop.
    doh.gif

When I got home and saw the kit was missing, Elvis called the shop for me and confirmed it was still there. (*"Thank you. Thank you very much!") They are going to send it to me this week, but until then, I can't take it anywhere to train with until I get the registration to accompany the blade.

That requirement, and the common sense things like don't kill people with it, and keep it in the sword bag when traveling (both to protect the sword/scabbard, and keep the sheeple calm), are the only laws that must be followed. Given Japan's Brady Campaign wet-dream-esque gun laws, I was expecting a week-long rubber glove & hose session with the cops before being allowed to buy a real blade, but the powers that be consider sword making/martial arts as cultural arts of Japan, so it is a bit more common-sensical. I don't think the law changed, it is just a situation that is similar to the know-nothing sheeple that various forum members have encountered, the ones that swear up and down that "AK-47s are illegal!" and similar BS.

Like the title of the 80's song from the band Desheep Mode says, "Sheeple are Sheeple", :lmfao: no matter where you go. Sheeple in both countries can't be bothered to research further than the inaccuracies/lies they see on TV, so they ASSume, or even make up stories about the legality of owning weapons. Your average Japanese person is as clueless :dunno: about Japanese swords as your typical lib-tard is about guns. The registration process involves being sent a postcard to change the registration from the shop/previous owner, which you fill out and drop in the mail. The local Board of Education then sends the new laminated registration with your name. etc. filled in. Pay your cash, send in a postcard, get the new registration in the mail. That's it.

By the way, the reqistration isn't with the police, it is with the Tokyo Board of Education, since sword-making/Iaido are considered a cultural art.

Well, time to use today's bright and sunny day to take some sword pics!

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Very good, Bushido Devil Dog.. Thanks for the follow up. It's interesting the difference between nations and policies... and for what it's worth, my interest in the Land of the Rising Sun began with Anjin-san John Blackthorne and Lord Toranaga as well.

Blessings,
    Bill

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Today I achieved that dream! :cool:

- cost about $4500 :eek: :spend::nuts: :dunno:

Ok, awesomeness on dream fulfillment front. Check!
    Also, awesomeness on making my gun purchases look cheap (plan to use in next "financial planning meeting" with wife). Check!

Looks like a win-win for both of us! :):

(Nice blade too!)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Very good, Bushido Devil Dog.. Thanks for the follow up. It's interesting the difference between nations and policies... and for what it's worth, my interest in the Land of the Rising Sun began with Anjin-san John Blackthorne and Lord Toranaga as well.

Blessings,
    Bill

My ex-girlfriend's art gallery is right around the corner from where the REAL Anjin-san's Tokyo house used to be. Now there is only a stone in engraved English and Japanese marking the spot (near Nihonbashi).

Thanks for the congrats, by the way.

I have posted a few pics on my Blog, enjoy!
    I am uploading a bunch of pics at the moment with far higher resolution (I hope!) than what Blogspot allows; will post them later.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Ok, awesomeness on dream fulfillment front. Check!
    Also, awesomeness on making my gun purchases look cheap (plan to use in next "financial planning meeting" with wife). Check!

Looks like a win-win for both of us! :):

(Nice blade too!)

No problem Techres! Thanks for the love! :ladiesman: Please feel free to show the Mrs. this thread and say something along the lines of, "But Honey..., this :dumbass: in Japan blew $4,500 on *one* chunk of steel, but I can get 4-5 for a mere $2,500!! That's a bargain compared to what he spent!!" :laugh: :D :laugh: Good Luck!! :yesway:

OK folks, the Photobucket is Armed, and the Safety is OFF! :ar15:

The sword inside its bag:​

DSC00082-1.jpg

The Preciousss!!!​

DSC00093.jpg

Swords, Sutras, and Sensu (folding fan)​

DSC00142.jpg

Daddy and the kids​

Swordsseiza1.jpg

Gold dragon menuki (Ironically, I used to practice Zazen at a temple named the "Gold Dragon Temple")​

DSC00109.jpg

Meguki (bamboo pin), Fuchi (metal collar just behind the handguard), and Tsuba (the handguard)​

DSC00105.jpg

(Time for a coolness break! :cool: Don't want to overload anyone's braincells! :laugh: )​

Top Bottom