• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    ...and made me a new toy. I'm headed out tomorrow for a week of backpacking with my son. He thought I needed something else on the shoulder strap of my pack. Another buddy did the coating. I kinda got all choked up when it was given to me.

It's AR500 and very pointy on both ends. :D Think I'll strip the core out of some 550 and wrap it.

2012-05-11_22-08-21_197.jpg

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Ar500 steel blade? Hmmmmmm I've never heard of it. Anyone else using it for blades? Cool surprise. Only thing better then a new knife is a free new knife.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    AR500 is the steel that they use to make steel targets to withstand high powered rifles (with the exception of some calibers). It's tough stuff, never heard of a knife being made from it.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Very cool. I have heard it said it takes being a great freind to have great freinds. My compliments to you and to the makers of that fine blade.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    AR500 is the steel that they use to make steel targets to withstand high powered rifles (with the exception of some calibers). It's tough stuff, never heard of a knife being made from it.

It was leftover steel from hawks he'd made for some guys he'd deployed with in 06. He said he started out with the idea of making me a neck knife, but this is what he ended up making instead. It's heavy and I wouldn't want to get stuck with either end of it.

I should have taken a picture after I wrapped it, but now it's in the pack at the front door, ready to go.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    AR 500 is Abrasive resitant steel, why its used for steel targets I don't know, I'd love to see a side by side of standard hot rolled steel and AR500.

If I'm not mistake it is only surface hardened.... which means it might not hold an edge, let us know how it holds up.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    It got heat treated, so it should hold a decent edge. It's more of a poker than a slicer though. I used it to do a little chopping and it was pretty good for it's small size.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    AR 500 is Abrasive resitant steel, why its used for steel targets I don't know, I'd love to see a side by side of standard hot rolled steel and AR500.

If I'm not mistake it is only surface hardened.... which means it might not hold an edge, let us know how it holds up.

AR500 is through hardened. Should make for a very interesting blade. Will be a beeotch to sharpen if you do loose an edge...

AR500 is used in targets due to the hardness. The fact it is abrasion resistant doesn't come into play. The hardness will range from 480-530 on the Brinell scale, which is 50-53 Rockwell. Hot rolled A36 (mild steel) will only score about 25% of those hardness results. The hardness of the steel works well for targets as it combats pitting and other surface deformations. The lack of surface imperfections makes the target safer to shoot as it gives a more predictable bullet fragmentation. AR500 will also give a more satisfying ring when hit as the rounds energy will be transferred into the target as vibrations instead of damaging the steel.

Here is your side-by-side. AR500 in the background was at about 50 yds, mild steel in the for ground was further out around 75 or so yds.

misc121.jpg

Sorry for the hi-jack....

If someone wanted to try one out, we can cut blade blanks as well.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    most decent edges ( spyderco, microtech, CRK) are running about 57-60 Rockwell C. so 51-53 won't be bad, still going to need a diamond stone or a good belt sander, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I get some money around I may have to get you to cut me a few blanks.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    most decent edges ( spyderco, microtech, CRK) are running about 57-60 Rockwell C. so 51-53 won't be bad, still going to need a diamond stone or a good belt sander, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I get some money around I may have to get you to cut me a few blanks.

True, but in blade applications, the abrasion resistant nature of the steel comes back into play. The steel is engineered to resist grinding. Abrasive flapper wheels work great as polishing disks. Looks like a freaking mirror, lol.

Drop us a line when you are ready!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Why try and use a steel for something that it wasn't intended for? If AR500 is/was an acceptable steel for knife blades then it would have already been used by most makers. 51RC to 53RC sucks compared to what is being used in todays blades. Hell, even the cheap moly steels from China have a better hardness rating than that.

Top Bottom