• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Ok let's start by saying I have decided on a steel ats34 yes I know it's not the best for my usage I would rather use D2 for this project but I digress.
    Here is my outline for the knife

Usage: I decided I need a multi purpose knife for general abuse such as but not limited to breaking deer pelvis, splitting wood, hammering, clearing branches etc...

Design: I wanted to make it a cross between a Gurkha Kukri and a Kabar with a walnut handle.

Dimensions: 10.5"L x 1.875"W (at the widest)x 3/16" thick

Anyone have experience working with this steel? I can't anneal it and heat treat it again so how difficult will it be to work? Any tips ontools to use will grits saw blades basics tools for working with hardened steels.

Here is my design

http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/356luger/?action=view&current=1340671313.jpg&evt=user_media_share

356luger

Last edited:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i can't see the pic.

ats34 is a great steel! don't discount it just because its not a "new, cool" steel! i like it better than d2. but that is not the norm....

send it to have it professional heat treated. this is the most important part of any knife. i know everyone wants to try it themselves. but with ALL the hours you are going to spend working on it, WHY would you set yourself up to fail? it is not some simple process.

i would do this, in this order:

make your profile.
    mark your center line of the edge. use a drill bit to find the center of the edge on the blank.
    get the biggest file you can find.
    start going to town, removing 98% of the metal to create the bevel.
    drill holes for handle
    send to heat treat
    get sand paper and backing board (paint stirrer)
    use sandpaper to complete bevels, finsh knife
    creat handle and shape handle
    sharpen your knife
    use your knife!

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Cool knife design, but that's going to be tough to shape the blade like that and to sharpen later too. All curves on a sharpened edge should flow together to be easy to sharpen. You almost have a 90 deg. angle in there, that will be a tough one. Keep posting pics. through the process so we can all watch progress. Have fun with it and enjoy.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's kinda like a toned down tops tracker. I like the design, but if you do this please take lots of pictures and make a how to post showing what you did.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    send to heat treat

Where do you send out custom knives for a heat treat? I've never made my own and always figured that if I did I'd try the old fashioned method of heating it up red hot with a torch and then putting it in oil. If there's a more professional way I'd like to know about it.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    Do a google search for knife industry specific heat treating. Two that comes to mind immediately is peters heat treat, and paul bos.

Let them know your blade material and dimensions and they can gibe you a quote

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Where do you send out custom knives for a heat treat? I've never made my own and always figured that if I did I'd try the old fashioned method of heating it up red hot with a torch and then putting it in oil. If there's a more professional way I'd like to know about it.

This is where most send them that I have found.

Peters heat treating
    (814) 333-1782
    Out of Pennsylvania.

Ask for brad.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Cool knife design, but that's going to be tough to shape the blade like that and to sharpen later too. All curves on a sharpened edge should flow together to be easy to sharpen. You almost have a 90 deg. angle in there, that will be a tough one. Keep posting pics. through the process so we can all watch progress. Have fun with it and enjoy.

That is why I chose that steel so I could keep a working edge a little longer and minimize the sharpening. It will be interesting to say the least.

Capt. Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    the blade design is going to rather difficult to make. especially for your fist knife. the rule in knife making is KISS... Keep It Simple... start with a smaller knife, maybe a neck knife. not only because it will be easier, it will be cheaper to make as well. if you get into this big project and it gets difficult, you may get turned off with knife making and decide to quit. plus if you mess up with this first knife, (and you probably will) thats a lot of steel to scrap!

about the heat treat... most companies are set up for high volume orders. both Peters and Paul Bos works that way. if you send them 20 blades its a good price, but if you are only sending one, its expensive. they charge extra for knives over 12" also.
    here is the quote i got from Peters... "The 1st 4 blades are $25/ea. Up to 20 blades can be included for the 4 blade price of $100. Price includes a cryo treatment. I need 1-2 weeks to complete". Paul Bos... Heat treating up to 20 blades: $85.00. Each blade, minimum charge of $17.00

hope this helps
    Jeff

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    1347134145.jpg
    [/IMG]From paper to steel i built a prototype out of mild steel just to see if i liked it plus i can use it as a template

1347134145.jpg picture by 356luger - Photobucket

My tablet wont let me copy the image url.

Because this was just a mock up I didn't take pictures of the whole process when I do the real deal I will take multiple pics. I can tell you however I took the drawling of the knife I had laid it on my steel blank and soaked it. The. Took a dremel with a deburing bit and traced the outline on the face of the steel. Then used a Porta-band, grinder and file to profile the edge and cut out the knife.

Last edited:

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    It's very nice, you transitioned the bevel nicely where the blade drops!

If that's a mock up, might I suggest moving the lanyard hole further in so that it has more steel around it?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Looking good! I agree with tha above statement that you did a good job transitioning the grind where it drops near the tip. :yesway:

Depending on what portaband you have, you can get A SWAG Offroad portaband tbale. It turns it into a small verticle bandsaw and actually works extremely well...

SWAG-table2-M.jpg

Of course, that isn't the first tool I'd get for knife making...but if you already have a deep throat portaband it's a cheap way to make it a lot more versatile.

I still want to see a work in progress!

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Looking good! I agree with tha above statement that you did a good job transitioning the grind where it drops near the tip. :yesway:

Depending on what portaband you have, you can get A SWAG Offroad portaband tbale. It turns it into a small verticle bandsaw and actually works extremely well...

SWAG-table2-M.jpg

Of course, that isn't the first tool I'd get for knife making...but if you already have a deep throat portaband it's a cheap way to make it a lot more versatile.

I still want to see a work in progress!

Well now this is genious and wouldnt you know my bday is coming up. :rockwoot:

I wish i had a bench grinder as instead of a handheld model but with some more practice i feel as though a hand held is more versatile for the type of designs i concoct.

On the knife design i flared the tip for slicing skinning so it is easy to sharpen. The purposes the angled inch or so is for using like an axe. Lastly the strait portion is for batoning and cutting cordage and such. After all i want this for a backwoods camp knife.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom