• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'm going to the Florida Keys in December for a family vacation. I plan on spending quite a bit of time in the water and I don't want to go unarmed. Are there any suggestions for arming onself with a knife while snorkeling?

Currently I have a Rowen made ESEE 6. Will it rust badly? I've used this knife hard and I'm losing quite a bit of finish on the knife. I'm not against getting a new knife, but I don't even know where to start. I would have said a SOG years ago but now I'm not sure.

I make my own sheaths so finding a way to have it on me isn't an issue.

Thanks!
    Byron

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Is this for coming out on shore again human threats, or for diving purposes?

There's a lot of sense to the shape of purpose built diving knives, as a point is something to be careful about underwater, and a sawing motion will be more effect than a slash when you have that much water drag.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Look for something made out of stainless! Your Rowen 6 should be able to handle just about anything, EXCEPT salt water!

Might want to look at something in the Spyderco Salt line also, but I don't think they offer any fixed blades?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I have a buddy who about sawed the first joint of his finger off this summer with a diving knife. He was trying to figure out a way to work with the retention setup and it decided to stop retaining..

You can typically get into a quality diving knife pretty cheap once you hit Key Largo, though..

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Look at the Mora Scout. At around $20 it is a terrific knife and could be replaced easily if you lost it, etc. I don't dive, but it seems like the sheath is almost set up for diving, certainly fishing, boating, etc. The blade is stainless (don't know which type) but should hold up fine. Hope it helps.

picture.php

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The one I want for a dive knife is the Spyderco Jumpmaster. They used to make an actual dive knife, but they don't anymore. Any of their salt line made out of H1 should work well and still be useful for everyday use after your vacation is over.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I would recommend a Mora or a Kershaw Amphian.

The ESEE 6 will work but any carbon steel knife will rust no matter if it is in water or not.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Is this for coming out on shore again human threats, or for diving purposes?

There's a lot of sense to the shape of purpose built diving knives, as a point is something to be careful about underwater, and a sawing motion will be more effect than a slash when you have that much water drag.

Good points. This is for anything I want to do underwater. Topside I have all self defense covered.

The one I want for a dive knife is the Spyderco Jumpmaster. They used to make an actual dive knife, but they don't anymore. Any of their salt line made out of H1 should work well and still be useful for everyday use after your vacation is over.

I'll look into that.

I would recommend a Mora or a Kershaw Amphian.

The ESEE 6 will work but any carbon steel knife will rust no matter if it is in water or not.

Thanks! That is what I needed to know about the ESEE.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That Mora would be a good option. I remember Benchmade making diving knives at one point in time, not sure if they still do or not.

Or, could go diving in style with a Randall model 16.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Check out the knives made by David Boye.
    His blades are made of Dendritic Cobalt and made for diving and sailing.
    He claims they are totaly unaffected by salt water.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If you're going into salt water, keep your carbon steel knives far, far away. Be sure to take stainless.

I used to use a Tekna dive knife, but they've been out of business for a long time now. I see them on ebay sometimes though.

I'll second the Kershaw Amphibian.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Your best bet is going to be something in N680 or H1. Both are virtually rust proof. On the fastenere, titanium is king. I have a Spyderco Warrior that spent about a week in the keys with no maintenance, and you cannot tell.

Then again, if your ESEE is a user, who cares if it stains some? I mean, how much time are you actually going to spend underwater? If your vacation is under a couple of weeks, use the ESEE and clean it down with oil at night. The biggest worry for me, would be loosing it. That's where a Mora would be really nice.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    BTW, have fun in the keys. I just got back about a month ago, and have considered moving there ever since. The water clarity is amazing, and we saw alot of spiny lobster down there :drool:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    So the consensus is that one loses knives while snorkeling?

I REALLY like G10, why don't any of these diving knives offer that? Price?

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    I have used a Sog Seal Pup to go diving in Key West several times. Rinsed it in fresh water and put it away wet and have not had any problems.

The only rust I had was the snap on the sheath.

I have also carried a Spyderco Pacific Salt. Lost one on the Vandenberg. Bought another and again, no rust.

Both of these can be had for well under $100.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    BTW, have fun in the keys. I just got back about a month ago, and have considered moving there ever since. The water clarity is amazing, and we saw alot of spiny lobster down there :drool:

Don't move to the keys, trust me it sucks. I moved FROM the keys to Indy. I worked for NOAA/NASA. I lived and worked in KeyLargo and about 2x a week had to drive to KeyWest to work. KeyLargo is the only place where you'll see multimillion dollar houses next to a $600 trailer with a tarp for a roof. Everyone is from somewhere else. Everyone on the road has no idea how to get where they are going. You have NY drivers changing lanes next to IN drivers who are tailgating some MI drivers who are trying to pass some WV drivers...etc etc. There is 1 road and it's 2 lanes 90% of the time. You'll have to pee every time you start to cross 7mile bridge. Someone will wreck on 7 mile bridge every other time making it take hours to cross the bridge. Taco bell in the Keys is expensive. If you like Jimmy buffet, you will hate him after 2 weeks...If you already don't like jimmy buffet, you will pray to the dark lord for him to develop an acute case of death.

My boss one day tried to explain to me that living in the keys is amazing. She said, "I wake up every day and think 'I'm living in paradise!'" I explained back, "what good is paradise if you don't get to enjoy it?" "I have to hold down 3 jobs...I work from 8am to 11pm every day for the privilege of living in paradise..." I moved shortly after. She still lives there, making 100,000 a year. She has no savings account and lives in a basement that was converted into an apartment by the homeowner.

You will enjoy it more when you visit it for a week every few years. You won't have time to enjoy it if you live there.

On to the knife thing...If you want a knife, dive any of the SPAs (sanctuary protected areas) and you'll find many littering the ground. I found a titanium one once that was really nice. If you ever need weights or snorkels you can find those all day long down there too.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I have used a Sog Seal Pup to go diving in Key West several times. Rinsed it in fresh water and put it away wet and have not had any problems.

The only rust I had was the snap on the sheath.

I have also carried a Spyderco Pacific Salt. Lost one on the Vandenberg. Bought another and again, no rust.

Both of these can be had for well under $100.

Glad to hear that I was thinking about getting the sog for a dive knife and wondered how well it would hold up. I figured with it being made for the seals it should be pretty rust resistant

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    In 10 years of scuba diving, the only thing I have ever used my dive knife for is opening a can that was being a pain. Save the money and get a cheap line cutter just in case you get tangled into some monofilament line. We used to joke with new divers, cause thats the first thing a lot of them wanted to check out. We always told em that it was for stabbin your buddy in case a great white showed up! LOL:D

Top Bottom