• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'll be honest-- the idea of fighting with a knife scares me.

I'm not talking about "knife fighting" that involves sparring with various techniques and styles against an opponent that is also armed with a knife. I'm talking about down and dirty fighting where a knife is in play and people are getting cut, stabbed, and covered in blood.

Ever see YouTube videos of fights involving knives? They're fast, they're ugly, and they turn my stomach.

The more I venture into the world of combatives the less confidence I have in defending myself with my current knife of choice-- a Spyderco Manix II. Now, I initially chose the Manix as a utility knife first, with the idea that it could be pressed into service as a weapon if needed. And as a utility blade its great.

But what if I am clinched up with some 300lb. dude and I need to run the blade into him several times? Am I sure I can deploy it? Will the lock really hold up? Will my hand slip once its blood-covered?

I have no formal or specific knife training. Thus far in combatives classes when I'm able to access the knife of my attacker I always end up running a "sewing machine" on them. It seems like my natural tendency.

Should I take the time to learn a knife-fighting system and ingrain new techniques into my muscle memory? Or should I stick with a knife design that works with my natural technique?

What has been your experience with such things?

Is there a knife design out there that is A) quick/simple to deploy, B) stabby, C) won't collapse on my hand (fixed blade), and D) won't allow my hand to slip once wet?

There are a couple designs that have me curious. Perhaps those with some knowledge can chime in.

• ClinchPik/Pikal
    ClinchPickLarge-300x225.jpg

• SI/OST/TSD Grab 'n Stab
    GNSCU8.jpg

What considerations am I missing?

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    You should talk to Mercop. And by talk, I mean actually speak/commo with him. Not just "give George your money.".... For as homely as he is, he's dang smart......

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Something like this?

fd3203a788b89c2f9dabcfeb37afa16c.jpg

It's a KA-BAR TDI, they come in 2 flavor sizes and can be hidden really well and deployed faster than a firearm in certain situations (given firearm position and knife position and type of attack)

I have a few knife classes provided to me from Uncle Sam. Though I am rusty and haven't trained in a few years.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    fly out to cali and take southern narc's class. he will teach you all you need to know about the clinch pik.

however Ban tang just signed a contract to make the clinch pik and others for southern narc. they will be sweet. I am on the list already :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For me a fixed blade is the only way to go.Im used to folding knives and I have been using them for years.I can open them pretty fast for everyday tasks but that's not fast enough for emergency situations where your fine motor skills wont work as good as they usually do.
    If you knife has a thumb stud or opening hole you probably wont be able to open it under stress.Not to mention that for a defensive use you might have to open your knife with wet hands (sweat, rain, blood, mud etc).
    I tried that with a knife I usually carry the other day.I can open it quickly with dry hands but I was not capable of doing it with wet hands.
    I had to try five time to finally push the thumb stud with my wet finger.
    I also had this same knife close on me during practice while stabbing multiple layers of cardboard.
    It's a "heavy duty" US-made knife and the lock failed after a stab, cutting my finger in the process.
    Another reason why I dont like folding knives for defense is that you need to change your grip multiple times from the moment where you reach for the knife to the moment where you have a "full combat grip" on it.
    With a folding knife cliped on my pocket I have to change the grip 3 times before I can use the knife for a cutting task.
    While doing that im holding the knife with only two fingers when I pull it out of the pocket.
    It's very easy to have it knocked out of your hand at that very moment.And possibly have the knife used against you.
    That's why I like a fixed blade and especially one where you can have that "full combat grip" right away without having to change it.
    Just like with handguns, you dont have to change your grip once you took the gun out of the holster.
    So the type of holster and the way you carry your knife is very important.
    I have found some fixed blade designs that I like but many of them dont let you wrap your five finger on the grip before you can pull it out.

That's why I really like the Ka-Bar TDI.
    The grip angle allows you to punch with the knife while keeping a locked wrist, almost like a push dagger.
    Also the grip ankle feels very natural if you are already used to draw a defensive handgun.
    The deep finger choild really keeps your hand in place.

3372195972_9557383c21.jpg

ka-bar10.jpg

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    if your looking for something to carry every day for the off chance you would ever have to use it i would reccomend a kabar tdi law enforcement. but if you are talking about knowing you are going to get into the stuff and you want a blade to take with you in case things get dirty i would recomend a SOG goverment agent

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Knife fights are ugly, nasty things. I honestly believe I would prefer to be gut shot once than have someone who knows what they're doing start fileting me. Knife fights - everyone gets hurt.

If you really want to know though, one always rises to the top for me: kali-silat. I believe there is an Indy dojo.

Google: Ray Dionaldo.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    if your looking for something to carry every day for the off chance you would ever have to use it i would reccomend a kabar tdi law enforcement.

For me a fixed blade is the only way to go.Im used to folding knives and I have been using them for years.I can open them pretty fast for everyday tasks but that's not fast enough for emergency situations where your fine motor skills wont work as good as they usually do.
    If you knife has a thumb stud or opening hole you probably wont be able to open it under stress.Not to mention that for a defensive use you might have to open your knife with wet hands (sweat, rain, blood, mud etc).
    I tried that with a knife I usually carry the other day.I can open it quickly with dry hands but I was not capable of doing it with wet hands.
    I had to try five time to finally push the thumb stud with my wet finger.
    I also had this same knife close on me during practice while stabbing multiple layers of cardboard.
    It's a "heavy duty" US-made knife and the lock failed after a stab, cutting my finger in the process.
    Another reason why I dont like folding knives for defense is that you need to change your grip multiple times from the moment where you reach for the knife to the moment where you have a "full combat grip" on it.
    With a folding knife cliped on my pocket I have to change the grip 3 times before I can use the knife for a cutting task.
    While doing that im holding the knife with only two fingers when I pull it out of the pocket.
    It's very easy to have it knocked out of your hand at that very moment.And possibly have the knife used against you.
    That's why I like a fixed blade and especially one where you can have that "full combat grip" right away without having to change it.
    Just like with handguns, you dont have to change your grip once you took the gun out of the holster.
    So the type of holster and the way you carry your knife is very important.
    I have found some fixed blade designs that I like but many of them dont let you wrap your five finger on the grip before you can pull it out.

That's why I really like the Ka-Bar TDI.
    The grip angle allows you to punch with the knife while keeping a locked wrist, almost like a push dagger.
    Also the grip ankle feels very natural if you are already used to draw a defensive handgun.
    The deep finger choild really keeps your hand in place.

3372195972_9557383c21.jpg

ka-bar10.jpg

Great minds think alike, but I was in first :D

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    RE: Devil's Brigade v42 and the like.

^^^ I don't really think that is what most folks would consider a "fighting" knife. That is a "sneak-up-behind-em-and-shove-it-below-the-neck-into-their-brain" knife.

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    the tdi because ive been carrying one for about 2 years now and i love it. the handle is comfortable and gives me great grip, the sheath it came with is pretty nice i ended up getting one of the inside the waistband clips for it though the retention is pretty strong as well. the blade holds an edge well but not as well as some of my other kabars and the finish holds up great. the SOG because of the incredible balance and the way it feels in my hands every time i pick it up i just dont wanna put it down it fits my hand so well. its got great reach and the blade stays wicked sharp

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I wasn't a fan of SOGs. I can't speak for ALL of their blades, but the one I tried started to rust in only a week or two in the field (a DESERT, mind you.) I don't know if that's representory of their quality or not, but I was unimpressed enough to not buy another one for heavy use. :dunno:

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    Im certainly no expert on the matter but if i were to get into a knife fight out of all my blades those are the ones i would want to have

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    FME, I highly recommend double edged, fixed blade above anything for defensive use. Call me "old school" but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Also, I recommend something with a large/sturdy "tang/stop" (I'm drawing a blank on the proper terminology at the moment) at the base of the blade. Some "experts" may not agree with that, but the first time you strike a hard surface (such as a bone) with your blade you'll appreciate the feature (and so will your hands.) :twocents:

Top Bottom