• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    ok, guys. this will be the planning thread. some points will be put up for discussion, and some will not. i wish i could make the entire thing a "popular vote" type of thing, but the logistics of it deem i have to make some concessions with what is FAVORABLE and what is POSSIBLE.

the date will be from the end of April to the end of June sometime. THAT isn't set in stone and will be put up for vote, with a few black out dates for USN Sausagefest, BLADE show, and my wife's birthday.

the goal:

everyone leaves with a knife they ground and/or picked and finished the handle on. sheaths also. so a complete knife, that they had a hand in creating.

i haven't decided on a one or two day event yet. i have PLENTY of room to camp out, and also nice hotels within 10 minute easy, country drive.

the knife:

the knife will be a pattern i create, have water jetted and heat treated. i am going to make something which can be modified, on the fly, to a host of different blade shapes. it will also be an EASY pattern, so everyone will be able to create something easily (HA!). steel will likely be 1095, 440c, or 154cm. it will depend on pricing.

depending on the number of attendees, i will EASILY be into this for over $700 in materials. between steel, HT, belts, handle material, hardware, and all the consumables. i do not enter this lightly.... its going to be a large chunk of time, also. annually, i head up the USN Sausagefest at the same time, so i will be VERY busy around this time of year. i think this could be an enormous amount of fun, and turn into something people really look forward to!

what do you guys think? of course, everyone is welcome, not just those who want to build an awesome knife.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I would be interested as well. I don't think you should eat the cost of materials so I think there should be a nominal fee involved. Plus it would cut down on people showing up to get something for nothing versus someone who is actually interested in learning the process. Just my :twocents:.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    This sounds very cool. I know nothing about knife making and welcome the opportunity learn. Thanks for setting this up. Please keep me informed.

C ya,

brian

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    This sounds awesome! I have a very vigorous semester ahead of me but if I have the time I'd love to attend. I may also be able to help bring some materials or tools. I have a Paragon kiln that I have digitally controlled for heat treating and may have a 110v KMG by that time.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Very interested but I would not be able to actually commit until the due date got closer.

It would be a large effort on your part and very much appreciated. This is the kind of thing that makes INGO a community and not just another gun forum.

Top Bottom