Looking to carry a knife for the first time, any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaveMan58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    I've always conceal carried a firearm, but I've never carried a knife. I'm looking to remedy this and would like suggestions as to what would be a good self defense knife without breaking the bank. I'm talking around $50 and if I'm crazy then tell me that too.

Thanks!

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Well you might fall short with a 50 budget. I carry a Kershaw Blur and love it. Also, look at knives from Spyderco.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Try an ESEE Izula II. For your price range you can find them used all day long it seems for about $50. I can't recommend you a folder. All folders I've had and/or experienced regardless of make will unlock itself under small force.

CaveMan58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Try an ESEE Izula II. For your price range you can find them used all day long it seems for about $50. I can't recommend you a folder. All folders I've had and/or experienced regardless of make will unlock itself under small force.

That's actually a good point that I hadn't considered, thanks.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Get a drop or spear point. You are going to use it for utility far, far more than self defense. The RAT folder is a great one. Spyderco Native is also great. BM has few imports around there..... Kershaw has a ton of stuff.... For under $50 CRKT has a bunch of stuff, but its not nearly the same quality as the others.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon

Great suggestion for a first time carry knife, I have one and love it.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I would stick with a good folder if you're looking for a EDC option to accompany your firearm. while the idea of a fixed blade for EDC is great, you will most likely find it's not as practical as a folder to just grab and throw in your pocket, I've been carrying the spyderco endura for the past year or so and I absolutely love it. Brand new these are a bit over your budget but not enough to break the bank. spyderco offers great steel for the money and they have a crisp, clean, solid lockup. If you want something you'll be happy with for years to come then you should increase the budget a bit more. I'm sure Brad would be more then happy to let you get you hands on a bunch of his knives so you can determine what works best for you.

good luck and welcome to the addiction!

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    For self defense I would go with a fixed blade with either a horizontal or IWB sheath. Depending on my mood I carry one of the following ESSE 3, Tops Cheetah, Busse SJTAC, Swamp Rat Game Warden or RMD. I also carry a Byrd straight edge folder that sees all the daily grunt work.

With most blades you get what you pay for. You don't want to be that guy that carries a thousand dollar 1911 and a twenty dollar blade.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    For self defense I would go with a fixed blade with either a horizontal or IWB sheath. Depending on my mood I carry one of the following ESSE 3, Tops Cheetah, Busse SJTAC, Swamp Rat Game Warden or RMD. I also carry a Byrd straight edge folder that sees all the daily grunt work.

With most blades you get what you pay for. You don't want to be that guy that carries a thousand dollar 1911 and a twenty dollar blade.

What if the knife you carry cost more than the gun you carry? :dunno:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just bought my first high quality knife earlier tonight, a Kershaw G-10 Leek. The folks at The Outdoorsman Shop in Greenwood were patient and very helpful in letting me check oot quite a few knives before picking this one. Not cheap but quality seldom is.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    as for the kershaw, do you prefer any particular blade type?

I prefer the drop point, non serrated. I do not feel like serrated blades are particularly useful to me. I have the 14C28N steel blade and it has held up well. The S30V blade is a step up.

Mk

Sdixon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Wayne county
    You can find a good knife for that price. I'd go with a fixed blade in the 4" range.
    I'd look at Mora, CRTK, cold steel, and Condor Tool& knife.
    For 50$ you wont get a top tier blade that's gonna make your friend drool, but you can get a solid, and very functional EDC blade.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    What if the knife you carry cost more than the gun you carry? :dunno:

I own knives that are worth much more than my handguns.....When I grow up to be like Uncle Brad I am gonna start carrying one of them. Right now I am stuck carrying an old Griptilian...but it sure does flick open nice..

Last edited:

tornrebel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Indiana
    I am a big fan of the Kershaw Cryo, which is not just great for self defense, but for every day use as well. A lot of police and EMT services use these style knives. Self defense is one thing, but I find myself using my knife nearly every day and it is one of the most important tools. Not sure what it would be like to leave the house with out one.
    I carry the Kershaw because it is not just a name, but a name that others try to live up to. Even cutting boxes, which is very hard on the sharpness it holds an edge. It is great to sharpen and as my father said when he taught me to sharpen and use a knife.
    " That knife would cut a hair on a gnats AZZ 3 ways."

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I carry and USE my fixed blade small neck knife and I LOVE it. I can use for anything including self defense and I feel very comfortable knowing it will do the job.;)
    Depending on what you need the knife to do should determine if you are comfortable with a fixed or a folder.

Top Bottom