• Total voters

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Paging knifelady.......

For what you would spend on a TOPS knife, I would consider an ESEE 4 or 5. Ontario knives are cool but the heat treat is different then ESEE which has lead to many breakages. They're warranty is good though.

SOG has been producing junk in the last couple of years IMO.

If you were only to choose from those 3, I'd go with the TOPS but I wouldn't take a TOPS over an ESEE.

Knifelady on this forum can help you choose for sure. She sells ESEE and TOPS.

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    I'm open to other suggestions. I just got rid of my SRK carbon V cuz i wasn't crazy about it. Im doing a lot of hiking in the mountains this summer so i need something that can take a beating.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Paging knifelady.......

For what you would spend on a TOPS knife, I would consider an ESEE 4 or 5. Ontario knives are cool but the heat treat is different then ESEE which has lead to many breakages. They're warranty is good though.

SOG has been producing junk in the last couple of years IMO.

If you were only to choose from those 3, I'd go with the TOPS but I wouldn't take a TOPS over an ESEE.

Knifelady on this forum can help you choose for sure. She sells ESEE and TOPS.

:+1:

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I'm open to other suggestions. I just got rid of my SRK carbon V cuz i wasn't crazy about it. Im doing a lot of hiking in the mountains this summer so i need something that can take a beating.

Then buy ESEE and don't look back. In my opinion, they are far and away the best non-Busse production knives available. The warranty is no bull****, no questions asked, they're American-made, and you can buy from a great INGO member. What's not to like? :dunno:

A 3, 4, or 5, depending on the planned usage, will serve you well.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Get a stainless mora for fine detail work,

get an 18" ontario machete, send it to Mike billman in ft. wayne at grindstone cutlery, Pay him to have it properly sharpened, and remove the d ring.

if you want a hard use knife to go with it get a 3-5" sykco knive from scrapyard, or something of similar size and shape. Tops knives are barely sharpened prybars, and the sykco has a better warranty than the esse.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Get a stainless mora for fine detail work,

get an 18" ontario machete, send it to Mike billman in ft. wayne at grindstone cutlery, Pay him to have it properly sharpened, and remove the d ring.

if you want a hard use knife to go with it get a 3-5" sykco knive from scrapyard, or something of similar size and shape. Tops knives are barely sharpened prybars, and the sykco has a better warranty than the esse.

FWIW I tried contacting him SEVERAL times with no response to try to sharpen an Izula I had before I sold it. I am contemplating an ESEE 3 or 4 to use while camping this summer, but I also know I have other knives that can and will work for that job (creating kindling for a fire).

I would definitely look into the ESEE line OP, they are good knives (just not so good for me to carry as I seem to rust them ;) )

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I really dig the tops bob. I have handled more than a few and all were very sharp and nice blades. they make some killer stuff. esee is a nice knife but I liked the ergo's on the bob better and I dig scandi grinds.

check out the bark river bravo 1 or gunny. both would be awesome options also and come with nice sheaths.

these are just suggestions on top of what others have thrown out like swamp rat, scrap yard knives, busse, esee, ect.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Out of the three I would go with the TOPS BOB. Get in contact with Knife Lady, she gave me some price quotes on a couple TOPS. Believe it or not her prices are lower then the prices on TOPS website. I received a TOPS Cheetah for Christmas and it was razor sharp. It also came with a nice kydex sheath. Overall I think they make a good quality product.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I stock the TOPS BOB knife. It is hard to keep it stocked. It is a great knife no doubt. It comes with a fire steel rod but so does the ESEE laser strike whcih comes with the timber tabs along with the fire rod starter.

Both are close in price with one exception being THE WARRANTY.
    ESEE has the better warranty than TOPS. BOth are great knives so I voted for the TOPS since ESEE was not one of the otpions.
    Either one I have in stock currently. :D

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I have had this desire for a custom fallkniven f1 with ironwood or burly maple scales for some time now. I am hesitating because I have no experience sharpening a hard metal convex grind and the possibility/probability of the blade chipping.

If the blade requires me to spend an hour putting an edge on it, I will have spent money for a dull knife. I am of the understanding that it holds an edge very well (if not abused) and revived with simple stropping.

Hmmm, sounds like I am still smitten...

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I love ESEE great value stand-up guys to deal with and our own Knifelady to buy from whats not to like :) but I will say my current go to knife is the tops BoB. I got one for christmas and thought ok it will be a good "extra" or "spare", nope it has really found a place with me. I really like it and find myself grabing it in place of other old favorites. If Knife lady has one in stock quit wasting time and go buy it :)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Without a doubt, I'd say get the Tops Bushcraft knife. I've only had mine since Christmas, but its very handy. Scandi grinds knives are among my favorite, and that blade totes some really sweet features.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Just saw this topic for the first time due to the necropost, but I had to comment even though the OP probably isn't around anymore.

Say what your will about Cold Steel, but the SRK in Carbon V (as well as the current version in SK5) was as close to indestructible as you could get, especially in that price region. None of the three choices would tolerate anywhere near as much hard use or abuse without failing.

Top Bottom