• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Let me start off by saying im pretty handy with most things i have dabbled in leather working and other detailed hobbies but have never made a leather handle.

That being said i have what appears to be an WWii M3 style knife without the plastic sheath but a leather one instead. Since ive never mad a leather handle and the knife has no handle i figured what the hell lets try it.

So ive done some research on the process (several hours) and have a general understanding of the basics of making it happen.

Now for the questions:

1. Which glue do you prefer on your washers to keep them from delaminating so to speak.

2. Do you wet form your washers into their compacted shape or do you leave them in the form/vice dry and for an extended period of time.

3. What spacer material do you use if any and why.

4. What finish do you use on the handle after completion to seal it from the elements and why? Any special steps sanding reapplying etc.

Any insight would be helpfull

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    I am hoping someone comes along and answers this for you. I have an old bayonet for an M1 Carbine that is missing all of the leather. I would love to give it a proper handle.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You want stacked leather? Or a basket weave type wrap?

Stacked leather is probably the easiest. You just cut the washers to size and put them together, then you can finish a bunch of different ways, but you will need to pretty much burnish the entire handle. For spacers I believe people use stained wood or cut pieces of metal to fit.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    You want stacked leather? Or a basket weave type wrap?

Stacked leather is probably the easiest. You just cut the washers to size and put them together, then you can finish a bunch of different ways, but you will need to pretty much burnish the entire handle. For spacers I believe people use stained wood or cut pieces of metal to fit.

Just a standard stacked handle nothing fancy.

Im going to experiment a bit on the glue i suppose but any insight from the pros would help.:ingo:

i am hoping someone comes along and answers this for you. I have an old bayonet for an M1 Carbine that is missing all of the leather. I would love to give it a proper handle.
    I might do a tutorial when i end up doing this you know pictures ect

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Just a standard stacked handle nothing fancy.

Im going to experiment a bit on the glue i suppose but any insight from the pros would help.:ingo:

I've never done it, but I am sure the peeps at Tandy can get you setup with a good epoxy to hold the washers together. There are a bunch to choose from, but I wouldn't know which would be best suited for that.

Leather Cement & Glue - Tandy Leather Factory

Top Bottom