• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I got an old army tent literally dumped in my living room from well meaning grandparents dumping their extra clutter on the grandkids with great-grandkids (apparently a tradition on my wife's side of the family :rolleyes:)

ANYwho I was thinking of making some kickass Army ODgreen micarta with the practically limitless supply now at my disposal and I was thinking of two signifcant potential downfalls:

1. Value.

Is this tent potentially worth anything? I don't know the actual dimiensions but it is apparently a four man tent with poles, sleeping bags, wool floor mats... The works. It seems to be in fairly good condition, it holds no sentimental value for me (was not my actual grandpa, he married into the family a couple years ago and it isn't even HIS army tent) and I have no interest in the huge green monstrosity taking up space in my basement as I have my own modern tent that is at least the same size and takes up 1/4 of the room and about 1/10th the weight.

2. Coatings?

Is there likely anything on this tent to make it waterproof or anything that will hinder the fiberglass resin from bonding?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I don't have the answers to those questions, but I want to see a write up when you do it.

I have been doing a little research and it seems that most canvas needs to be treated with something to waterproof it, wax and linseed oil were common in the old days with modern petroleum distilates and synthetics nowadays.

The issue it seems is that IMO it would appear that those additives will make the resin not permeate the canvas and therefore not perform adequately for knife scales.

I checked the canvas on the tent and it seems a little (and I mean LITTLE) bit waxy or coated. Nothing flakes or scrapes off.

There is still a substantial abount of material that is not treated (the storage bags) but I hate to use up the bags if the tent is useless for micarta material as it seems to be in very decent shape.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I'd be tempted to find an inconspicuous spot to test things with. Maybe touching a torch to the material would burn off/melt any wax or linseed oil? Did you try raking a knife over it? Something like that might prep the surface for the resin to permeate. Maybe even hitting it with some heptane to clean it.Hell a couple of cycles through a washing machine with some stout detergent could work.

Seems to me this tent holds no value to you as a tent. In your shoes, I'd chop that mother up and give it a whirl. Worst case scenario is you waste some time and resin. If it doesn't work out maybe you could sew it up to make a grill cover or outdoor patio furniture covers. Shooting rests. Seat pads. Tactical curtains. The possibilities are endless!

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like you have a great tent.You can easily make it water proof with silicone spray,or go the old fashioned rout and use linseed oil.You may also check on the value of a wall tent.Most run into several thousand dollars these days.With a stove insert it is easily a 4 season tent(and a very warm one!).

No way I would cut it up.Find an old gi pup tent on ebay for 20 dollars to cut up,not a 4 person wall tent!

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I dont think I would cut it up for micarta. I would think you could sell it and make a few bucks. Go to a surplus store and get a couple old pairs of o.d. pants.
    If I were going to try and use the tent for micarta I would probably cut my parts and then boil them, rinse, then boil again. I doubt any old waterproofing wouldn't release when boiled...especially after two boilings.
    Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I don't know what they are worth in Indiana but ,If you were going to cut a good army wall tent up for a micarta Experiment out here in Colorado people would think you were crazy.

The small ones bring 500 and I have seen some of the large ones for 2000

I wish someone would drop one on my door step every day.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Thanks for the additional advice guys! I think I will take it out, set it up and see if it is in as good of shape as it appears, snap a few pics and put it up for sale.

If it is a total wreck then we will see what kind of work is required to make micarta from it.

Top Bottom