• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I am just getting back into hunting and have never had the pleasure of dressing or skinning an animal. Im not really sure what to be looking for in a knife for hunting. I will be hunting deer, turkey, maybe some squirrel, and who knows what's to come in the future...

I want a knife that I can use while hunting for 20 years and be able to hand it down to my son or daughter.

I have an esee 3, Izula 2, an old Case skinner with a very exaggerated blade curve...

I am also open to contributing to Brad & Shiela's retirement plan if there's some thing I should have.

I think it would be really cool to be able to pass down my knife that skinned my first deer...

Ideas?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    How much do you want to spend?

For the money, Buck make some nice hunting knives, hell the Zipper is a classic and still going strong. Alpha and Omni Hunters aren't bad.

For $130 you can get a Blind Horse Muk, or Lil Muk for $85. They make a lot of..unititly designs so you have a lot of good options

Michael Morris makes some pretty cool file knives, plus they balance great and the price isn't bad.

I'm sure Bill Siegle would make a knife for you also, he does pretty good work

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    something along the shape of a buck special(119) ive used that knife for 20 years and still a great knife. the only thing i dont like about it is the handle is very slippery with blood on it. esee 6 would probably be my knife of choice for field dressing a deer now.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I used my ESEE 4 last year to gut a deer, and then used my izula to skin it. I honestly think your ESEE 3 would do a fantastic job.

You do not need a gut hook. As long as you knife is sharp, you can do everything for a normal blade edge.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I was thinking my friend esee 3 would work well. My only concern with it is keeping it nice enough (rust free) that my kids might want to use it as well...

Is a stainless blade a better option for any reason?

Here is the old CASE I have.
    2012-11-18_14-52-43_945.jpg

Would this be good for field dressing and skinning?

My only slight concern, it has never had a edge put on it. The blade is a mirrror and what you see is dust. How collectable is this knife?

I think its from the '60s...

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    When field dressing a deer..full size handle,short SHARP blade is best. (You will be cutting things loose inside the body cavity). I personally like an old sharply curved skinning knife when the deer is hung up. (Although the best way to skin a deer involves a couple of strong pieces of rope,a golf ball,and a car or 4 wheeler.)

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I was thinking my friend esee 3 would work well. My only concern with it is keeping it nice enough (rust free) that my kids might want to use it as well...

Your ESEE 3 would work fine. ESEEs are nice knives for the money, but they aren't exactly collector pieces. Use it as you need to and wipe it down to keep the rust to a minimum. Use it, abuse it, and it will likely last long enough for your kids to do the same.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    The only thing about the ESEE knives that I don't like for gutting, is that the micarta handles soak up blood. You are best to get a pair of G10 handles for your ESEE 3. Just make sure to clean the blade and keep it with a coat of oil to keep it from rusting.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I use the ESEE 4 to gut out deer. Works like a champ! You can get away with using the 3 but I personally prefer the extra length and width of the 4 especially if you don't split the breast bone. Reaching in and cutting the wind pipe on a large deer, you'll be thankful for the extra length. Plus, if you split the pelvic bone, that 4 will do a better job.

The 3 is great for birds and squirrels and for skinning out deer.

Although I haven't used the Laser Strike on a deer, I can see the spear point being very advantageous.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    When field dressing a deer..full size handle,short SHARP blade is best. (You will be cutting things loose inside the body cavity). I personally like an old sharply curved skinning knife when the deer is hung up. (Although the best way to skin a deer involves a couple of strong pieces of rope,a golf ball,and a car or 4 wheeler.)

:dunno::postpics: :dunno:

Or at least an explanation.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Sorry about that.I really hate to thread jack. Deer already field dressed,hanging legs down,lower legs cut off.Cut skin around the neck,start peeling it down.When you have a few inches of loose skin,5 inches or so,wrap it around a ball and tie a rope around the skin covered ball.Pull the rope with a car or 4 wheeler.It will easily pull the hide off.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I think with all the ESEE knives you have you will be able to do whatever you want. Try one and see. As for the handles soaking up blood yes they will but use some dawn and a soft toothbrush and hold the handle under RUNNING water and scrub and the blood should come off. I have plenty f blood spots on my handles from customers cutting themselves and I did what I wrote above and you could never tell it ever had anyone's DNA on it.

Top Bottom