What is the law on carrying a fixed blade knife in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    Great!, Thanks for the info! Does anybody happen to know if St. Joe County (South Bend area) has any local restrictions? Or of any other IN counties or cities with harsh restrictions?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Great!, Thanks for the info! Does anybody happen to know if St. Joe County (South Bend area) has any local restrictions? Or of any other IN counties or cities with harsh restrictions?

I did ask a SBPD officer if SB had any restrictions on auto knives. They were not aware of any.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Brownsburg has this:

CLICK HERE

§ 130.08 DANGEROUS KNIVES.

(A) Definition. DANGEROUS KNIFE means any knife having a blade more than three-and-one-half (3½) inches in length, any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, straight-edge razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser, or shaving appliance.
    (`92 Code, § 6-60)
    (B) Possession and sale of dangerous knives. It is unlawful for anyone to knowingly carry concealed on his person or in any vehicle any dangerous knife, or to sell or give away to any person under eighteen (18) years of age to purchase or possess a dangerous knife.
    (`92 Code, § 6-61)
    (C) Exemptions. Division (B) of this section shall not apply to the following:
    (1) Individually licensed hunters or fishermen while on hunting, camping or fishing trips.
    (2) Any person over eighteen (18) years of age carrying a knife in a secure wrapper from or to the place of purchase, to or from a place of repair, or to his home or place of business.
    (3) Any person while in his place of abode or fixed place of business.
    (`92 Code, § 6-62) (Ord. 92-25, passed 8-27-92) Penalty, see § 130.99

§ 130.99 PENALTY.

Any person violating any provision of this chapter shall be subject to a fine in an amount not to exceed twenty-five hundred dollars ($2,500).
    (`92 Code, §§ 6-12, 6-57, 6-83, 6-150) (Ord. 92-25, passed 8-27-92; Am. Ord. 93-38, passed 9-23-93)

PLEASE NOTE: IT SAYS CONCEALED. Looks like a good reason to open carry to me.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sounds like there are no CLEAR regulations! I guess I will just stick with my pocket folder (no pun intended!)

Under state law you're good to go throughout the state. But each municipality can pass their own ordinances. It's not that it's unclear, it's that you need to learn the ordinances for the municipalities you frequent.

I don't recommend others break the law, but I carry a fixed blade anyway, and I live in Brownsburg. Of course I also carry a handgun and have a license. Any cop that would give me a hassle over a knife when I have a gun on me is an absolute jackass. I'm not saying there aren't any out there, but he would have to be an absolute jackass. And I conceal anyway. What they can't see they can't ***** about.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Bottom line is does it matter? Local penalties for ordinances like this are relatively minor. I doubt if jail time is even an option. Most likely escalating fines. Unless you are living in the community, an apology, politeness, and playing ignorant should get you a warning. I would always be low key about it anyway.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    We need statewide preemption of knife laws.

We already have that - at the federal and state level - it's just trampled all over...

:dunno:

No swords or bayonets? C'mon, I'd LOVE to see an anti try that 'wasn't around when the constitution was drafted' on those! :):

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Any cop that would give me a hassle over a knife when I have a gun on me is an absolute jackass. I'm not saying there aren't any out there, but he would have to be an absolute jackass.

I hope I get to meet you one day. "Hey Rambo, what's the deal with that knife?! Can't you just shoot packages open with that pistol like everybody else?"

Top Bottom