• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Saw one in the classifieds today for $600.....LMFAOROTF>

Edit...not a Wilson but some other "High end" piece.

Last edited:

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Kinda looks like a flipper version of my Lionsteel knife. I would guess that it costs so much because it's made of Titanium and the machine work that goes into it. Plus it says Wilson Combat on it so the fan boys will gladly over pay for it!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The wilson combat makes it so/so expensive but it's the fact that they have to pay Les George to make the knife. he is a awesome maker and a one man show. so he has to get paid also. the blade is cts xhp which is a amazing steel. It's full titanium handles so super light, strong and it's a big beast of a flipper.

How much money do you spend on your guns? probably about the same or more and how often do you actually use your pistol or rifles? I can pretty much guarantee you that you will use this knife or any knife you carry daily 5x more than your pistol or rifle. even counting most peoples range trips. custom hand made stuff isn't cheap. have you looked at custom wood shelves or custom hand built/fitted pistols? they cost a lot more than pre manufactured stuff as they should and the quality is usually much better.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Same reason people will pay top dollar for a high end gun. Some of us knife nuts are collectors. Some actually use there knives a lot for work, or recreation so they are willing to pay top dollar for a high end knife.

Others like me fall somewhere in between. I like having high end knives in my collection but I also like going out and chopping some crap up every once in awhile. I used my Swap Rat Rodent Rucki to clear some weeds and small trees out at my moms house just for fun a few times. I also currently have a $200 dollar fixed blade as an EDC knife.

$500.00 is just getting started into the high end honestly. Though I typically keep my purchases to the sub $300.00 range.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The wilson combat makes it so/so expensive but it's the fact that they have to pay Les George to make the knife. he is a awesome maker and a one man show. so he has to get paid also. the blade is cts xhp which is a amazing steel. It's full titanium handles so super light, strong and it's a big beast of a flipper.

This pretty much sums up what I was going to say... good steel, great maker, and quality parts.

I think the most I ever paid for a knife was $800, but that was a house and two kids ago. Now I couldn't pay that much.

It all really depends on the person and their priorities. I paid $210 for my ZT 0561 and that blew the minds of some people I work with that had a hard time paying $20 for their S&W "tactical" folding knives.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It cost that much for the same reason a Wilson Combat pistols does. Maybe a Hi-Point pistol in a generic nylon holster and $5 dollar Chi-Com folding knife work for some folks, but some of us like nicer things. I have a flamed Strider SMF in my pants pocket, and a Microtech Scarab in my uniform shirt pocket. Both were around $500. But it's my money, and I spent it how I wanted to. Same reason a person might order a steak over hamburger at a restaurant. Afteral, both are beef. Chevette vs Corvette, etc..

Last edited:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    It cost that much for the same reason a Wilson Combat pistols does. Maybe a Hi-Point pistol in a generic nylon holster and $5 dollar Chi-Com folding knife work for some folks, but some of us like nicer things. Same reason a person might order a steak over hamburger at a restaurant. Both are beef. Chevette vs Corvette, etc........
    I like nice things too but I was just looking for some specific things about the knife itself that have been mention above by other posters. I just see it as 10'times more expensive then, for example, a kershaw. So like you said a Chevette vs a Corvette...in which case I could name a 100 major differences that set them apart. I am not bashing WC or someone who would spend $500 on a knife...I just wanted some insight as to way (steel differences, warranty/customer service policies, info about designer, etc)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Why buy a Sig, Colt, Kimber, or any other high priced gun, when you can buy a Hi-Point.....it shoots when you squeeze the trigger just like the others. Knives are no different than anything else that you buy in life, you have different levels of quality and usually the price reflects it.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I saw a 600 dollar switchblade in the classifieds..... Really 600 dollars for a knife that opens automagically... thats just sad

The knife that you are referring to is a Severtech Auto.......Severtech is out of business and this knife is highly sought after. Actually $600 is a good deal for it, I have seen them go for as much as $800.00. If I had the extra cash, I would jump on it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    If you are concerned with a $500 knife..... Please do yourself a favor and don't visit jayfisher.com . And if you do, your cardiologist owes me a commission. :D

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Why buy a Sig, Colt, Kimber, or any other high priced gun

That is a damn good question Brad, why buy a Colt :dunno:

The blade is a little thin for my liking, but it's a US made knife (US labor costs) and titanium isn't cheap.

You think $500 is rediculous, check out some of RJ Martin's knives, they're going for good money right now.

I feel weird though, I look at that knife, I see $524.95, and I think it's a good deal considering some of the other brands I've been checking out lately :):

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    For the same reason some people buy Ferraris or Lamborghinis, vs. Hyundais or Kias.

You get the performance, engineering and workmanship you pay for.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Being a person that enjoys good quality and performance in what I am using or my hobby I get it but really, There are few moving parts, less material than used in a gun and a hell of a lot less machine work involved............Those prices are nuts.

To each their own and I respect that but I will go for the nice 1911 for around the same money.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side

How much money do you spend on your guns? probably about the same or more and how often do you actually use your pistol or rifles? I can pretty much guarantee you that you will use this knife or any knife you carry daily 5x more than your pistol or rifle. even counting most peoples range trips. custom hand made stuff isn't cheap. have you looked at custom wood shelves or custom hand built/fitted pistols? they cost a lot more than pre manufactured stuff as they should and the quality is usually much better.

Grunt nailed it. The steel + the titanium + the maker = $$$ Little out of my price range at the moment, but if I had the money to burn, I'd buy it and feel ok about the price.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I look at it different ways:

• you get what you pay for (diminishing returns at some point, but still you get returns.)
    • you can pay for a name/crafstman - a bucket of paint and canvas is much cheaper than a picasso
    • you buy it cause you think its cool

I've paid over $500 for a knife, but it was a huge hunk of steel...

Top Bottom