• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Been considering a Microtech and the HK Tumult. Microtech speaks for itself it terms of quality, reliability, etc. Does anyone have any experience with the Tumult? I know Benchmade is a great company, however I feel like Microtech sets the bar for OTF knives. I'm mainly concerned with lockup...I saw a vid of guy stabbing a Mictrotech in a piece of wood with no blade collapse...anyone know how a Tumult would react? I don't have plans of stabbing a piece of wood, or even flesh for that matter, to me it shows more about build quality. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS, the Microtech I am comparing is an Ultratech (which is another reason why the decision is hard, both are similarly priced. Microtech is just harder to find.)

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have the epidemic, but from what I've read it's nearly identical to the tumult. I've had to issues with anything breaking and it's held up just fine to light stress tests and "wood stabs".

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I have the epidemic, but from what I've read it's nearly identical to the tumult. I've had to issues with anything breaking and it's held up just fine to light stress tests and "wood stabs".

I found a review of the two side by side, and apparently they are verrrrrrrry similar. There are subtle details between the two but it looks like for all intensive purposes they are "nearly identical" Idk, The HK looks pretty promising. Though they are similarly priced, the HK is still cheaper....not to mention Microtech seems to be getting dogged pretty bad for customer service and or repair. And apparently you cant get service unless youre LEO/MIL? We'll see I suppose. Thanks for the reply and info though!

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have an HK Tamult. I love it, the blade comes out faster than the Ultratech. Lockup is the same as the Ultratech. The HK uses better steel than the Ultratech. The HK gives you more cutting edge, less weight, and the overall length is still smaller than the Ultratech. Oh and the one product killer for me... If you sharpen a microtech, it voids your warranty. So when you need sharpening you have to send it in for some horrid amount of money, and then you have to wait about 4-8 weeks to get your knife back.

The Tumult is just a better knife for the money.

With all that being said, I still like the microtechs, but just the real microtechs, not the ultratechs. The Combat Troodon is prolly the best DA auto on the planet for the money.

Hoosier Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    If you sharpen a microtech, it voids your warranty. So when you need sharpening you have to send it in for some horrid amount of money, and then you have to wait about 4-8 weeks to get your knife back.

Wow, seriously? I was thinking about getting a Microtech, but I never will if that is the case.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Wow, seriously? I was thinking about getting a Microtech, but I never will if that is the case.
    Me neither..
    I've been sharpening my own knives for fifty years.
    My kitchen knives, my carry knives, and my collection knives are all stupid sharp.
    Why in the Hell would I send a knife away, and pay someone else, to sharpen it when I can make a razor out of it myself?? :dunno:

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    I have an HK Tamult. I love it, the blade comes out faster than the Ultratech. Lockup is the same as the Ultratech. The HK uses better steel than the Ultratech. The HK gives you more cutting edge, less weight, and the overall length is still smaller than the Ultratech. Oh and the one product killer for me... If you sharpen a microtech, it voids your warranty. So when you need sharpening you have to send it in for some horrid amount of money, and then you have to wait about 4-8 weeks to get your knife back.

With all that being said, I still like the microtechs, but just the real microtechs, not the ultratechs. The Combat Troodon is prolly the best DA auto on the planet for the money.

Only if you improperly sharpen it.

Knife Care « Microtechknives

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately they only provide warranty service on auto knives to active Military or LEO.

Benchmade is the same. They make is seem like a federal thing, as they will sell and ship auto-knives to non-LEO/Military inside of Oregon but not across state lines.
    And in their faqs, they have the Q. Where do I send my knife for repairs and what's involved? question. At the end it states

In the case that you have an automatic knife and live outside the state of Oregon you will have to send the appropriate documentation (Auto Knife Opening Acknowledgement Form) along with the knife or have the dealer from where the knife was purchased send the knife for you. If you do not have the credentials we are federally restricted (Federal Statute Page) from returning the knife to you.

Federal Regulations

Last edited:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Benchmade is the same. They make is seem like a federal thing, as they will sell and ship auto-knives to non-LEO/Military inside of Oregon but not across state lines.
    And in their faqs, they have the Q. Where do I send my knife for repairs and what's involved? question. At the end it states

In the case that you have an automatic knife and live outside the state of Oregon you will have to send the appropriate documentation (Auto Knife Opening Acknowledgement Form) along with the knife or have the dealer from where the knife was purchased send the knife for you. If you do not have the credentials we are federally restricted (Federal Statute Page) from returning the knife to you.

Federal Regulations

Maybe an INGO attorney of perhaps a knife dealer can comment on this.
    It's my understanding that the Federal Regulations only apply to auto knives shipped by the USPS and not common carriers like FedEX and UPS.
    Otherwise it would be illegal to ship any automatic knife out of the State of manufacture unless it went to a Military or Civilian Procurement Department.
    Also SOG's warranty states that they accept returns on all of their products including the automatic series. :dunno:
    Warranty

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm curious if these places have decided to take the most cautious route. It's obvious that it's above my head though. To me the best option is to find a dealer I'll be able to work with if there's a problem in the future.

Here's the code Benchmade is citing in case we get someone with a legal background to weigh in.

FEDERAL CODES-
    18 USC 1716 (G) (2) (1-4) provides this summary: Switchblade knives can be shipped to civilian and armed forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal government ordering or procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with activities in the Federal government; to supply or procurement officers in the National Guard, the Air National Guard or militia of the state or territory of the District of Columbia ordering, procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such organizations; to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any state or territory of any county, city, or other political subdivision of a state or territory ordering, procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such government.
    15 USC 1244 provides in summary: Knives can be shipped by common carrier, that sale, transportation or distribution, possession or introduction into interstate commerce of switchblade knives is authorized if it is pursuant to a contract with the armed forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his or her duty may possess switchblade knives any may have them shipped to him and sold to him or her. The possession and transportation upon his or her person of a switchblade knife or a blade 3 inches or less is authorized to any handicapped individual who has the use of only one arm.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    So if something happens to either knife...Us non LEO/MIL can't send it back? Also, it's illegal to ship via USPS across state lines? Even to auto-legal states? Weird...Probably wont deter me a whole lot from getting one but seems like they are making things harder for no apparent reason?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    So if something happens to either knife...Us non LEO/MIL can't send it back? Also, it's illegal to ship via USPS across state lines? Even to auto-legal states? Weird...Probably wont deter me a whole lot from getting one but seems like they are making things harder for no apparent reason?
    I think that's the entire purpose of having a Federal Bureaucracy.....

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Looked at Benchmade autos at Whittakers last week. As an IN resident , I could not buy one and walk out of their store with. it. They would have to send it to their FFL guy in Evansville like they do with handguns, adding an additional $15 charge. I'll buy from BladeHQ. No fuss, no muss, no hassles.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Looked at Benchmade autos at Whittakers last week. As an IN resident , I could not buy one and walk out of their store with. it. They would have to send it to their FFL guy in Evansville like they do with handguns, adding an additional $15 charge. I'll buy from BladeHQ. No fuss, no muss, no hassles.

WHAT!? Alright, sorry for all caps but I spit my diet coke at the monitor....Is that for real? As in you have to fill out a 4473 type form to get one!? Agreed about bladehq. If that's how it's gonna be, that again seems like they are making things harder for no apparent reason...

**edit--> making things harder to turn a profit...

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    My thoughts exactly. No 4473 required. I questioned the sales clerk and she asked the manager (one of the Whittakers, I believe). Manager lady (pretty blonde) made some calls - ATF and Benchmade, I think, then told me that Benchmade requires them to do that.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

i think what they told you is BS!!!......no offense..... BladeHq sent me a OTF auto USPS about a month ago....

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    i think what they told you is BS!!!......no offense..... BladeHq sent me a OTF auto USPS about a month ago....
    It looks like a cluster**** and the Feds are at the heart of it... (Surprise!!!!!)
    I know that Freedom Arms and ZX Guns in Ft. Wayne are selling them and they had to get shipped from the distributer to the store somehow.
    I guess if I want an auto knife I'll just have to buy one and see if the Federal Alphabet Boys say anything. :dunno:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

The Ultratech models that I have been receiving lately have Elmax for the blade steel. It would be hard to argue that D2 is better than Elmax. While the H&K is a decent knife, no way is it better in design or quality than the Ultratech, if you go to the knife forums and read what people say from experience, the Ultratech wins hands down. I would like to know why you think the Ultratech is not a "real Microtech"

Normal sharpening doesn't void the Microtech warranty. Now, if you go and bugger it up, then yes, it probably will, but it is not any different than the Benchmade warranty, you go and bugger up a benchmade blade and it's not cover under their warranty.

Note: I have no dog in this fight/discussion, I'm a direct dealer for both Benchmade and Microtech. Both companies make good quality knives, but when it comes to OTF models, Microtech wins hands down.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom