• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    so i searched the forum and came to the conclusion the sharp maker is probably the go to for sharpening my endura 4 (replaced my benchmad barrage long sad story) anyone have any tips on sharpening the seration? im a pretty seasoned sharpener and regularly sharpen knives to shaving sharp, but i rarely buy serrated knives thus ive never sharpened one. so this brings me to questions like do i only sharpen the concave side and never put the flat side on a flat stone? more of just a curiousity on this question has anyone ever stroped serations with say a leather shoelace? any advice is appreciated tricks are always welcome as this will be my first sharp maker.

Edit: this is a work knife that gets USED for alot of normal knife tasks through out the day.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I am not saying that this is a good answer,but I have a old Spyderco that I use a lot for rough work..cutting small trees out of fences,ect. I use a round chainsaw file and a triangular file and then buff the flat side with a diamond stick. It ain't pretty,but it sure cuts! (I would not use this method on a pretty knife)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    anyone have any tips on sharpening the seration? im a pretty seasoned sharpener and regularly sharpen knives to shaving sharp, but i rarely buy serrated knives thus ive never sharpened one. so this brings me to questions like do i only sharpen the concave side and never put the flat side on a flat stone?

Use only the corners of the Sharpmaker stones with a 3-1 ratio. 3 strokes on the serrations, and then one stroke on the flat side to break the burr.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    if memory serves me right,the video that comes with the sharpmakes says use the pointed side of the rod on the rounded(front) side of the serations, and the flat side of the rod on the back side of the serations(the flat side) make 5 pulls on the serated side, and 1 pull on the flat side(to remove the burr)

be careful if you sharpen too much of the back, you'll start to remove the serations

good luck and thats why i dont buy serated blades anymore!

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    if memory serves me right,the video that comes with the sharpmakes says use the pointed side of the rod on the rounded(front) side of the serations, and the flat side of the rod on the back side of the serations(the flat side) make 5 pulls on the serated side, and 1 pull on the flat side(to remove the burr)

be careful if you sharpen too much of the back, you'll start to remove the serations

good luck and thats why i dont buy serated blades anymore!

Wife bought it return policy lapsed before i got it for my bday i wanted non serrated no biggy its a work knife anyway.

DosOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Evansville
    Im not really into serrated blades anymore but ive got a few that i still use and do some for friends. I use a tapered fine diamomd rod. I mostly hit the cut side but if there is a burr then i will hit the flat side a tiny bit

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    So does the Spyderco Sharp Maker really work that well on the serrated blades?
    I've got a Spyder edge (I think that's what its called) on the Stainless Police model. It could stand to be sharpened as it was my everyday carry for several years of odd/random tasks. I like the knife and don't necessarily want to damage the serrations.
    Thoughts/experiences?

Stay safe

Top Bottom