• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I'm thinking about giving a nice pocket folder to my father next month as a gift. He was Army airborne back in the 60's but his main hobby for years has been billiards. He's a classy guy that lives in Florida. I know I could make a decision on a good folder for him, but I think for him to like it, it's going to have some classy appeal to it and not so much tactical appeal. I've looked at beautiful knives that cost 2K or so that would be mind blowing to him, but I'm thinking my budget is $200 or less (unless there is something that is just awesome for a little more). I'd appreciate suggestions and below are some stipulations/suggestions.

1. No serrated edge
    2. Better small than large
    3. No OTF autos, yes to auto folders
    4. Mother of Pearl, Abalone, Damascus and other pretty stuff is a plus
    5. Nice box or case

That's about all I can think of. I'd really appreciate the help as I myself continue to look. Currently browsing on bladehq.com

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I gave my dad a Benchmade Opportunist once upon a time that he dearly loves. Says it's the best knife he's ever had. Almost had a panic attack one day he thought he lost it, as they are now discontinued.

However, this current Benchmade has some similar design to it.

482 Megumi? Product Detail

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana

The Arizona link is great!

This one for $169 is almost perfect:
    0130216518767701990.jpg

I definitely like abalone better than mother of pearl. I actually meant to say abalone in my suggestion list. It's what I prefer on my guitars trim.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'd go with a multi-blade, slipjoint folder. A really nice stockman pattern would be ideal, especially with really nice handle scales on it.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I appreciate the suggestions, but I don't like multi-blade pocket knives with skinny blades. Case has been around forever doing the stag handled pocket knives that they just seem passé to me. More like a boy's first knife. I want to get him something that he's never seen before.

I've seen a handful of really nice knives for a good price but the abalone was fake.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    William Henry knives can be had for sub 500 dollars. they are definitely expensive but very awesome knives. I saw one sell for 300 dollars the other day. It just depends on the model.

edited saw the budget now.

Get on blade forums and go to the exchange. buying used can save you a good bit of money. If not maybe get on benchmade's sight and design him a custom griptillian knife. you can get stuff put on the blade pick shapes and colors. it would be a very personal knife.

If your going to buy something new though definitely get with brad he usually has the best prices.

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I have a few William Henry knives in stock, but they are in the $700 to $800 price range. These are very limited editions with only 25 made (model B12-Mediterranean) on the one model, and it normally sells for around $1400 and the other model that I have, only 100 were made (model B-12- Jackson Creek) and it sells normally for $1350.00.

I was told once that you had to own a Rolex watch in order to be able to own a William Henry knife. :):

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a few William Henry knives in stock, but they are in the $700 to $800 price range. These are very limited editions with only 25 made (model B12-Mediterranean) on the one model, and it normally sells for around $1400 and the other model that I have, only 100 were made (model B-12- Jackson Creek) and it sells normally for $1350.00.

I was told once that you had to own a Rolex watch in order to be able to own a William Henry knife. :):

I'm out!

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Will this simply be a collector item for your dad or will he be using it as well?

The reason I ask is damascus steel has such a range of quality, a lower grade damascus steel will not have a good hardness rating or hold an edge very well. A nice damascus steel can have similar characteristics to a high grade knife blade with a 58-60 HRC and good edge retention. So if he is going to use it regularly maybe a nice benchmade blue class is in order. I bet Brad could get you a great price. Products

If he is not going to use it I would think you would want a real collector item and not something that just looks cool. Something he could maybe give to your son someday and could become a family heirloom. A benchmade Gold class? I bet Brad could get pretty close to your price on a few of these (Others maybe not) Products

Talk to Brad about prices I bet he can beat any price on the website by a long shot.

Im a little partial to BM and it doesnt have to be but that is just something to think about.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Will this simply be a collector item for your dad or will he be using it as well?

The reason I ask is damascus steel has such a range of quality, a lower grade damascus steel will not have a good hardness rating or hold an edge very well. A nice damascus steel can have similar characteristics to a high grade knife blade with a 58-60 HRC and good edge retention. So if he is going to use it regularly maybe a nice benchmade blue class is in order. I bet Brad could get you a great price. Products

If he is not going to use it I would think you would want a real collector item and not something that just looks cool. Something he could maybe give to your son someday and could become a family heirloom. A benchmade Gold class? I bet Brad could get pretty close to your price on a few of these (Others maybe not) Products

Talk to Brad about prices I bet he can beat any price on the website by a long shot.

Im a little partial to BM and it doesnt have to be but that is just something to think about.

He doesn't know much about knives nor would he probably use it much. Probably just use it occasionally or to have to pull out of his pocket to show his buddies when they come over to play pool. So this knife is more for aesthetic appeal. He makes sure the waterworks in his gated community in
    Florida is operating as it should, so his job doesn't require a knife on the job at all times. So that's why I'm going more for a wow look than a solid utilitarian approach. I can always get him a good EDC knife, but I'm not sure he worry's much about that like you or I may.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Cool thread... my dad was in the Corps in the 70's and was issued a folding pocket knife. He's been out of the Corps for a long time, but he had kept that knife with him for 30+ years. I remember playing with it as a kid... and at his current job he used the knife and stored it in a small tool bag.

Well unfortunately someone stole that tool bag 2 weeks ago. He had hundreds of dollars worth of tools in that bag, but when he was telling me the story, he mentioned that knife specifically and while my dad would never say it, I could tell that it bothered him that it was gone. Mind you, my dad isn't a knife expert (nore am I for that matter) and isn't the type to jump on the internet to try and replace it.

Lucky for him I am ;) A little searching the internet (and my memory bank) and I think I found it. Its a Camillus TL-29. I already have one on the way and I can't wait to see his face when he opens it up at Thanksgiving!

Sorry for the thread jack... but I couldn't help but share.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    there is a william henry auto in the cove on USN right now with leather sheath and everything for 250 bucks. It's a smaller knife but very cool. has a jewel for the release.

Check ebay if the william henry is really what your looking for. there is a nice one going for 260 right now. that's not to far out of your budget. One has a mother of pearl handles for 240. very nice looking blade.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom