How do you use a Lanyard on your knives?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I cant see how a lanyard on a knife would be useful. I must be wrong or the manufacturers would not make knives with a lanyard holes. What is the experience of the INGO members with lanyards and how do you use them if at all?

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    My ESEE 6 I use the lanyard hole for a small length of paracord to wrap around my wrist so I can hold it lower on the handle and maintain leverage and grip when I am chopping with it. I'm pretty sure there are some YouTube videos out there that people have put out showing exactly what your asking about.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    For folding knives, other than the aesthetics (coolness factor) of having a lanyard, it can be used to help pull the knife out of the pocket. It does help especially with a knife that is designed for deep pocket carry. For fixed blade knives, it is more of a safety and control feature. With a lanyard around your wrist you are less likely to lose control of your blade when using it hard. :twocents:

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Slip your thumb through the lanyard, wrap the lanyard around the back of your hand, and grip the handle. If the lanyard is the right length the knife will not come out of your hand. (The right length for me before tying is around 27".)

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    All of the guys that have responded are right about the uses. There are a lot of other reasons though. Youtube or a knife forum are probably your best source for the info.

Several of my knives have lanyards and many do not. It really depends on what I use a specific knife for. My hunting and skinning knives do not, but most of my bushcraft type do have. PM me if you want a more detailed explaination.

GAM3INO

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Crown Point
    I only have one on my Lionsteel SR-1. The pocket clip carries so deep, it's hard to get it out of my pocket. I don't like them at all to be honest, but sometimes they're very functional.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Slip your thumb through the lanyard, wrap the lanyard around the back of your hand, and grip the handle. If the lanyard is the right length the knife will not come out of your hand. (The right length for me before tying is around 27".)

This is how I do it as well. It has the advantage of helping lock the grip in your hand when you are using it, plus you can easily let go in a hurry if you need to release the knife quickly. That's not possible if you put the lanyard around your wrist.

It was also the basis for the way I tie and use lanyards for flashlight use, aka "the rhino wrhap."

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    I have also used them for other useful things. Once to replace a broken shoestring in my boots when hiking in El Paso. Once to tie off an emergency candle to a stick to make a torch, when my batteries died while camping. I'm sure I could have done a lot more if I had thought about it.

Top Bottom