Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chezuki View Post
    As to avoid silly misunderstandings.
    Oh, you!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by netsecurity View Post
    Yes, this is my first knife that was not from Walmart bargain bin. It is 154CM metal. I think I didn't match the angle the first time, and pushed down too hard, and did nothing more than remove the thin edge. Now it needs some serious work to make it sharp again, and I am not up to it, even with a proper sharpener. It took me forever just to figure out what I was dealing with, but I guess having too hard of steel is a good problem to have. Learning the blade's strength this way is an interesting, although unintended, outcome from my testing.

I will definitely send it to Life Sharp, but I'm still interested in obtaining a nice sharpener for future use. I would like something like a Wicked Edge system, but I am not going to spend $300. The Lansky link above is only $30, which seems like it might be too cheap. Is there a reputable sharpener in the $60 range?
    you should be able to get a spyderco sharpmaker for about that price, but if you want the really sharp edge you'll have to but the ultra fine rods and they are about 25.00 each(both on amazon)

now the best advice i ever heard on sharpening a knife, dont make it sharp...KEEP it sharp, dont wait for it to get dull before you sharpen it, i use a sharpmaker, and i put the extra fine rod in and about once a week i just make 10 or 20 passes (on each side) just to keep it hair popping sharp!

User Info Menu

I just finished sharpening a mini griptilian that belongs to my son..We have had this knife for a couple of years..154CM..And it is pretty hard.I am not sure that D2 is all that much harder. I use only a 12 inch kitchen diamond stick,then finish on a steel. It takes a while,when he gets it really dull. Like Shootersix said...maintaining that edge is the best way..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdhaines View Post
    I've got a D2 griptilian. I could never put a decent edge on mine either. I am hand-sharpening challenged. I had a 5 stone lansky system that would put a useable edge on it, but it was never shaving sharp. This year I broke down and bought a wicked edge. Now it's screaming sharp without any effort. It really is an amazing system. Everything comes out scary sharp.

D2 is a very hard steel and is by far the most difficult steels I've tried to sharpen. If I could do it again, I'd go with a softer steel that could sharpen more easily. I bought the D2 because I wanted to avoid sharpening as much as possible. I can go three months sometimes between sharpening, which is nice. Before I got the wicked edge I would let it get very dull and dread the 3 hours on the Lansky it would take me to fix it.
    The D2 is the most difficult blade I have ever had to sharpen, it was the only one I could not get sharp so I bought the Lansky and it works great for me. The trick I found is that I just rough up the blade where I want it with the 120grit and then I take my time and only grain it one way with the other stone. Light and easy, grab a beer and take your time.

I have only heard great things about the wicked system but for the price I had to try the Lansky first and it has been working well for me. I can shave with it and now that its actually getting sharp they seem to hold an edge a lot longer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by netsecurity View Post
    Yes, this is my first knife that was not from Walmart bargain bin. It is 154CM metal. I think I didn't match the angle the first time, and pushed down too hard, and did nothing more than remove the thin edge. Now it needs some serious work to make it sharp again, and I am not up to it, even with a proper sharpener. It took me forever just to figure out what I was dealing with, but I guess having too hard of steel is a good problem to have. Learning the blade's strength this way is an interesting, although unintended, outcome from my testing.

I will definitely send it to Life Sharp, but I'm still interested in obtaining a nice sharpener for future use. I would like something like a Wicked Edge system, but I am not going to spend $300. The Lansky link above is only $30, which seems like it might be too cheap. Is there a reputable sharpener in the $60 range?
    It sounds like you just need a sharpening system. If you get the Lansky its 25degree will match BM edge on the griptillian.

You can get the Lansky with diamond stones, I think its about that price then, both the diamond and the regular stones will do the job. The trick to it is you are able to hit the same angle every time and finish off with a high grit stone. Here is a link to mine on a crappy kitchen knife.
    http://ingunowners.com/forums/cuttin...anks-brad.html
    If you want I can sharpen my 154cm griptillian tonight and take pics for you to help with your decision. It has no problem putting a mirror finish on the 154cm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2