Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shooter

User Info Menu

cannot make griptillian sharp

I have a new Griptillian Mini. It was so sharp it would shave my arm and slice cleanly through 8 sheets of thick paped just by barely pressing down (not see sawing). I put it through some paces, a little hard use and then tried to sharpen it. I cannot get it sharp enough to even cleanly slice a single sheet of paper! I've been working on it for foir hours, and it won't improve. I thought my diamond sharpener was nof fine enough, so I got a three stone set today, and have tried it several times to even less success.

Need ao.e advice.

User Info Menu

Hard to tell whats gone on without seeing you do it...could be a lot of different things. Not establishing a good bevel, wrong angle, progessing through stones too quickly, etc. Hope you figure it out. If you dont figure it out and need it sharpened send me a PM I can get the edge back for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by netsecurity View Post
    I have a new Griptillian Mini. It was so sharp it would shave my arm and slice cleanly through 8 sheets of thick paped just by barely pressing down (not see sawing). I put it through some paces, a little hard use and then tried to sharpen it. I cannot get it sharp enough to even cleanly slice a single sheet of paper! I've been working on it for foir hours, and it won't improve. I thought my diamond sharpener was nof fine enough, so I got a three stone set today, and have tried it several times to even less success.

Need ao.e advice.
    It's about maintaining the right angle when you are abrading the metal. One trick that helps is to use a Sharpie on the primary edge bevel. If you're not wearing it away quickly, you will see that the marker is not disappearing, and whether your angle to to high or low.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

i can make it sharp, guaranteed
    I make things really sharp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    It's about maintaining the right correct angle when you are abrading the metal.
    As to avoid silly misunderstandings.
    If you’re free you’ll never see the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Listen to Rhino, Coach, NHT3, and as much as I hate to say it, Chezuki. :-)
    Mooresville #78 F. & A. M.

Shooter

User Info Menu

I am going to send it to Benchmade's Life Sharp service this time, since it is only a couple weeks old and I want it restored to like new condition. In the future I'll be a lot less gung ho, and then stick to gentle sharpening. I think the basic problem is that the steel is too hard for me to work with, and I'm afraid to push down too hard. I have a lot to learn, and this is definitely not the best knife for learning on.

User Info Menu

One word, Sharpmaker. I can't sharpen a knife to save my life on a stone, but with the sharpmaker it's a breeze; especially on a non-recurve edge like on your mini griptillian

User Info Menu

Did you get the 145CM or the D2 Blade?
    Is this your first really nice knife?

The nicer blades are a lot harder to sharpen, and if you are not matching the current edge that BM put on the knife you will be spending a lot of time putting a whole new edge on it.

What you need is a true sharpening kit to be able to get that sharp, as mentioned above a sharpmaker, or I have a Lansky Professional kit that works well. You need a more abrasive stone to get it where you want it and a honing stone to get it razor sharp. I suggest not sending it to BM, I dont think they do a great job sharpening a knife.

KnifeHog - Lansky Professional Sharpening System LKCPR

User Info Menu

I've got a D2 griptilian. I could never put a decent edge on mine either. I am hand-sharpening challenged. I had a 5 stone lansky system that would put a useable edge on it, but it was never shaving sharp. This year I broke down and bought a wicked edge. Now it's screaming sharp without any effort. It really is an amazing system. Everything comes out scary sharp.

D2 is a very hard steel and one of the more difficult steels I've tried to sharpen. If I could do it again, I'd go with a softer steel that could sharpen more easily. I bought the D2 because I wanted to avoid sharpening as much as possible. I can go three months sometimes between sharpening, which is nice. Before I got the wicked edge I would let it get very dull and dread the 3 hours on the Lansky it would take me to fix it.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tnichols00 View Post
    Did you get the 145CM or the D2 Blade?
    Is this your first really nice knife?

The nicer blades are a lot harder to sharpen, and if you are not matching the current edge that BM put on the knife you will be spending a lot of time putting a whole new edge on it.

What you need is a true sharpening kit to be able to get that sharp, as mentioned above a sharpmaker, or I have a Lansky Professional kit that works well. You need a more abrasive stone to get it where you want it and a honing stone to get it razor sharp. I suggest not sending it to BM, I dont think they do a great job sharpening a knife.

KnifeHog - Lansky Professional Sharpening System LKCPR
    Yes, this is my first knife that was not from Walmart bargain bin. It is 154CM metal. I think I didn't match the angle the first time, and pushed down too hard, and did nothing more than remove the thin edge. Now it needs some serious work to make it sharp again, and I am not up to it, even with a proper sharpener. It took me forever just to figure out what I was dealing with, but I guess having too hard of steel is a good problem to have. Learning the blade's strength this way is an interesting, although unintended, outcome from my testing.

I will definitely send it to Life Sharp, but I'm still interested in obtaining a nice sharpener for future use. I would like something like a Wicked Edge system, but I am not going to spend $300. The Lansky link above is only $30, which seems like it might be too cheap. Is there a reputable sharpener in the $60 range?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast