• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What other sharpening "systems" are out there - that are worth the money?

Admittedly, I like the Lanskey systems...

I would LOVE a WE - but certainly can't even afford the most basic of those. Let alone all the other stones that I'd want/need.

I HAD a Spyderco Sharpmaker for a short time. I just couldn't get it. No matter how I tried, I couldn't keep the blade vertical.

But, with a "system" like the Lanskey - keeping the angle is basically foolproof.

And that's why I want a "system" - that takes ME out as the variable. So a set of Arkansas stones is pretty much out of the picture, too, even though I know that some folks can use them well.

I ain't one of those fellers...

So - is a Lanskey system what I'm looking for?

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Shipping your knives off to be sharpened would take you out of the variable.

Agreed.

But the cost and hassle to do that - whenever I wanted to sharpen something - tells me that I don't want to do this.

Plus being able to sharpen a blade or two in front of the TV while my wife grades papers can be somewhat cathartic.

-J-

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    64mmW.jpg

I actually didn't understand the overhead cost on the wicked edge and thought it could be made cheaper. Now I have confirmed it. LOL

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Have you tried the Lansky? I have the 5 piece "Professional" kit and I have no problem putting an edge on it I can shave with.

While I would prolly bet the WE system is better the Lansky gets the job done and for only $35 why not try it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here is a great system that I've used for years, I don't know why nobody talks about it

http://www.razoredgesystems.com/pro...lvm_fly2_grey.tpl&product_id=19&category_id=3

Can't mess up the edge angle here

I also don't know why that system doesn't get more discussion. I've seen demos that are impressive including the old man and one of his sons competing. They each had a completely blunt axe, then they raced to see who could sharpen and shave their beard first.

I never bought their kit, but I learned much in the 1980s and early 1990s from them based on their principles. Chief among those ideas was the importance of maintaining the correct angle and the concept of a finishing microbevel that also eliminates the burr/wire edge.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I've got a question about the Wicked Edge system. Will it work with small pocket knives? I've seen the video but it is always on a large blade.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What other sharpening "systems" are out there - that are worth the money?

Admittedly, I like the Lanskey systems...

I would LOVE a WE - but certainly can't even afford the most basic of those. Let alone all the other stones that I'd want/need.

I HAD a Spyderco Sharpmaker for a short time. I just couldn't get it. No matter how I tried, I couldn't keep the blade vertical.

But, with a "system" like the Lanskey - keeping the angle is basically foolproof.

And that's why I want a "system" - that takes ME out as the variable. So a set of Arkansas stones is pretty much out of the picture, too, even though I know that some folks can use them well.

I ain't one of those fellers...

So - is a Lanskey system what I'm looking for?

-J-

I had problems keeping the blade vertical on my sharpmaker as well when I first got it.

I hate sharpening. I need to do it more often, since my blades are dull. But I just hate sharpening.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Fortunately or unfortunately, I think a Lanskey system is just about the only "system" that I can afford.

That is, of course, until I hit the MegaMillions tomorrow evening...

-J-

Top Bottom