• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    Ok, I know that i have always wanted a Randall Attack 14. I am looking for opinions, is it worth it?
    I have several good knives, an Esse and a Buckmaster. yes i know if i dont cut them just throw the Buckmaster and if i hit them they are going down. LOL
    What do you all think?

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I have had several Randalls. I currently have 2: a 25 and a 15. The 14 is probably one of the coolest knives ever. It's a bit long for my use so i went for the 15.

They are great knives and ones that can be passed down, one that hold their value VERY well, and one that has a tremendous amount of customization, but in the end, they do what most knives do--they cut things. So, it's a matter of whether you're willing to spend the $ on one.

Personally, I'm not the kind of guy that owns dozens of knives. I prefer to get a few that cover everything I need and then buy the best I possibly can of those and call it a day. Randall Made works well for me.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    If your buying it to just collect that is fine, IMO that is really all they are is collector pieces. they work well for cutting stuff and looking pretty but the warranty is not good and they are extremely expensive for what you get. Lots of custom makers out there will make you a knife with better materials for a lot cheaper price. Just my 2 cents worth.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Ok, I know that i have always wanted a Randall Attack 14. I am looking for opinions, is it worth it?
    I have several good knives, an Esse and a Buckmaster. yes i know if i dont cut them just throw the Buckmaster and if i hit them they are going down. LOL
    What do you all think?

Go for it. The model 14 at the top has been used a number of times since I bought it 30 years ago. And it's worth 2-3 times what I paid for it. Take care of it, use it responsibly as you would any knife and you won't be disappointed or need any warranty.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    You never need a warranty until you need the warranty. A knife that costs that much money should be top of the line in all departments including warranty. **** happens. Stuff breaks sometimes when your barely doing anything.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    . Take care of it, use it responsibly as you would any knife and you won't be disappointed or need any warranty.

I thought Randall's warranty didn't cover batoning, throwing, or chopping?

Don't get me wrong, I love good craftmanship and attention to detail. But, isn't Randall's warranty for....cutting...purposes only?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If your buying it to just collect that is fine, IMO that is really all they are is collector pieces. they work well for cutting stuff and looking pretty but the warranty is not good and they are extremely expensive for what you get. Lots of custom makers out there will make you a knife with better materials for a lot cheaper price. Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with this 100%. I've owned a couple Randalls, and several Busses. I'll take a Busse over a Randall every time.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    For that kind of money, me personally, I want a knife that I can chop, pry, baton, stay sharp and look good all at the same time.

I used to believe a knife was made just for cutting things, I've learned they can do so much more! Come check out the next INGO Chop-In, you can find out for yourself.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    To each his own. But tens of thousands of combat vets over the last 70 years can't be wrong. If you read some of the stories from Viet Nam you'll find that the Model 14 was used for prying, chopping and opening steel containers numerous times. As far as throwing, I'll leave that to Hollywood. Why would you ever throw your most important survival tool? If you turn a 14 around and use the wider beveled sharpened top edge you'll find batoning isn't necessary. And my 14 sheared off a steel screw while a buddy was shaving down some wood with it. And as you can see by the picture (top knife) it survived quite well and still looks good.
    I know several guys who have used Randalls for the last 35 years and not one of them has ever had to make use of Randall's warranty. But then again these guys aren't the type who would take a Corvette back to the Chevy dealer and complain because it fell apart after they took it off road.
    I realize the current trend is to pay big money for a knife that looks like a wire cut, cnc ground hunk of steel that has G10 slabs riveted on for handles or the ever popular tacticool paracord wrapped handle. But that's not for me. If that works for you so be it. But I want a blade that has been forged the way it's been done for thousands of years and the way it was done when your blade was the only weapon you had.

Expatriated.......I love the VSTs, I just found out about them after they were all sold.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I have a ton of hand forged blades both in natural wood handles and micarata and g10 and stag ect. I'm not knocking randall's. they are quality knives and beautiful. they have been to combat many times but so have plenty of cheap junk knives too. All I'm getting at is if I pay 350 plus dollars for a knife I expect it to be a awesome tool that the company will stand behind regardless. to each his own. buy what you like and use it like you want be that set it in the closet/safe or use the **** out of it.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I won't try to talk someone into a Randall. They are a lot of money. But, I've paid MORE money for LESS quality.

Heck, before I knew any better I paid $400 for a Strider folder one time. A FOLDER! Close to that for a Sebenza. Crazy days are behind me now, I'm glad to say:)

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I have a ton of hand forged blades both in natural wood handles and micarata and g10 and stag ect. I'm not knocking randall's. they are quality knives and beautiful. they have been to combat many times but so have plenty of cheap junk knives too. All I'm getting at is if I pay 350 plus dollars for a knife I expect it to be a awesome tool that the company will stand behind regardless. to each his own. buy what you like and use it like you want be that set it in the closet/safe or use the **** out of it.

I hear ya! Sounds like you're a true knife guy like me. That being the case, I'd love to see some of the blades you mentioned.
    Remember.................:postpics:

Oh, and thanks for your service. :yesway:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If I had significant disposable income, I'd only buy Randalls if what I really wanted a Randall for the sake of having a Randall. If I were buying using tools for their utility, I would look elsewhere.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    As far as strength and utility I'd put a Model 14 up against any other knife out there. And that's based on 30 years experience with one. As far as throwing, prying and other tasks best suited for other tools, you may very well get by with those things with your knife.....until you don't. Anything can fail if it's pushed past it's limit. And that's fine in your back yard. But in a life or death situation if it does fail, are you going to stand up on a hill holding your broken blade and scream: "She's guaranteed for life and if I get out of here alive, I'll get a new one!"

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    As far as strength and utility I'd put a Model 14 up against any other knife out there. And that's based on 30 years experience with one. As far as throwing, prying and other tasks best suited for other tools, you may very well get by with those things with your knife.....until you don't. Anything can fail if it's pushed past it's limit. And that's fine in your back yard. But in a life or death situation if it does fail, are you going to stand up on a hill holding your broken blade and scream: "She's guaranteed for life and if I get out of here alive, I'll get a new one!"

Yeah, but in a life and death situation, if you only have a knife and no other tool, are you going to try and get out of that situation by using your knife or would you rather die with a knife that's not broke but looks pretty?

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I'd use it for anything I thought I had to to save my life. And I'll guarantee that a Model 14 would do anything any of the other knives out there would do without breaking. Looking pretty has nothing to do with it. I don't use a 14 because it looks pretty. I use it because it's 1/4" of forged, properly hardened stainless with a 7/8" X 1/4" tang and a solid micarta handle on it. And at $440.00 it's just as affordable as any of the other tactical knives available, and a lot better value than the $700.00 fancy looking machetes I see for sale.
    I know of one Randall Model 15 that broke in a combat situation. If you know of more, please tell me about them. I'm always open to new information. The Model 15 that "failed" did so on October 3, 1993 in Mogadishu. It shattered, stopping an AK round from going through a Navy Seal's leg while going in to retrieve some of our guys.
    The Model 14 and 15 have been doing it right for almost 60 years. And Randall is still making knives for our guys every week. Even though they're over four years out on delivery, they get knives to our soldiers in thirty days. So I'd say they're doing something right.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    So the fact that their warranty says that their knife is a cutting instrument only doesn't bother you?

I'm not opposed to owning a Randal, I like several of their designs. But, my luck, if I truly used the knife, batoned, chopped, pry'd, the thing would break and Randal would say that I'm SOL. If you had a chance of loosing a $440 investment, would you play it safe and baby it or give it hell?

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    No it doesn't really bother me. I think they're just covering their butts like most companies these days and trying to keep people from doing really dumb things with the knife. There are a lot of us here, I'm guessing yourself included, who pretty much know what we can and cannot get by with with any given tool. But there are a lot of others out there who will do really stupid things with anything you hand them. Just turn on the news if you know what I mean. So I think their warranty is a lot more forgiving than it appears. As I said I don't know of anyone personally who has broken one but I've read of a number of incidents over the years where they have replaced knives under circumstances that I myself might have raised an eyebrow to. (lost, stolen, usually for active vets)
    As far as your luck, I know what you mean. If something's gonna blow up it's gonna happen when I'm using it. :(
    But I wouldn't hesitate to give my Model 14 hell. I know that they tested the saw teeth on the first Model 18 by sawing through a galvanized steel trash can lid before they sent it to the vet who requested the design. As far as the 14,15,16,17, and 18, they're designed to be used and abused. The 18 would probably fail before the rest because of the shorter tang required for the hollow handle.The Model 1 or 2 however wouldn't stand up to that type of use because of the thinner profile of the blades and the smaller tangs. They are more strictly fighting knives than general purpose utility knives. That's basically why the 14 and others were designed. If you ever get a chance to pick up a decent used 14 you should give it a try. (I missed one for $299.00 about three weeks ago online.) I think you might be surprised at what it would do.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you ever get a chance to pick up a decent used 14 you should give it a try. (I missed one for $299.00 about three weeks ago online.) I think you might be surprised at what it would do.

Figures, oh the regular production runs I like 14s and 16s the best, I would have no issues paying $299 for a 14. Guess I'll keep my eyes open

The warrant ythings just does kind of bug me. But hell, Chris Reeve and his folders have a shady warranty. I give my XM-18 hell, chopped and stapped with it. That would totally void the warranty on my Umnumzaan. But, for $300 "used", old style pivot with a tanto, I guess we all compromise. It's a hell of a slicer.

Top Bottom