• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What do you look for in a fixed blade?

• Total voters

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've been kicking around the idea of doing high caliber blade works in my free time and starting a side business. As we are in the age of technological advances, the options, benefits and weaknesses of different steel for different applications plays a loud underlying tone in development. 1095 carbon (still used by esee), d2 steel, s30v, s35vn are a few of many great examples of what has come since KAbar set the industry standard with its blood grove. I've been working concepts and models for a while and feel I am months away from starting production (slow and steady in home). Brand name and marketing have been thought through, now is the time to choose the cold steel.

What do you look for in a fixed blade? Please select multiple options!!

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    A knife is to CUT! I chop with axes,hatchets,or machete. 1095 is good..some 440C is good. D2 is my favorite.I have a few custom knives that are made of unnamed steel..I use them,resharpen to my liking..use them again..resharpen. THEN decide whether they stay or go.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    A knife is to CUT! I chop with axes,hatchets,or machete. 1095 is good..some 440C is good. D2 is my favorite.I have a few custom knives that are made of unnamed steel..I use them,resharpen to my liking..use them again..resharpen. THEN decide whether they stay or go.

Maybe for you.

I've used mine for chopping and prying, too. Because I can, and they'll take the pain.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana

:yesway: What he said!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some of the things that are important to me don't appear on the list:
    • Blade grind (flat, hollow, saber, Scandi, etc; taper vs. distal taper, etc.)
    • Edge geometry (cantled vs. convex, etc.)
    • Blade dimensions (length, thickness, width; thickness at edge bevel, etc.)
    • Blade style (drop point, clip point, etc.)
    • Grip size, geometry, and material

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I would say one big factor for me is ease of carry with fixed blades. And that is the biggest reason why I leave my fixed blades at home more often than I should. It seems like sheath design is almost a rushed after thought for a lot of the big name makers. I like TOPS' sheaths for the most part but I wish they were reverseable.

1095 with a good heat treat is a great all around steel and would keep production costs down for you so you could keep the fianal price reasonable. Or you could offer production models in 1095 steel and custom orders in more exotic steels for those who want them.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I would say one big factor for me is ease of carry with fixed blades. And that is the biggest reason why I leave my fixed blades at home more often than I should. It seems like sheath design is almost a rushed after thought for a lot of the big name makers. I like TOPS' sheaths for the most part but I wish they were reverseable.

1095 with a good heat treat is a great all around steel and would keep production costs down for you so you could keep the fianal price reasonable. Or you could offer production models in 1095 steel and custom orders in more exotic steels for those who want them.

Fixed blades are easy to carry. You just have to think outside the box. IWB is one of the easiest and most comfortable ways. jbombelli I am sure would agree to this.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I look for the right sized knife for the application, apply cost, warranty, quality of materials and craftsmanship to select what I need, not what I want. I want a microtech , I don't need a microtech.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I think your question is much too broad, different fixed blades are used for different things.

If I wanted a heavy duty knife to use around the house I would get 154CM over D2, I know the D2 is more popular right now but I feel it is does not hold a razor edge as long as the 154CM. It will however hold a decent edge for longer or what I feel is like forever.

If I was to buy a true survival knife I would get the 1095. While it is softer than both of the above it is easier to sharpen with a crappy hand help sharpner, and is less brittle than the other two steels. This is ideal if I was stranded in the wilderness, the worst thing I could imagine is breaking your blade cause it is brittle. And that is why I think Esee and other survival companies favor it so much.

The S30V is a great steel, the best part about it IMO is it is much more consistent that most other steels since its powder based. It is hard like a D2 but I feel it hold a razor edge like a 154CM.

Really the question you need to ask yourself before choosing a steel is what is the function of this knife.

The thing I look for is heavy duty though, a nice thick blade with a good handle and retention for the handle to the blade, I mean if I didnt need heavy duty I would just be using a flipper right?

Top Bottom