Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Info Menu

Needing Christmas knife suggestions

'Tis the season. I'm looking for ideas on pocket knives as Christmas presents. What are the best folders <$25? <$35? <$50? Bonus points if they're carried by Brad.
    Things I'm looking for:
    Acceptable steel
    Reputable brand
    One handed deployment (nice but not absolute)
    SOLID lockup
    Good EDC knives that you'd be glad to own, but not cry for too long if lost.
    Pocket knives for guys that aren't super-serious knife guys.

Some examples I'm considering: CRKT Drifter, Kershaw Chill, Cryo, Clash, Skyline, Buck Vantage, and Ontario Rat.

Thanks in advance.
    Christian. Husband. Rifleman.

WTB: 243 reloading components

User Info Menu

I've only got experience with the Ontario Rat. I've had it for about a year now and its been a great knife.

User Info Menu

I like the Benchmade Griptillian, its a great knife and reasonably priced for the entry into the the knife world.

Stay Picky my Friends

User Info Menu

Spyderco has quite a few also.

check out the Native, Delica, Endura, etc

Also check out the Kershaw Leak

Quote Originally Posted by Que View Post
    I've banned a couple of people while in church.

User Info Menu

Lightning OTF
    Not sure if Brad carries them, but they're very good/fun for the $$.(Own 3, very sharp when new and hold their edge)

User Info Menu

Victorinox SAKs.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Alrighty time for the knife nut to play.

For around $30 I recommend the Kershaw Thermite it is a Rick Hinderer design so its a lot like a ZT0560 and a XM18. Kershaw Thermite Flipper Spring Assisted Knife (3.5" Stonewashed) 3880 - Blade HQ
    I like the Thermite because it is a little larger than the Cryo so it fits my hand better. Now it is China made but for the price what do you expect.

For around $75 I highly recommend the Spyderco Manix 2 it is made in the USA with premium S30V or CTS-XHP steel and it is super light. It is the knife I recommend to all of my friends looking to get into knives. The craftsmanship is superb and the blue one (also comes in black and one with stainless steel liners) is super lightweight. If you are a nutnfancy guy he gave this knife an 11/10
    The lock the Manix uses is called a captured ball lock it is very close to the AXIS lock used by benchmade and the Spyderco has life sharp and lifetime warrantys same as benchmade. I genuinely like it better than the Griptillian as the Manix has better steel and I prefer the handle of the Spydie.
    Spyderco Manix 2 Knife Translucent Dusk Blue 86mm (3.39" Satin Plain) C101PBL2 - Blade HQ
    "Spyderco Manix 2: To The Elevens" by Nutnfancy (Model C101BL2) - YouTube (Nutnfancy review)

I hope this helps and I know for sure Brad carries these knives.
    Last edited by Dean Crail; 12-12-2013 at 13:25. Reason: Fixing the blade steel names
    Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Dude, from what I can tell from your photos, you don't do anything bargin bin.

User Info Menu

Kershaw leek, and blur are my absolute favorites in your price range. I also have the clash, scallion, and rat-1, but none of those are on the same level.

User Info Menu

This is OkieGirl's EDC. Meets most of your requirements. It is a little small for my big hands but it is a cool knife. (Hers is the all black version - very cool).

Mini MyTighe Knife | EDC Folding Knives | CRKT
    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was mainly looking for a gift for my father-in-law. I looked at a bunch of knives, then narrowed it down to my five favorites. I showed them to my wife, and she says her dad has never owned a knife like any of them. Apparently he has only owned slipjoint knives and she doesn't think he would like anything else. Then she told me she'd rather get him something else anyway. Ah well. Wives, what are ya gonna do?

Hopefully the thread can help someone else looking for a Christmas present or a good deal on budget knives.

Christian. Husband. Rifleman.

WTB: 243 reloading components

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast