• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    'Tis the season. I'm looking for ideas on pocket knives as Christmas presents. What are the best folders <$25? <$35? <$50? Bonus points if they're carried by Brad.
    Things I'm looking for:
    Acceptable steel
    Reputable brand
    One handed deployment (nice but not absolute)
    SOLID lockup
    Good EDC knives that you'd be glad to own, but not cry for too long if lost.
    Pocket knives for guys that aren't super-serious knife guys.

Some examples I'm considering: CRKT Drifter, Kershaw Chill, Cryo, Clash, Skyline, Buck Vantage, and Ontario Rat.

Thanks in advance.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Spyderco has quite a few also.

check out the Native, Delica, Endura, etc

Also check out the Kershaw Leak

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Alrighty time for the knife nut to play. :rockwoot:

For around $30 I recommend the Kershaw Thermite it is a Rick Hinderer design so its a lot like a ZT0560 and a XM18. Kershaw Thermite Flipper Spring Assisted Knife (3.5" Stonewashed) 3880 - Blade HQ
    I like the Thermite because it is a little larger than the Cryo so it fits my hand better. Now it is China made but for the price what do you expect.

For around $75 I highly recommend the Spyderco Manix 2 it is made in the USA with premium S30V or CTS-XHP steel and it is super light. It is the knife I recommend to all of my friends looking to get into knives. The craftsmanship is superb and the blue one (also comes in black and one with stainless steel liners) is super lightweight. If you are a nutnfancy guy he gave this knife an 11/10
    The lock the Manix uses is called a captured ball lock it is very close to the AXIS lock used by benchmade and the Spyderco has life sharp and lifetime warrantys same as benchmade. I genuinely like it better than the Griptillian as the Manix has better steel and I prefer the handle of the Spydie.
    Spyderco Manix 2 Knife Translucent Dusk Blue 86mm (3.39" Satin Plain) C101PBL2 - Blade HQ
    "Spyderco Manix 2: To The Elevens" by Nutnfancy (Model C101BL2) - YouTube (Nutnfancy review)

I hope this helps and I know for sure Brad carries these knives.

Last edited:

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Kershaw leek, and blur are my absolute favorites in your price range. I also have the clash, scallion, and rat-1, but none of those are on the same level.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I was mainly looking for a gift for my father-in-law. I looked at a bunch of knives, then narrowed it down to my five favorites. I showed them to my wife, and she says her dad has never owned a knife like any of them. Apparently he has only owned slipjoint knives and she doesn't think he would like anything else. Then she told me she'd rather get him something else anyway. Ah well. Wives, what are ya gonna do? :dunno:

Hopefully the thread can help someone else looking for a Christmas present or a good deal on budget knives.

Tired of Lies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Nashville
    Walmart has a bunch of SOG knives and throwing hatchets cheap. Same throwing hatchet I almost bought on Amazon for $38.95 they had for $20. Pack of three throwing knives for $24.95 and a variety of others. My husband and I bought a bunch...for us and as gifts.

Since my shoulder became chronically inflamed (rotator cuff) I have to re-learn to throw more with my non-dominant side. My husband on the other hand still has it. Pisses me off at times. I watched him throw his Army issue K-Bar 26' into a log and I had to PULL it out. FBI considers a human lethal at 21 feet. Don't know how many millions were wasted on figuring that but my husband was also 57 at the time. I plan on using those SOG throwing knives to ask nicely for some more lessons!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Walmart has a bunch of SOG knives and throwing hatchets cheap. Same throwing hatchet I almost bought on Amazon for $38.95 they had for $20. Pack of three throwing knives for $24.95 and a variety of others. My husband and I bought a bunch...for us and as gifts.

Since my shoulder became chronically inflamed (rotator cuff) I have to re-learn to throw more with my non-dominant side. My husband on the other hand still has it. Pisses me off at times. I watched him throw his Army issue K-Bar 26' into a log and I had to PULL it out. FBI considers a human lethal at 21 feet. Don't know how many millions were wasted on figuring that but my husband was also 57 at the time. I plan on using those SOG throwing knives to ask nicely for some more lessons!

The 21 foot rule is not about how far a person can throw an edge weapon. It's about the distance (21 feet) a person with an edged weapon can cover before the other person can draw his/her firearm and defend themselves effectively.

Tired of Lies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Nashville
    I am trying to understand that logic. If a person can throw further than 21 feet then how does that rule apply? And..how did they come up with 21 feet? Why not 19 or 23?

Not trying to argue just trying to figure out the thought process.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I am trying to understand that logic. If a person can throw further than 21 feet then how does that rule apply? And..how did they come up with 21 feet? Why not 19 or 23?

Not trying to argue just trying to figure out the thought process.

I'm no expert on it either, but the 21 foot rule was based on a bad guy standing still (with an edge weapon) then rushing the victim. In theory, the bad guy with the edged weapon could close faster than the victim could draw his/her firearm and defend themselves. So basically 21 feet or closer, the person with the edged weapon has the advantage over the other person if they have their weapon holstered. I could be wrong, but I doubt there is a study out there pertaining to the "safe" distance for someone throwing a knife at them. :dunno:

Here is a link to a pretty good article that explains the 21 foot rule better than I can.

Edged Weapon Defense: Is or was the 21-foot rule valid? (Part 1)

Tired of Lies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Nashville
    Thanks for the link.

I only have one beef....I am sure there is at least one study. We are talking the gov't here. The spent a couple of mil to watch shrimp run on an itty bitty treadmill.

Top Bottom