• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    This is an age old thread, I know, but bear with me; I'm not a "knife guy".

I'm looking for a fixed blade (I think) and looking for recommendations. Probably stay casually around <50, but that's highly negotiable if you're convincing. If you disagree and think a folder is better, I'm happy to hear that as well, provided you recommend one. ;)

The knife is primarily for self defense, but will see minor use, but no chopping.

Its for a female, and I don't believe it needs to be anything huge. My premise is, she currently carries a cheap folder in her purse all the time, but it just rolls around in there. I know when she walks at night she will keep it in her hand if for some reason she doesn't have pepper spray, and I believe she wouldn't hesitate to use it if it came to it, but of course still requires deployment.

Therefore, I am thinking of a fixed blade than can be attached to/against the wall of the purse so the heel of the grip is below the opening still. She can readily index it this way, and keep a hand on it. Likewise, if the purse gets grabbed, the knife stays in her hand when the purse goes away.

She isn't "ready" (willing) to carry a gun, and if the knife is too large or heavy it may just find itself left at home. On the body carry doesn't seem to be an option just yet either. I think a minor cross guard / thumb or finger lip would be an asset (as in more significant than the Coldsteel Spike, just as a point of reference not an anticipated quality).

I will be working with her on the cutting techniques I have been taught. I am also considering a smaller knife entirely like a Hide Away Knife. Convince me regarding serration, full, half, or none.

...so...school me, and critique my thought process.

Thanks, all!

Last edited:

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    Esee Izula, available in pink and Brad carries them.:yesway::yesway:

On the cheaper side, I'd go with the CRKT Minimalist. Good knife, just not on par with an Izula^^

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I appreciate the input and suggestions. I see the TDI's explanation, does anyone else have any particular justification for the knives you're recommending, or they're just ones you like?

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    I appreciate the input and suggestions. I see the TDI's explanation, does anyone else have any particular justification for the knives you're recommending, or they're just ones you like?

EXCELLENT quality, sharp, holds its edge, small enough for comfort, big enough to get the job done, good sheath, looks great, .........................on, and on

^^ Based on my izula recommendation

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Okay I'm not against the Izula. Price isn't terrible. I guess I'm a little mixed up here though. I'm seeing them skeletonized and with grips. Same knife, some are just sold slick?

TDI looks good. I think the Minimalist grip looks like something you could really hold onto in a fight, but she would need to hold it and make sure it fits her hand I think. Actually the same with the TDI as far as the unusual angle.

Thoughts on serrated vs not?

Midwest Chick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I like both the Izula and the TDI. That said, if your wife isn't willing to carry a gun for self-defense, bringing a knife to a fight is a whole lot of different. If she's going to be using her knife like I do--an EDC--opening boxes, etc. then the Izula is a better bet. If you want it for her for pure self-defense, then she first needs to have the mindset to use it in that manner and probably the TDI (non-serrated) would be what you need. Honestly the Izula would be a better introduction to a knife as a tool and then you can go from there.

----------------

ETA: I've never had a reason to use a serrated blade--have a couple of fixed blades with serrations, but I've not found serrations to be particularly useful in my world. Also, get the Izula II with the micarta handle. Very comfortable, non-slip, and the right size for smaller hands. Lastly, find someone else to help train your wife if she's willing--sometimes things come better from a third party. I took a class from the Fortress Defense guys and found it to be very useful.

Last edited:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    :+1: Izula. I keep one on my sling pack for fly fishing, really comes in handy. Takes a razor's edge, easy to sharpen.

Definitely go with the plain edged variant.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay I'm not against the Izula. Price isn't terrible. I guess I'm a little mixed up here though. I'm seeing them skeletonized and with grips. Same knife, some are just sold slick?

There are two models of Izula: Izula has no grip panels, but you can buy grip panels as an accessory that leave the hole exposed (which I prefer). The Izula 2 has grips and no exposed hole.

Thoughts on serrated vs not?

No serrations. They do okay in certain applications, but once they get dull, it can be a chore resharpening. A sharp (and sharp is not synonymous with polished) non-serrated edge will do everything serrations will do, and more, plus is easier to maintain and eventually resharpen.

Top Bottom