Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Ok, I gotta ask.

What makes this knife worth so much?

I'm not questioning your pricing, just never seen anything like this.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    So, the condensed version is that it won't break and it will hold a real nice edge?

Is this a collector's piece anymore, or does it even have collectors value? I sold my knife collection years back, except for some pieces with sentimental value, and I won't carry those.

Sorry for all the questions, but I figured something had to be special about these.

Thanks,

Josh <><

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Josh -

I could spend hours expounding on the qualities of these blades, the family that becomes the HOGs, the friends I have who are Busse Combat. However, this is a sales thread - not a thread in the Cutting Edge. If you want to open up a thread in the appropriate sub-forum, I'll be happy to join in but I believe Fenway et al wants to limit Sale threads in terms of chatter - unless of course you are truly interested in purchasing this blade.

In the meantime, Google is your friend. You'll get many, many results on a Busse Combat search. Here's a few to to keep you busy for a few hours (or days.) Don't blame me if all of your money is gone if you get hooked.

Busse Combat Knife Company

Busse Company Store

Busse Combat Knives - BladeForums.com

Busse Combat Knives Reviews

Bad MOJO - Home

hogcult.com - Busse Combat INFI knives / news

The Busse Collector

Yeah, that's me on the left. Blade Show 2008 - Atlanta

DSCN2174.jpg

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes BUSSEs go up in price. My Busse cost me 375 about 12 years ago. Today, the same knife is 550+

And yes, they have collectors value.

Last edited:

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I love mine. Bought my first one in January of this year and quickly bought another one. They are addictive for sure. If you want a knife that you never have to worry about, IMHO Busse is at the top of a very short list.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    How do they compare to cold steel,,,,which seems to be one of the leaders of the industry?

leader in the industry how? last time I checked they were mediocre/value knives with a horrible face in lynn thompson. busse is well beyond anything cold steel could hope to come up with. that being said I won't but a busse because of the price but I own and would buy scrapyard and swamp rat knives=same company cheaper knives. full disclosure: I own a couple cold steel outdoor utility knives and like them.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    How do they compare to cold steel,,,,which seems to be one of the leaders of the industry?

Cold Steel manufactures nothing of their own except those videos. Some of their products are crap - some are decent. It all depends on who actually manufactured the blades Cold Steel put their name on. For example, "Carbon V" was actually the Becker steel manufactured at the old Camillus factory - at least as accepted industry gossip.

Cold Steel is more of the Wal-Mart of the knife industry.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I am sure these Busse knives are great, but I just cant imagine spending that kinda money on one. Even the very high end cooking knives I buy cost nothing even close to $600 or $700. That is more like what I expect to spend on a decent quality samurai sword. I in no way mean to knock you guys that collect or are into them, but for me there's no freakin way I would even consider it...

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    (I had a long response typed. I changed my mind.)

It comes down to this:

If you think your blades are good enough for you - they probably are.

If you've questioned that, though - It's time to look at Busse Combat.

:)

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    My father made my knife for me. Heavy Morseth steel blade with a brass hilt and cherry wood handle. It has given me perfect service for years, it holds an edge better than any knife I have ever seen. Yea, Id defiantly say its good enough...

Knife002.jpg

Knife003.jpg

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I in no way mean to knock you guys that collect or are into them, but for me there's no freakin way I would even consider it...

I was in the same boat until I bought a swamp rat knife and put it through it's paces. if I had the money I would own a busse in a second.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    My father made my knife for me. Heavy Morseth steel blade with a brass hilt and cherry wood handle.
    Hey! I remember seeing those Morseth kit knives! I bet he got it from AG Russell! They were all A2 steel before WWI but, unless you Dad got the kit when he was REALLY young, I'm assuming this is one of the laminated ( high carbon hard layer and soft iron layer with) imported by Brusletto? Brusletto stopped making laminated steel years because it was found to be too brittle and the failure rate was high.

It has given me perfect service for years, it holds an edge better than any knife I have ever seen. Yea, Id defiantly say its good enough...

Like I said, if it's good enough for you, that's awesome. Being from your Father, it's something that should be given to your kids one day. :yesway:

If you own and appreciate blades based on owning some "decent samurai swords" and cooking knives, you should really try to get to the annual Blade Show in Atlanta : it is the Shot Show for bladecraft. You could meet Paul Chen in person. :D

If you ever want to test drive a Busse, let me know. We may be able to work out a schedule. :D

A couple of light work knives.
    IMG_0955.jpg

A David Wesner along with a Busse.
    wesnerandhh.jpg

Another of my Wesner in A2
    PA300399E.jpg

P1200210.jpg

Probably you're best bet for a walk thru with this one!
    HH2.jpg

HH1.jpg

Swamp Rat, actually here.
    ratdaddylefromdick.jpg

A little light batoning...
    wood.jpg

Here are some leftover Brusletto kits - what the Morseth kits actually used - thought you might be interested. It could be a fun project for you and the kids.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    A good friend of mine - David Brown.

The last sword-like Busse was the AK-47 (American Kensei). Not a traditional sword but was never meant to be - this is a ZOMBIE SLAYER! ;)

Let's try this with some traditional swords...

IMG_7509.jpg

IMG_7512.jpg

Thru a "Dork Ops" Stratofighter.
    IMG_5294-2.jpg

IMG_5321-2.jpg

IMG_5311-2.jpg

One of the small Busse blades (Skeleton Key, neck knife)
    ak1424230la9um7.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom