Anyone know anything about York Cutlery?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    My wife's grandfather gave her this knife the other day, having a hard time finding anything about it. It's beat to hell, dirty, blade is pitted pretty bad. There is a word mark on the blade that says York Cutlery Mania-something, can't tell the last few letters. Seems to have faux stag handle sides. Sorry for the massive pictures, haven't figured that part out yet

attachment.php

attachment.php

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The York Cutlery company that I know about was located in York PA. and imported most their knives from Solingen Germany and a few from Japan and Korea. The handles on your knife look to be bone and not faux stag. Also, when the blade is closed, the two outside hooks on the pivot end of the knife are used to pull shotgun shells out of a shotgun (for shotguns that don't have automatic shell extractors/ejectors). Knives with this feature are call "Shell Puller" knives. I can't tell by your pics what gauge your puller is designed for. There could be a number stamped on the base of the puller where it meets the bolster. The number would indicate the gauge.

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I would try and not to use any chemicals on the handles due to the possibility of discoloring. You might be able to use a wood toothpick and "pick" it off if the paint hasn't gotten down into the pores. If that doesn't work, you can always use Simichrome polish or something similar like Flitz and just polish the paint off. It won't hurt the bone, but will be a pain to do because of the texture of the bone. You can use a toothpick and work the polish into the hard to get areas.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's a beauty! Given the pattern, it's probably at least a few decades old and the blade is in really good shape.

Top Bottom