Join INGunOwners For Free

User Info Menu

Anyone know anything about York Cutlery?

My wife's grandfather gave her this knife the other day, having a hard time finding anything about it. It's beat to hell, dirty, blade is pitted pretty bad. There is a word mark on the blade that says York Cutlery Mania-something, can't tell the last few letters. Seems to have faux stag handle sides. Sorry for the massive pictures, haven't figured that part out yet

Master

User Info Menu

The York Cutlery company that I know about was located in York PA. and imported most their knives from Solingen Germany and a few from Japan and Korea. The handles on your knife look to be bone and not faux stag. Also, when the blade is closed, the two outside hooks on the pivot end of the knife are used to pull shotgun shells out of a shotgun (for shotguns that don't have automatic shell extractors/ejectors). Knives with this feature are call "Shell Puller" knives. I can't tell by your pics what gauge your puller is designed for. There could be a number stamped on the base of the puller where it meets the bolster. The number would indicate the gauge.
    Last edited by Bradsknives; 12-23-2013 at 21:12.

User Info Menu

That is awesome information, thank you. One side of the bolster says 12 and the other says 16

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jkfletcher View Post
    That is awesome information, thank you. One side of the bolster says 12 and the other says 16
    There you go, one side is for a 12 gauge shell and the other side is for a 16 gauge shell.

User Info Menu

If you don't mind one more question, what is the best way to clean the handle? It looks like there is a little bit of over spray from white spray paint

Master

User Info Menu

I would try and not to use any chemicals on the handles due to the possibility of discoloring. You might be able to use a wood toothpick and "pick" it off if the paint hasn't gotten down into the pores. If that doesn't work, you can always use Simichrome polish or something similar like Flitz and just polish the paint off. It won't hurt the bone, but will be a pain to do because of the texture of the bone. You can use a toothpick and work the polish into the hard to get areas.
    Last edited by Bradsknives; 12-24-2013 at 07:49.

User Info Menu

That's a beauty! Given the pattern, it's probably at least a few decades old and the blade is in really good shape.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!