• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Ok I know there are a lot of Firefighters and EMT/Paramedics out there that carry an everyday knife.
    My son is a Paramedic/EMT near Detroit and I am looking to get him a dependable reasonably priced blade for his gear... So far, I know he is looking for:

1. One hand operation... spring assisted?
    2. Lock in closed position (I m not sure why I think it is a department thing.)
    3. Serrated for the inner half of the blade.
    4. Spring loaded or base of handle with glass breaker
    5. Seat belt cutter.

Any suggestions for other useful tools or features would be appreciated.

Myself I carry a ROKU which for me works just fine, (and has the above features..) but I havent been totally pleased with the longevity of the blade... For me its fine, but I think it might be a little bit in-expensive for duty on a fire dept.

Also recommendations on sources would also be helpful...

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I am not a paramedic or rescue responder, but I have seen a few knives fit for such a job.

Check out the Benchmade 916 Triage rescue. It has a non pointed tip if you have to cut near skin, a glass breaker, seat-belt cutter, and a lock. http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-916...&qid=1389832212&sr=8-5&keywords=benchmade+916

They also made a pointed tip version. http://www.amazon.com/Benchmade-915...&qid=1389832192&sr=8-1&keywords=benchmade+915

I'm sure Brads Knives on here can get you better prices as well.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I am not a paramedic or rescue responder, but I have seen a few knives fit for such a job.

Check out the Benchmade 916 Triage rescue. It has a non pointed tip if you have to cut near skin, a glass breaker, seat-belt cutter, and a lock. Benchmade 916 Triage-ComboEdge-Standard-Orange G10 Handles - Amazon.com

They also made a pointed tip version. Benchmade 915 Triage - Amazon.com

I'm sure Brads Knives on here can get you better prices as well.

I would agree with Lammchop93's suggestion, except I would go with the auto version of the Triage. This would give you the one hand operation that your looking for. Your son would have to check the local laws to make sure he is legal to carry an auto. Also, he would need to check with his superiors to make sure he is not breaking any department rules.

9160 Auto Triage® Product Detail

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    You would be better off just using the knife as a belt cutter. keep it sharp and they zip through no problem. based off your categories maybe look at the dpx folder. brad sells them. they have glass breaker and lots of other stuff built in. a lot of knife for the money.

Or you could go with any microtech OTF automatic knife one handed operation. glass breaker. sharp. would work well probably.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    SKD Tactical has a special ZT knife with assisted opening and a tungsten glass breaker. Brad ... can you get those?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Again with Zero Tolerance. Is there a 12 step program for you in Crawfordsville?

Dude, you need either in-patient or just become VP of Midwest Sales for ZT.

You're right. I can't help myself. I have a ZT200, a ZT0301, and a ZT0561 on me RIGHT NOW.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I only have the 0561 on me right now.

I would also recommend the Benchmade listed above. It would be a great knife for any first responder.

The next thing I would recommend is a small fixed blade, but some departments are scared of those for some reason.

Move cut several people out of their seatbelts with "just" a Spyderco Delica. As long as the knife has a decent steel and is sharp, it should do the job.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Can't speak for ambulance operations, but i carry an Esee Izula 2 and have used it for seatbelts, and prying plastic back before we cut on a car and a million other things. with fire gloves on i dont want to be messin with a folder

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Can't speak for ambulance operations, but i carry an Esee Izula 2 and have used it for seatbelts, and prying plastic back before we cut on a car and a million other things. with fire gloves on i dont want to be messin with a folder

i should also say that without thick gloves on, you probably wouldn't want to mess with a glass breaker on a small folder.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    This is why I don't quite understand the fascination of having them on smaller knives (or even bigger ones).

At work I use a pipe with a GAT attached to the end. CSAT GAT- Glass Assault Tool from XS Sights

I would laugh at you for that. you still have to swing it. I dont like swinging because more than likely the reason i am breaking glass is because i need to help someone inside. if someone is inside i would rather have a controlled break w/ a spring glass punch. Its SOP on some dept's i believe.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a TOPS combination prybar/glass breaker in my truck. It's a separate tool from my knives. If I had to break glass with a knife, I know how to do that.

bloodtrail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2013
    Franklin
    As metioned above, I don't think I'd have "glass breaker" as criteria for a knife for professional rescue personnel. Other more appropriate tools are used for glass breaking.

prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I carry the buck redpoint rescue knife.

Has most of the features you want and should be around $35!

The opening is not assisted but works well with one hand even with fire gloves.

Top Bottom