• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    OK. I want to know your top 3 options for a SD carry knife. Fixed or folder. ( So Maybe 3 of each?)
    Also basic price range I should expect.

No I didn't try a search. Why?

I am lazy and you like to talk knives. I await your knowledge. :popcorn:

Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    The Ka-Bar TDI is a good SD knife. I've carried one for around a year. The stock sheath/holster is kinda lousy, but its a great knife.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Usually carry a simple 3 blade Stockman style for about 80% of my needs. I add a Buck 110, or a tactical folder, both work well. If serious hiking, I go with a Kabar, 7in blade USMC style, and ball park pricing for a 2 knife combo price, under $125.00.
    I enjoy bladed knives, and some are way more expensive than my demand is required. They are proven, even a cheapie Mora is a tool to me if needed. The real task is to keep a keen edge, and avoid rust as much as you can.

Good luck, try a few, you will find your favorite.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Usually carry a simple 3 blade Stockman style for about 80% of my needs. I add a Buck 110, or a tactical folder, both work well. If serious hiking, I go with a Kabar, 7in blade USMC style, and ball park pricing for a 2 knife combo price, under $125.00.
    I enjoy bladed knives, and some are way more expensive than my demand is required. They are proven, even a cheapie Mora is a tool to me if needed. The real task is to keep a keen edge, and avoid rust as much as you can.

Good luck, try a few, you will find your favorite.

One of the best all time cutting tools!!

For actually slicing things, it's hard to beat an old Schrade Old Timer 8OT stockman. Except maybe with a higher end, carbon steel stockman. I just wish I'd bought more 8OTs when they were available and cheap.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    What is it you do in your daily life? For someone that on a busy knife day might open one box and a bag of beef Jerky I would suggest something like a Kershaw leek.

Now if you use your knife much more than that, say you are police officer, I would suggest an auto folder like a Benchmade as well as an Esee Ilula II or something comparable. Tell us about your day and your intended use for the knife.

Will it be your backup defense knife?

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    For a folder, I would look for something that is easy to deploy. "Wave" style knives like the Emerson's and Spyderco's can be great, but require some training to effectively deploy. I suppose that goes without saying for any blade you plan on using for SD or backup/weapons retention purposes. I tend to favor flippers and thumb studs......a few good choices in order of budget:

Kershaw Blur
    Kershaw Knockout
    EnZo Birk 75
    ZT0801

Nothing is faster and more reliable than a fixed blade. The Izula series from Esee as others have mentioned is a crowd favorite and a good choice. Esee 3 would be the next step up in size. Also check out:

D2 Eskabar
    BHK Brumby Lite
    Lion Steel M2

Sheaths can make or break fixed blade carry. A well made kydex sheath is an excellent choice and combined with a TekLok, will offer a variety of carry positions.

Considering a knife for SD can be a very personal journey and you may go through a couple till you find out what works best for you. I highly recommend at least some basic FOF training and as much practice as you can fit into your schedule:)

Good luck hunting!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    OK. Even more options. Thanks again. Rhino I had a Schrade Old Tmer with a 4 inch blade when I was about 10. We could still carry them at 16 without a second look from most people or police. That was MI. I will have to check the MA laws, I am sure there are restrictions and the laws will often seem to conflict...

Haven't done any FOF training. Did basic martial arts back in the day. Nothing special. Although we did incorporate wrestling, boxing, and oddly knife fighting. ( Rubber of course) One thing when sparring. The guy with the knife always won. Even 2 and 3 on 1. A good lesson to know! ( 3 slashes OR 1 good stab and you were out)

Last edited:

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    folder: benchmade griptilian
    fixed: ka-bar TDI

I've carried my griptilian every day for about 5 years now, have the old man at the 1500 sharpen it every time I go and its been perfect. Love my TDI as well, carried it while on duty with the sheath between my trouser and duty belt until a department policy change banned fixed blades, never carried it off duty. Gave one to a buddy of mine before he left for afghanistan. he carried it throughout his deployment and it served him well.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Some SOG's are good. Anything by CRKT is never a bad way to go. Some of the higher-end military issue Gerbers are also excellent. I'm also a huge fan of Boker as well. I carried a Boker Rampage all over Iraq. Even got a knife kill with it. (on a mouse)

I got a few autos on order now... Gerber Propel, Boker AK Tanto, and a cheap D/A OTF to play with and annoy the wife. The propel and the AK I will carry.

EDC is all about function, quality, reliability, and personal taste. No one can tell you what to get. I don't like half the knives most people like and everyone carries for a different reason.

I carry for defense and practical applications, such as slaying mice and opening boxes and envelopes. That said, I look for knives that are sturdy, well made, reliable, and look cool. Steel is important to me. I always try to research what the knife is made out of before i buy it.

S30V, AUS8, and 420HC are some great steels for blades. Some of the Chinese steals are also excellent. You just need to do your research on which ones are on par with some of the better US made steels. CRKT is one of the manufacturers that uses Chinese steel almost exclusively, but what they use is on par with AUS8, and is really good stuff.

S30V is about the best stuff going right now. You really can't go wrong with it.

Each steel has it's pros and cons. Some are harder to sharpen than others, but hold an edge longer. The trade-offs are something you will need to make peace with and decide what is most important.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom