• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Bought this bayonet at a flea market. I had no idea what it was at the time, but I was hoping on pure luck it would fit one of my rifles. It didn't, but that's no reason to throw it in the miscellaneous mil-surp liquidation (read: yard sale) box I keep around. I posted it on another forum and it was thought to be an SG 71/84 bayonet with the grips replaced. I want to get a second opinion on it though before deciding on what to do with it.

dy3pet.jpg

2zqbh8m.jpg

a1n03r.jpg

rr0ccw.jpg

2s0yddc.jpg

The only marking I can find is the WKC knight's helmet, though the company name is not stamped on there. No unit or military markings. Blade is either unsharpened or dull. Handle is wooden with metal pins run through it to hold it on. Haven't drifted them out for fear of damaging them. Whoever made the grips did a good job, they fit very well.

So, any second opinions? Fake, original; SG71/84 or another model; what sort of monetary value?

Thanks for looking. Any insight is valuable. Is it common to find these without unit markings? Sorry for blurry pictures working with a not so fantastic camera.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    It looks like a German M1884/98 bayonet to me. The WKC is the manufacturer and the initials stand for Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Co. of Solingen Germany. Most of these were manufactured between 1940-1945 and if the blade and or scabbard have a “Letter Code”, that would indicate this time period. Does it have a serial number? If it has a serial number, the serial number suffix should be a “N”. Note: I have seen these with and without Letter Code markings and without serial numbers. Based on your pics, the wood handles look normal to me and does not look like they have been replaced. As far as value, I'm not up to speed because I haven't dealt in bayonets in over 10 years, but back in the day they were not that expensive and could be bought in the $25 to $40 range depending on condition........today's value, I have no clue. :dunno:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    After looking at the pics some more, I believe the handles have been replaced due to the noticeable gap. Also, if I remember right, the handles are screwed (standard single slot type screw) on, with the nut on the opposite handle counter sunk into the wood.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yes, I looked and couldn't find any handles just affixed with a pin. Also, the metal towards the bottom of the hilt is angled while on the examples of 1884/98s I've been looking at were all straight across. In additon, the presence of the muzzle ring seems most odd. Only marking I've been able to find is the WKC maker's stamp. Perhaps this was some sort of export model? No scabbard with it.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I pulled some reference materials out and it is looking more like a WKC export to Chile....M1895 that has the muzzle ring. These were designed to be used on a M1895 7mm Mauser. There should be a Chilean crest stamped on it....the lack of markings on yours, is confusing and making it much harder to id. :dunno:

Top Bottom