• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Looking to pick up a few multi tools for stashing in various spots ( plate carrier, bug out bags, etc) and I was wondering what tool you guys would recommend in the $50 range?i have a couple of leather man fuses or waves or something like that. It seems like they were around $50. Actually one was a Christmas gift and the other was bought on clearance for like $15! I'm looking for suggestions of other options in that price range. Needing at least a couple of them, so I don't want to get too pricey, but want something with at least the basics that won't break in two with moderate use!

thanks!!

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Tagged.
    I picked up a Leatherman Fuse at Tractor Supply in Elletsville because it was on clearance $25 and was the last Leatherman they had.Three are now discontinued but it's been a great tool.Hinted that I wanted the MUT for father's day but nothing came of that.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Leatherman, they make all sorts of models, just find one that fits your need best, and don't be afraid to spend a little more than $50 to get a model you want, they're worth it.

However.....if you're ever flying out of Raleigh, be warned, apparently in NC a Leatherman MUT looks like a "gun handle" so if TSA accuses you of having a gun in your bag multiple times and you see their hands over over their side arm, it's because your Leatherman that's in your bag that's locked in an Otterbox. Just sayin'

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    However.....if you're ever flying out of Raleigh, be warned, apparently in NC a Leatherman MUT looks like a "gun handle" so if TSA accuses you of having a gun in your bag multiple times and you see their hands over over their side arm, it's because your Leatherman that's in your bag that's locked in an Otterbox. Just sayin'
    :runaway:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Leatherman Surge customized with the pliers that have replaceable carbide cutters. Carried in an XL molle sheath with the bit kit and extra blades for the saw. I just use one tool, multiple sheaths and transfer the stuff between them.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    OK, it sounds like the consensus is to stick with the Leatherman line!

Here's how I carry my Fuse every day at work. After nearly a year, its a little worse for wear, but still carries just great!

https://www.facebook.com/M2bKydex/p...7040146481512/238137206371805/?type=1&theater

I have a stainless one too, but the big, flathead screwdriver blade broke off. Apparently they aren't designed to pry open sewer manhole covers!

Now, any place that's considerably cheaper to buy the various leathermen from?

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I carry a Leatherman Blast daily, I also have a Victronox (Swiss Army) that is awesome. Both have been great.

The victorinox swisstool is often overlooked.

Even though it is like carrying a small brick, it toughness and durability can't be matched. I've carried one for 10 years, and use it everyday at work; cutting meter seals, skinning big wire, screwing, prying, and just about anything else. I love it.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Leatherman gets my vote. I think the quality is probably better than their competition and their warranty is hard to beat. I had one that was in a house fire, and sat in water for a month or so. It was literally fuzzy and orange, as well as locked up tighter than a drum. Asked Leatherman if there was anything they could do, they said send it in, and it came back good as new at no charge to me. Made me a fan for life.

I also have several of the military issued Gerbers stashed in every vehicle, but I don't have much if anything in them. They seem to work fine, but are definitely subpar to a Leatherman.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The victorinox swisstool is often overlooked.

Even though it is like carrying a small brick, it toughness and durability can't be matched. I've carried one for 10 years, and use it everyday at work; cutting meter seals, skinning big wire, screwing, prying, and just about anything else. I love it.

I usually always recommend them. but he said 50 dollars. I don't think there is a tougher multitool out there. I love mine but it will run you in the 70-80 price range.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gerber has been on my hip for the last 20 years. Original was stolen after 10 years of daily service. Replaced it and still using the replacement daily. I have seen folks blow through several Leathermen in the same time frame under the same conditions. Leathermen are OK for occasional use. My Gerber's serve me well.

Top Bottom